1. Religion & Spirituality

Austin Cline

Witchcraft and the Inquisition: Inquisition Suppressing Dissent & Outsiders

By August 20, 2012

Witches at Satan's Court
Image Source:
Jupiter Images
As the Inquisition proceeded through the 1400s, its focus shifted from Jews and heretics towards so-called witches. Although Pope Gregory IX had authorized the killing of witches back in the 1200s, the fad just didn't catch on. In 1484, Pope Innocent VIII issued a bull declaring that witches did indeed exist and thus it became a heresy to believe otherwise. This was quite a reversal because in 906 the Canon Episocopi, a church law, declared that belief in the existence and operation of witchcraft was heresy.

Read Article: Witchcraft and the Inquisition: Using the Inquisition to Suppress Dissent & Outsiders

Comments
October 4, 2006 at 2:28 am
(1) I AM0NETRUCRISTHIAN says:

ACCEPT THE LORD JESUS CHRIST AS YOUR SAVIOR BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE!!! >>
President Bush would not be in the White House right now if God didn’t want him there. President Bush was put in a position of leadership in order to wipe the devil’s religion of Islam off the face of the Earth, so that the Christian God can fill the world with His message of peace and love. President Bush has stated numerous times that he speakes with God in the Oval Office, he even asked God for military advice before the invasion of Iraq. Modern liberalism is the equivalent of atheism, liberals are in favor of killing babies, raising taxes, teaching evolution, and same sex marriage. Jesus is opposed to all of these horrible things.

October 6, 2006 at 3:17 pm
(2) Ann Perry says:

Dear I AMONETRUCRISTHIAN….you are one poor speller. And I’m surprised to hear that Jesus opposed raising taxes, teaching evolution and same sex marriage, inasmuch as he didn’t mention those things…

October 6, 2006 at 3:29 pm
(3) Leanne Hildebrand says:

Dear I AMONETRUCHRISTHIAN … Does it not strike you as oxymoronic that the god of peace and love wants to wipe out several million people? And if god wants George Bush in office then he must also want Castro and Kim in control of Cuba and North Korea. While we’re at it let’s just eliminate all taxes (even though Jesus said to give to Caesar what is Caesar’s)hence doing away with our highways, social programs and, oh yes, Bush’s salary. Sounds like a plan to me.

October 6, 2006 at 3:34 pm
(4) Don says:

You sure are one STUPID christian

October 6, 2006 at 4:08 pm
(5) Mark says:

Commenter #1:

As I have said before, you are, in fact, a demented half-wit. If it’s indeed true that nothing happens in this world that your God and beloved Jeebus did not already approve, such as George Bush in the White House again, then so it is also that God approves torture, rape, incest, famine, plague, genocide, mass murder, dental plaque, suicide, childhood leukemia, colorectal cancer, genital mutilation, bad breath, mosquitoes, typhoid, necrotizing fasciitis, bestiality, slavery, Yanni, and any other unpleasantness you can name. I imagine that, as a true Christian, you can name quite a few.

Now, were we to find a human being committing any one of these acts, or standing idly by and allowing or even encouraging these things to happen, we would subject them to arrest, trial, and, if found guilty, severe penalties, up to and including death. Were we to find a group of humans committing any one of these acts, we would stop them by any means possible, up to and including war. Survivors would be arrested, tried, and, if found guilty, penalized along the same guidelines.

Any atheist would judge your so-called supreme being to be a bloodthirsty and rapacious monster, its writings to be blasphemous propaganda, and its apologists misguided fools inflicted with an extreme version of Stockholm syndrome. True, we are judging purely by human standards, but I ask you, OneTurdChristian, by what other standard could I possibly judge? To assume any other role would be to call myself more than human, or other than human, which is an act of supreme arrogance I leave to the holy hollowmen.

And what is it, exactly, OneTrueCrustacean, that you bring to us of value? Demands for money so that we can bribe our way into paradise everlasting? A text of God Swill that tells us we are fashioned from mud for the sole purpose of enduring hardship, judgement, and wrath, for an offense that none of us were responsible for to begin with? Guilt and shame and obligations! No more of this. By standing up in defiance against the violent insantity of a cosmic monarchy, the atheist exhibits a far more moral and far more respectful attitude toward humanity than the fundamentally religious person. You can wallow in the slime of your supposed shame and wickendness if you wish; I choose to stand and walk out of the mud. Come on along when you’re ready.

October 6, 2006 at 8:28 pm
(6) Neil says:

If you so-called ‘god” has anything to do with the misery George Bush has inflicted upon the human population, you might be better off keeping quiet about it.

Secondly, if accepting ‘jesus christ as your saviour’ really means spending enternity with the likes of you, I’d rather take my chances in the fiery lake….

October 6, 2006 at 9:22 pm
(7) John Hanks says:

“God” is a presence, not a Hercules. It is sad that crook religion turns out so many half-baked and juvenile suckers.

October 7, 2006 at 12:36 am
(8) Jambo says:

Jesus may oppose these things, but he allows them to occur. Do you think you are better than Jesus? Are you going to help save the poor nonbelievers? Why don’t you people go and sing some hymns and leave the rest of us alone? If god did all of those things, he also made all of us nonbelievers. Did he just put me here so you would have a challenge, so you could gain some life experience from telling me about the invisible man in the sky? Get real. Pull your head out.

October 9, 2006 at 12:55 am
(9) PercyFerry says:

What fantastic reasoning! Oh, if only sweet baby Cheeses had told dubyah where those WMD’s were!

October 9, 2006 at 11:58 am
(10) Dan says:

These people are truly dangerous. I frankly think it’s a waste of time to try to talk rationally with them. Rationality and logic mean nothing to them. It would be fine if they were just a lunatic fringe. Unfortunately, it appears one of them is in the Oval Office.

December 2, 2008 at 4:54 pm
(11) Ron says:

0NETRUCRISTHIAN
Thought I would take a moment of my time to bring you up to date. Last night God appeared to me as a vision. He informed me that he was very unhappy with the way G W Bush has been managing things, so he caused the people to appoint Barack Obama and give him a chance to have a go at it. :)

December 2, 2008 at 5:13 pm
(12) John Hanks says:

Many atheists have the magical belief that the religious can be converted using facts and ideas.

December 3, 2008 at 8:07 pm
(13) fauxrs says:

No way does god support Yanni