1. Religion & Spirituality

Austin Cline

Deepak Chopra's Anti-Evolution Nuttiness

By August 27, 2005

Usually we only find religious conservatives attacking evolution. Attacks on evolution may sometimes be motivated by conservative religious beliefs, but in the end opposition to evolution is fueled most of all by an inability to think clearly and coherently. This is demonstrated by left-leaning anti-evolutionists, like Deepak Chopra.

PZ Myers critiques Deepak Chopraís most recent anti-evolution commentary, concluding:

Deepak Chopra is a disgrace to the medical profession. That he peddles snake oil is bad enough, but this article of his also shows how deeply stupid the man is.

I caught a few minutes of this smug fraud on Larry King tonightóI just about threw a shoe through the screen. How did this guy get a medical degree, specialize in neuroendocrinology, and become chief of staff at a regional medical center while being so poorly educated that he can argue about pulmonary function requiring that an oxygen molecule acquire intelligence? I feel like Iím going to have to give my doctor a test in basic physiology on my next visit before I can trust her.

I have to agree: Deepak Chopra is a disgrace, but not just to the medical profession. Heís a disgrace to anyone and everyone who values science and clear thinking. Carl Zimmer even catches him talking about how photons could be conscious. Photos that are conscious?

Well, I guess that such views canít be surprising when Chopra regurgitates so many standard anti-evolution arguments that have all been refuted a million times. Deepak Chopra either didnít do any research before opening his mouth or, if he did, he didnít understand any of it. It really is a wonder that he was able to get a medical degree. If a person lacking the most rudimentary critical thinking skills can manage it, then Myers may be right to be worried about his own physician.

Sekptico has more on Deepak Chopraís insistence on saying ridiculous things.

Read More:

Comments
Gerard(1)

Bit late to comment but I will anyway. Firstly, anyone bleating personal abuse while debating such important issues as evolution don’t belong in the debate. Secondly, I’m not an expert by any means but anyone who says that evolution has been nailed and answers all of the questions is deluding themselves. It has at least a big part to play and may well prove to provide us with the full answer one day. But for now, we have only just scratched the surface. On a personal note, I’m completely non religious by the way, but for me athiesm can be worse than religion. Claiming to have all the answers based on our vast, all knowing scientific knowledge I find incredible. No way we have got anything wrong! Austin, Athiesm is your religion.

December 15, 2009 at 5:43 am

Secondly, Iím not an expert by any means but anyone who says that evolution has been nailed and answers all of the questions is deluding themselves.

And who has actually said this?

It has at least a big part to play

Only a part? And in what?

On a personal note, Iím completely non religious by the way, but for me athiesm can be worse than religion.

Feel free to explain how and why.

Once again, who has claimed this? Only people in your imagination?

No way we have got anything wrong! Austin, Athiesm is your religion.

Prove it.

Don’t just make assertions and accusations ó provide citation and evidence to back them up.

December 15, 2009 at 6:26 am
Doug Shaver(3)

Gerard, Austin can speak for himself, but atheism is not my religion. I am an atheist, and I used to be religious. Believe me, I know what the difference is.

December 18, 2009 at 2:48 pm
Tom Edgar(4)

Gerard there was no need to preface with”I am no expert”. It was evident in what you wrote.

Firstly atheism is simply no belief in Gods. Reason? No evidence to negate that understanding.

Secondly there isn’t a single evolutionist who has ever said we have found ALL the answers, on the contrary, because of the nature of the materials, and the unlikely situation of ever finding every piece of supporting evidence, nobody will ever claim that this can happen. BUT every piece of evidence discovered so far has supported the theory and not a single piece has negated it.

Thirdly nobody bleated personal abuse about Deepak Chopra. About his idiotic pronouncements yes, about his equally fatuous and unsubstantiated pseudo scientific
theories yes. It is definitely in the realms of critical analysis to point out the man’s inadequacies.

Fourthly. May I point out you seem to be even less qualified than you actually claim for yourself as you evidently do not understand what an atheist is, this being emphasised by the fact that you can’t even spell atheist, don’t you have “Spellcheck?”

December 18, 2009 at 5:52 pm

Evolution challenges the Genesis stories. Some day, evolution may be looked back upon as a story too. Science is a method for changing stories, though it tries to adhere to fact.

December 19, 2009 at 11:48 am

Deepak Chopra is a speculative philoaopher. He is not an analytical one. If he wants to speculate about angels on pins, that is fine with me. His assertions still have to pass the scientific tests though.

December 19, 2009 at 11:55 am
youreallyarentanexpert(7)

proverbial Your funny, you assume that all of the science community is gung ho for evolution yet I assume you’re not aware of the insane dogma within the structure of science and the community, Darwin’s theory is just that, and any one with enough sense understands that the theory just like many has a good amount of flaws, what is even more sad is your inability to separate those within the science community who want to actually learn something, with right winged dogmatic religious nuts. Because you cannot see “god” or whatever energy or source as anything but a fictional bearded man in the sky, you will never be able to comprehend what science actually is about. It is sad that so many atheists have in them the very thing they despise in so many others, a bigoted mentality and dogma. I am not saying religion is the way, as I do not believe in any religion, but I am saying that you are a complete incompetent moron if you rule out anything aside from evolution, we are only human beings and we cannot comprehend fully something that transcends our own reality. Nothing can be proven or disproven 100% and that is especially the case when it comes to science. Maybe you should educate yourself before writing an article…

February 22, 2010 at 10:42 am
Todd(8)

*sigh* Let me guess, you buy into the myth that agnosticism is the golden path because it’s not dogmatic like atheism.

It’s rude of you to assume Austin hasn’t read about evolution.

Gravity and plate tectonics are “just” theories. Yet you fall and there are earthquakes.

A theory is an attempt to describe the evidence. Scientist revise theories based on evidence. Were evidence to arise that proved evolution doesn’t happen, they would revise or abandon the theory.

Were you homeschooled?

February 26, 2010 at 2:40 pm
Paul Buchman(9)

youreallyarentanexpert says, “I do not believe in any religion.”

I doubt that. S/he writes just like the xians who write comments here. I think saying that makes the writer think their words will have more credibility here.

February 26, 2010 at 3:00 pm