1. Religion & Spirituality

Austin Cline

Readers' Choice Awards - Favorite Agnostic / Atheist Facebook Page of 2011

By February 22, 2012

Readers' Choice Awards

It seems that everyone uses Facebook these days, doesn't it? You can't get away from it, but some people have done a nice job using Facebook to promote their causes, ideas, or organizations. Atheists are no exception, so there are lots of atheists on Facebook and lots of Facebook fan pages. Which do you like the best?

Any Facebook fan page or group is eligible so long as it is run by atheists, agnostics, skeptics, and freethinkers and is about atheism, agnosticism, freethought, church/state separation, etc.

Here are links to each of the Facebook pages that are finalists for the Favorite Agnostic / Atheist Facebook Page of 2011:

Readers Choice Awards - All Voting Pages

Previous Favorite Agnostic / Atheist Facebook Page Winners:

Comments
February 22, 2012 at 6:28 pm
(1) mike says:

um what about god of the week? thats the BEST one

March 5, 2012 at 9:35 am
(2) Lordmccormick says:

Clearly mike clicked on the wrong link

March 8, 2012 at 12:07 am
(3) Gimmeth says:

My vote goes to ExposingReligion. Excellent fb site.
My second vote goes to James Randi’s JREF page.
Oh and don’t forget Skepticality host Derek Colanduno.

March 9, 2012 at 5:27 am
(4) Austin Cline says:

Gimmeth: Did you nominate any of them?

March 8, 2012 at 8:39 am
(5) im jellybeanz says:

How come not the one in my URL? If you read their Mission on their homepage, they are clearly doing all they can to inform the general public. I know many people who subscribe to them and really like the information they provide.

March 9, 2012 at 5:28 am
(6) Austin Cline says:

Jelly: did you nominate them?

July 12, 2012 at 4:59 pm
(7) Kirsty says:

Global Secular Humanist Movement should not be on this list. The Global Secular Humanist Movement is meant to be beyond Atheism this page should change its name it doesnt represent the Global Secular Humanist Movement.

July 12, 2012 at 5:08 pm
(8) Kirsty says:

Global Secular Humanist Movement should not be on this list. Global Secular Humanist Movement is not just about Atheism its beyond Atheism. The Global Secular Humanist Movement facebook page does not represent the movement correctly. If it wants to be a Atheist page it should change its name

July 14, 2012 at 2:00 pm
(9) Kaitlyn says:

Secular Humanist Movement and Atheism are two different things why is Global Secular Humanist Movement fb page on this list

July 14, 2012 at 3:28 pm
(10) Austin Cline says:

Because they were nominated, obviously. It says so clearly above: “Readers nominated a lot of different Facebook pages and now we have the five finalists for you to vote on.”

July 16, 2012 at 4:34 pm
(11) Kaitlyn says:

i know they where nominated OBVIOUSLY but they shouldnt be that page it is false advertising. As Secular Humanist Movement is not Atheism. They page should call its self an Atheist page if thats what it wants to be

July 16, 2012 at 9:03 pm
(12) Austin Cline says:

Why?

As Secular Humanist Movement is not Atheism.

So?

1. Atheism is not a proper noun. It’s not an ideology, belief system, philosophy, or anything like that. By capitalizing it, you give the impression that you don’t comprehend what it is.

2. Secular humanism is not the same as atheism and secular humanists need not be atheists, but for the most part they are and secular humanist groups today tend to be primarily atheist.

They page should call its self an Atheist page if thats what it wants to be

It promotes a philosophy in which gods play no role. That makes it an atheistic philosophy.

July 17, 2012 at 3:42 pm
(13) Kaitlyn says:

Secular humanism and atheism are not identical. One can be an atheist and not a secular humanist or humanist. Indeed, some thinkers or activists who call themselves atheists explicitly reject humanist ethical values (for example, Stalin, Lenin, Nietzsche, and others). Nor is secular humanism the same thing as humanism by itself; it is surely sharply different from religious humanism.

I should also make it clear that secular humanism is not antireligious; it is simply nonreligious. There is a difference. Secular humanists are nontheists; they may be atheists, agnostics, or skeptics about the God question and/or immortality of the soul. To say that we are nonreligious means, that is, that we are not religious; ours is a scientific, ethical, and philosophical life stance. I have used the term eupraxsophy to denote our beliefs and values as a whole. This means that, as secular humanists, we offer good practical wisdom based on ethics, science, and philosophy.

The term secular should make it clear that secular humanists are not religious. In contrast, the term religious humanism is unfortunate. It has been used by some humanists to denote a kind of moral and śsthetic commitment to a set of ideals and practices; but this is most confusing. Often it serves to sneak in some quasi-spiritual and/or transcendental aspect of experience and practice, aping religion.

July 17, 2012 at 3:59 pm
(14) Austin Cline says:

Why did you think that copying and pasting Paul Kurtz’s words, without attributing and so presenting them as your own, would be considered acceptable? Have you ever even met Paul Kurtz?

Secular humanism and atheism are not identical.

I know, my wife has written about that..

I know, I’ve written about that.

I know, I’ve written about that.

The term secular should make it clear that secular humanists are not religious

I know, I’ve written about that.

It’s noteworthy that nothing you have written here actually supports your original complaint. Perhaps it would have been better to use your own words instead of presenting someone else’s words as your own.

July 17, 2012 at 4:22 pm
(15) skepsis says:

Atheism is simply a philosophical stance that says no supernatural deities exist. It has no contingent moral obligations.

Secular humanism is a social commitment to the common good of humanity. It does not require faith in anything other than the worth of preserving humanity and improving its wellbeing.

July 17, 2012 at 7:24 pm
(16) Austin Cline says:

No, it’s simply the absence of belief in gods of any sort.

And posting as different people is just as dishonest as posting other people’s words as if they were your own.

Which, as demonstrated by the links I posted, I do.

so i posted Paul Kurtz’s

…as if they were your own.

I used Paul Kurtz’s words as you where a Director of the Secular Humanist Council with that i thought you would know the Difference between atheism and secular humanist.

I do.

And I’m still waiting for you to support your original complaint. Given your total lack of honesty, though, I doubt you’ll ever even try.

You don’t even know what atheism is.

July 17, 2012 at 4:25 pm
(17) Kaitlyn says:

I thought with being on the council you would have a more idea of the difference between atheism and Secular Humanist so i posted Paul Kurtzís

July 17, 2012 at 6:04 pm
(18) Kaitlyn says:

I used Paul Kurtzís words as you where a Director of the Secular Humanist Council with that i thought you would know the Difference between atheism and secular humanist. I have onset dementia so my brain dont work as good as it did but i can still see the difference between the two of them

July 21, 2012 at 5:42 pm
(19) Marvin says:

Kaitlyn/skepsis:

Good grief! Mountain? Molehill?

It would seem it doesn’t take a theist to confuse a mote and a beam. Then again, perhaps you are a theist, and that explains your objection to the inclusion of a secular humanist site.