1. Religion & Spirituality

Austin Cline

Atheist Women Envy Muslim Women?

By September 15, 2005

Islamic tradition forces women into an inferior role in society because it is assumed that men won't be able to control themselves around women. Instead of blaming men and getting men to exercise self-control, women are segregated for the good of society. Some Muslims can't seem to understand why everyone doesn't think this is a good idea.

Waleed (from Saudi Arabia) argues that Islam is beneficial for women, concluding:

How can we then explain to Muslim women that atheist women of the west do envy them for the boon and blessing of Islam? Muslim women have to know that their counterparts in the west lost the treasures of life, the secret of happiness and the mercy of the delight when they abandoned the teachings of Islam.

Iíve known many atheist women, and none expressed the slightest envy for Muslim women in Saudi Arabia who cannot go out in public without being completely covered. Iíve known many theist women, too, and strangely none of them expressed any such envy, either.

In fact, Iíll bet that Waleed doesnít know a single atheist woman of any sort, much less any that have expressed envy for Muslim women in Saudi Arabia. So unless he meant to say something else and expressed himself badly because heís not using his native language, it sounds like heís just making junk up in order to make himself feel better about his religion.

Whatís interesting is the fact that when it comes to just about every standard, Saudi Arabia is not of the more attractive places to live in the world. When was the last time they produced anything of significant value in terms of art, literature, science, or philosophy?Educational opportunities are poor and job prospects are worse. At the same time, the nation brings in huge amounts of money from oil revenues ó if any nation were prosperous, it should be them. The reasons have to be sought in Saudi Arabiaís culture ó a culture defined by an extreme devotion to religious traditionalism which Waleed thinks is envied by others.

What a joke...

Read More:

Comments
August 27, 2007 at 11:18 pm
(1) waleed says:

thanks for visiting my space and i hope to see another blogs .. in fact i dont have any answer except what allah (The god) had said in the Quran (Book of god)(15:2): [How much will those who disbelieved desire that they were Muslims (those who have submitted themselves to All‚h's Will in Isl‚m Isl‚mic Monotheism - this will be on the Day of Resurrection when they will see the disbelievers going to Hell and the Muslims going to Paradise).]

see in my space :)

take care
waleed

October 7, 2010 at 6:31 pm
(2) Tatiana says:

Natural things which can’t not be seen with the human eye, yet you believe in these…
Air, gravity,time, viruses bacteria, atoms, wind, radiation,mitochondria and chloroplasts, prokaryotic cells so if all these have existed long before you ever believe in them…why is it so unreasonable to believe in a Sovereign Supernatural being…God?

October 8, 2010 at 8:26 am
(3) Austin Cline says:

I don’t “believe in” them, I accept the evidence that they exist.

I will when you provide comparable evidence for a “Sovereign Supernatural Being.”

October 15, 2010 at 10:50 pm
(4) George says:

Hey Waleed, where is your physical proof of Hell and Paradise?
Books and musings don’t count.

October 16, 2010 at 6:36 pm
(5) dave Y says:

Waleem and Tatiana, you are both out of your minds, you are both blaming the current situations in the world on a lack of respect for the religious nonsense that has caused the situation, It is the people that belive in your God that have caused the situation, and not a one of them that believe in your God has done anythin to fix the situation!
this belief in your God has never helped a single human in the history of these beliefs, yet you folks keep saying it wil be different this time around.

the simple reality is that if you keep doing the same thing over and over again and always expect a different result this time around, your insane!!

October 18, 2010 at 11:48 am
(6) choo says:

I believe and always do,that god is only for dead people. Why else when believers always proclaim that when u die its either heaven or hell. And also that is the time to be with your creator or god. Kind of funny, so what the hell are we living beings going to do with god? I say to hell with god!

July 23, 2013 at 9:15 am
(7) Iffy says:

Though I am not a supporter of Saudi’s Law on women, I think you’ll find that what Saudi does and what Islam says are not always compatible.

I’m disappointed that you believe Islam puts women in an inferior position, and I blame your ignorance/misconceptions. Islam has given more rights to women then men. The reason behind Hijab is so that women are recognised as intellectual beings with thoughts rather then sex objects. I find it degrading on behalf of women when I see stripped women strewn across advertisements in order to sell products.

Really Hijab, like religion is based on choice. And I agree that Extremist people out there do force it on. But please refrain from making unsupported statements like ‘women are inferior in Islam’. You seem reasonably smart, so just think before hand, okay.

July 24, 2013 at 11:41 am
(8) Austin Cline says:

Except you can’t point to any errors being made.

Islam has given more rights to women then men.

Prove it.

But not intellectual enough to make their own decisions about what they wear.

And what about the men who are treated in a similar manner? I don’t see you calling for men to be covered up.

Demanding that women be covered more in public than men is to demand that women be treated as inferior.