Is there an essential, inevitable conflict between liberalism and Christianity? Conservatives certainly seem to think so. That, of course, might just be a coincidence - an example of people reading their own personal, ideological preferences into their religion. Or they might have a point.
This is How Christians Feel
Photo: Dick Makin/Getty
Then there's a third option: both might be true to a certain extent. There's no doubt that conservatives are using their political and social preferences to interpret their religion, just as liberals do. This can be seen especially clearly when we see lies about liberalism and what liberals want.
At the same time, though, there are liberal goals and policies which do genuinely conflict with legitimate aspects of Christianity - or at least, with how Christianity has been legitimately understood and practiced by Christians. This may not be a necessary conflict, but it's a situation where it's reasonable for a person to see a conflict.
TRUE PRACTICING CHRISTIANS DO NOT VOTE LIBERAL
1. Liberal officials openly support anti-Christian issues and organizations, such as ACLU, AU, NOW, GLTF, GLSN, PP, etc who are working to remove all traces of Christianity from school textbooks, the government and all public institutions.
2. Liberals appoint federal judges who judge and legislate by their own anti-Christian bias, rather than upholding the Constitution as written and intended by our founders.
3. Liberals support the teaching of the unfounded theory of Creation by Evolution in our schools and oppose any mention of Intelligent Design or Creation by God.
4. Liberal officials vote for legislation to support abortion for any reason and euthanasia, and to do so at taxpayer expense. Also that taxpayers should pay for contraceptives.
5. Liberals promote special rights for homosexuals, bi-sexuals and transgenders, plus teaching all grade levels that these anti-Biblical life styles are normal and good. They also oppose marriage being limited to one man and one woman, as God intended.
6. Liberals believe that our rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness come from the Government, rather than our Creator, as written in the Declaration of Independence..
7. Liberal officials oppose posting of the Ten Commandments, other Christian displays, and voluntary prayer in schools and any public place.
8. All mention of "God" was removed from the 2012 Democrat platform. When an amendment was passed at the Democrat Convention to re-insert the word "God" in one place, the majority of delegates verbally voted against it.
9. The ultimate goal of Liberalism is secular, humanist socialism. They contend this is a secular and not a Christian Nation, as designed by our founders.
This list is a curious mixture of truth and fantasy. That conservative Christians would believe both elements equally and mix them together like this should say something about them, but I'm not sure what. I certainly can't think of anything good.
Liberals do want public schools to teach actual science (evolution) instead of religion (creationism). It doesn't speak well of conservatives or conservative Christianity when they object to this or when they insist that teaching science is contrary to Christianity.
Liberals do not want to eliminate voluntary prayer in public places. People pray voluntarily all the time. What liberals oppose is when the government provides special privileges, support, endorsement, or funding for Christian prayers. It doesn't speak well of conservative or conservative Christianity conflate the two and lie by claiming the former when all that's happening is the latter.