1. Religion & Spirituality

Austin Cline

Southern Baptist Leader Praying for Obama's Assassination

By June 13, 2009

Loving Christians sometimes seem to love violence and death more than they love other human beings. At least that's the message I have to take away from seeing Christians openly praying and hoping for the death of politicians whose political agenda they disagree with. How is it that Christians imagine that they can get away with endorsing political assassinations but sound pious and moral while doing so?
[Wiley] Drake [former SBC second vice president] said June 2 on "The Alan Colmes Show" that unless Obama repents, he is praying that God will kill the president. Drake said he believes that is what happened to slain abortion provider George Tiller, who was shot to death while attending church in Wichita, Kan., on Sunday, May 31.

Describing the interview on "The Wiley Drake Show" on Crusade Radio June 3, Drake said Colmes invited him on the program because someone had asked him about his initial response to news that Tiller had died.

"I've been a Baptist pastor for a long time, been in the pro-life fight, been face-to-face with Tiller, told him about Jesus, and I've seen many, many others tell him about Jesus over and over and over again," Drake said. "And I've seen horrific things that go on in those death abortuaries -- and that's what they are -- and so my initial response to those people, they said, 'Well what was your response,' and I said, 'Well, in all honesty I have to just respond directly and say I am glad that he's dead.'"

In the Fox interview, Drake, pastor of First Southern Baptist Church in Buena Park, Calif., called Obama "a usurper" and claimed he is "not an American-born citizen." Challenged for referring to the president as "B. Hussein Obama," Drake denied calling him that because it makes him sound like a Muslim. "I call him that because it's his name," Drake insisted.

Accused of holding views on the fringe of American culture, Drake acknowledged: "It is a fringe point of view, and I take that as a badge of honor. I am on the fringe."

Source: Associated Baptist Press

At least he admits that he's on the fringe, but in doing so he also admits that the majority of Christians in America don't agree with him. I wonder how that makes him feel? What I'd really like to see if for prominent Christian leaders and especially Southern Baptist leaders openly, unambiguously, and soundly condemn these views. Conservative evangelical Christians complain about moderate Muslims not doing enough to push back against Muslim extremists, so where is the push-back from moderate Christians against this self-admitted extremist?

Drake said Southern Baptists have lost belief in "imprecatory prayer" -- praying passages from the Psalms where the Psalmist is asking God to bring death and misfortune on his enemies -- and need to regain the practice.

"It is in the Bible, and we are proud to say as Southern Baptists that we believe the Book," he said. "You've got to believe the whole Book, brother, or you don't believe any of it."

Maybe most Christians have dumped the concept of "imprecatory prayer" because they progressed morally and politically beyond the Bronze Age where Drake is trying to draw the concept back out from. Perhaps it's just too much to ask Wiley Drake to behave less like an illiterate Bronze Age sheepherder and more like a 21st century adult. It would be nice if he could make the shift because then he could help move Christians forwards rather than trying to drag them backwards like this.

"You would like for the president of the United States to die?" Colmes asked once more.

"If he does not turn to God and does not turn his life around, I am asking God to enforce imprecatory prayers that are throughout the Scripture that would cause him death, that's correct."

Source: Associated Baptist Press

So it appears that Wiley Drake expects or hopes his god will take action specifically because he asks for it. He's not saying that God will necessarily strike Obama down for not following certain rules; instead, he's saying that he hopes God will fulfill his request to strike Obama down. This would make him necessarily complicit in the act so if Obama does die and Drake claims that this prayers were the reason why, can he be charged as an accessory to murder?

Just in case you had any doubts that Wiley Drake might be insane, consider this:

Drake said he did not believe Tiller's accused killer is a pro-life Christian.

"I'm of the opinion -- and now everybody's going to say 'There goes Wiley down the conspiracy-theory road,' I'm of the opinion that somebody in the Obama camp had this guy killed."

"Who benefits the most from this man killing a doctor?" Drake asked. "We certainly don't. Pro-life people certainly don't. It hurts us. It damages us, but Obama will indeed advance it. This will be one of those crises to take advantage of, and he's already done that."

Right, the fact that a man with a long history of anti-choice activism and violence was arrested and has a lot of evidence against him means nothing. It must have been Obama in the library with a lead pipe simply because no "real" Christian could commit murder in the name of a holy cause. Real Christians pray that God will commit murder. Or something like that.

Comments
June 13, 2009 at 5:13 pm
(1) Yossarian says:

I “pray” that Eris, Goddess of Chaos will strike Drake dead. I also “pray” that the Feds will start looking into these anti-choice terrorist instead of the anti-war protesters.

June 14, 2009 at 5:46 am
(2) Blunderov says:

Leaving aside the legal and moral implications of Drake’s utterances, it is clear that he is an extremist and also, by his own lights, blasphemous.

Given that he believes in both the unlimited power of God and the power of prayer it seems excessive that he should pray for Obama’s death when there are so many other prayers that he could offer instead. Like, just for instance, praying that Obama does in fact “repent” – or is the Lord, in Drake’s estimation, more capable of murder than enlightenment? What kind of religion IS this? Voodoo?

“By their fruits ye shall know them”. Drake is a stunted human being and a religious pygmy.

June 15, 2009 at 10:53 am
(3) JerryM says:

Why doesn’t he do something constructive and pray for the death of dictators in the 3rd world. Seems to me, that God would have killed Stalin before he wouild have killed Obama.

June 20, 2009 at 3:08 pm
(4) Bob Wood says:

If we can get enough religion we can all be dead. A heaven filled with the likes of Wiley Drake doesn’t sound all that heavenly.

June 25, 2009 at 4:48 pm
(5) Matthew says:

As a Southern Baptist I would like to leave this comment. I don’t agree with Drake, but would like to express my own view.

first off, I believe in just war: that means that I believe that there are certain criteria that make it acceptable to go to war and kill people. Do a google search for a full list of criteria, but one of the reasons that make it acceptable to go to war is so you can avoid more deaths. Killing Hitler so that he wouldn’t kill millions of Jews is acceptable.
But calling for the assasination of a public leader like this is unacceptable. While I don’t agree with Obama’s views, he has certainly not done anything that would justify his killing. One could argue (I won’t) that his view on abortion is wrong, and killing him would save millions of babies lives. But if he didn’t authorize that then someone else would.
In my Christian view, the main problem that anyone has is sin (and I do believe that abortion would fall under that). Basically, I believe that anything that is not done to honor God is sin. We are all afflicted with it and I believe that God has the right to kill all of us, because we have all done things to not honor him in one way or another. He chooses not to in his mercy, and provides a way for us to go to him through his son.

I welcome any comments directed back to me, if anything needs clarified then I will do so.

August 13, 2009 at 5:01 pm
(6) yeahthat'sme says:

I’m a Christian, but not one of those “believe every word of the Book or none of it” Christians. Way too much bizarre, not to mention outdated, stuff in there. I, and the other Christians I know, would NEVER pray to cause anyone harm, no matter what their belief. I wouldn’t even pray to strike this idiot Drake down. Drake and those like him will do that on their own!

September 12, 2009 at 6:00 am
(7) pana says:

My goodness, what Bible does Drake read and what Jesus does he follow. If you’re reading this be sure to follow Jesus and his examples and teachings. Where is LOVE gone in your claim if christianity. Very sad to see that there are so called Christians like Drake.

November 30, 2009 at 10:06 pm
(8) Jonathan McFarllen says:

What sad days these are. I can tell you the outcome of this event for me. I am leaving the Southern Baptist Church and I’m joining a local Methodist Church where our pastor has liberal leanings. I waited for days…nothing from Jerry Falwell nothing from the SBC no one. I waited for months and this is still dragging on .
I think that prayer is taken out of context, Little wonder Marcion thought the God of the Old Testament was different than Jesus.
Any way I think Obama is an enemy as an enemy I will follow what Jesus told me to pray for him.

Luke 6:27-36

[27] “But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, [28] bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. [29] If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. [30] Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. [31] Do to others as you would have them do to you.

[32] “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even ‘sinners’ love those who love them. [33] And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even ‘sinners’ do that. [34] And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even ‘sinners’ lend to ‘sinners,’ expecting to be repaid in full. [35] But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. [36] Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

June 8, 2010 at 3:50 am
(9) 2edgesword says:

Let the LORD manage all things. You are saying blah……blah.. and you can’t do nothing..

The LORD has planned everything until all the signs of a times will appear..

September 24, 2010 at 7:21 am
(10) Surfin Sapo says:

Obama isn’t the ememy. Satan is the enemy. Pray for God’s will be done in Obama’s life. He is a human being just like all of us. He won the election fair and square too. If you preach hate all the time, don’t be surprised if that is what enters your own life and God takes you out first… Read: Matthew chapter 5.