1. Religion & Spirituality

Austin Cline

Billy Graham: Anti-semite?

By July 1, 2005

One of the nation's most famous and beloved evangelists, Billy Graham, has what appears to be an antisemitic past. His most recent and ostensibly final Crusade was praised and hyped in the press, but nowhere did you read criticisms of what Graham said in the past - much less his lame excuses today.

Stupid Evil Bastard writes:

Back in 1994 H. R. Haldeman published his White House diaries in which he revealed a conversation between the Rev. Billy Graham and President Nixon that took place in 1972 about how to deal with the problem of the “satanic Jews” whom Graham felt maintained a “total Jewish domination of the media.” This allegation was completely at odds with the public image America had of Billy Graham and, as would be expected, Graham quickly denounced and denied the statements as outright lies saying, "Those are not my words. I have never talked publicly or privately about the Jewish people, including conversations with President Nixon, except in the most positive terms."

Flash forward to March 1st of this year and the most recently released Nixon tapes which covered the first six months of 1972. Who’s voice can be heard ranting about the Jewish control of the media? Why, the Rev. Billy Graham’s! Now 83 years old and in failing health, Graham probably didn’t expect to live long enough to have to face up to his previous antisemitic comments. Naturally this man of God, who has come as close as any to being the spiritual leader of America, immediately admitted his failings and his narrow-mindedness and asked for forgiveness for the trust he violated both in the Jewish community and the public at large, right? Right?!?

Here's what Graham is recorded as having said:

"This stranglehold has got to be broken or the country's going down the drain," the nation's best-known preacher said as he agreed with a stream of Nixon comments about Jews and their perceived influence in American life.

"You believe that?" says Nixon after the "stranglehold" comment.

"Yes, sir," says Graham.

"Oh, boy," replies Nixon. "So do I. I can't ever say that, but I believe it."

"No, but if you get elected a second time, then we might be able to do something," replies Graham.

Later, Graham mentions that he has friends in the media who are Jewish, saying they "swarm around me and are friendly to me." But, he confides to Nixon, "They don't know how I really feel about what they're doing to this country."

Graham hasn't really apologized. He also hasn't said that he really believed such things in the past but has since seen the error of his ways — which means that either he was lying back then (perhaps trying to curry favor with Nixon) or he is lying now when he says that he never believed anything antisemitic.

Read More:

Comments
June 4, 2008 at 2:28 am
(1) John Murie says:

Billy Graham never healed one cripple , yet Graham always claimed to be sent by God to pray for the sick that the sick and cripples would get well . Billy Graham LIED

September 16, 2009 at 5:21 pm
(2) n.arceneaux says:

It’s is interesting to me that you conclude your argument with the following statement:

“Given his inability to come clean about what he used to say and believe, how easy it is for anyone to believe anything he says?”

You are looking for a way to justify a predetermined opinion. I wonder if your journalism is judged by the same standard?

September 16, 2009 at 6:12 pm
(3) Austin Cline says:

Why is that interesting?

Perhaps a more important question is: do you deny that he refused to come clean, or do you accept that he never apologized and thus wasn’t being honest at some point?

You are looking for a way to justify a predetermined opinion.

1. I didn’t have an opinion on this matter before this information caused me to look into the matter.

2. I’d love to see you explain how the quoted statement justified the assertion you make here.

3. Your statement is really an accusation, and a serious one at that, so I’d love even more to see you support it.

I wonder if your journalism is judged by the same standard?

Let’s compare standards: I reached the conclusion that Graham never came clean about what he used to say and believe and based it on the fact that he never apologized for his statements. As far as I can tell, he never even acknowledged making them. I further suggest that his lack of candor and honesty here raises questions about his honesty on other matters.

You, in contrast, make an accusation yet offer no supporting evidence or facts to back it up. The only quote of mine that you use doesn’t appear to have the slightest connection to anything you say.

I’d be happy to be judged by the standards I just outlined and which I used above. I’m not happy to be judged by the standards you have employed — but, to be fair, those are the standards so many Christians here tend to employ: make accusations and never offer any evidence or arguments to back them up. Would you like to buck this trend by offering something more substantial?

If yes, then just post your evidence and arguments. If no, then I expect you won’t post again.

September 27, 2009 at 1:06 am
(4) Michael says:

Although I am an atheist, I have to stand on the side of Billy Graham and Nixon here. The Jews do have a stronghold on the media. This can be easily seen. It goes like this, you’re saying “look what theists do! ooohhh!!”, however there are atheists who think the same way. Perhaps you should think before you have a crazy blind faith in the Jewish people

September 27, 2009 at 7:41 am
(5) Austin Cline says:

It goes like this, you’re saying “look what theists do! ooohhh!!”,

I never said this. Quote me if you think I have.

however there are atheists who think the same way.

I’ve never said that atheists can’t believe stupid things.

Perhaps you should think twice before adopting popular bigotry.

October 6, 2009 at 5:48 pm
(6) John Hanks says:

Jews have an enormous influence on our banking and media. I was told that by a Jew. Just look at the names on the stock market and in the movie credits. Israel is almost never mentioned in an uncomplimentary way. if it is mentioned at all. Our government gives 24 billion to Israel every year

October 6, 2009 at 8:33 pm
(7) Tom Edgar says:

I do try to differentiate between Jews, Zionists and Israelis.
Often it is difficult, sometimes downright impossible.

What Graham and Nixon said was absolutely true. Their failure was in not having the intestinal fortitude to state so publicly, and in Nixon’s case not do something about it.
Just to avoid the inevitable anti Semite accusation.

The world now reaps not only what was sown but in this instance we have the crop proliferating for the want of
the appropriate herbicidal controls available when Nixon, and others, were in power.

Adolp Hitler once said, through his propagandist. “The country that does not control its finance, doesn’t control
the country.” America’s government doesn’t even control its own Central Bank, nor the issue of money. So who controls these? Which country has the greatest influence
on America’s Middle East policies? Which group of people, for political expediency, has the most influence,
politically, in America? No it isn’t the Jews as a group.
But is most certainly, predominantly those of Jewish background and Israeli allegiance before America’s.
I may well be, falsely, accused of antisemitism, my own heritage would be adversely involved here. I can quite properly be accused of anti Israel sentiments. Then that
artificially contrived country, with its vile history of exploitation and racist attitudes towards the evicted legal inhabitants, who have adopted and adapted the
methods and attitudes of their former Nazi oppressors
to promote their own vested interests, and sense of racial superiority. Shalom and apologies to my Grandmother.

October 6, 2009 at 9:18 pm
(8) AuBricker says:

To be honest, I find anti-Semitism among Christians to be disgusting and foul. I feel worse discovering that some of my fellow American atheists share that trait.

October 7, 2009 at 8:27 am
(9) AtheistGeophysicistBob says:

Tom Edgar (7). As one with Jewesh heritage, but a little further removed than yours, I agree with you.

Being against a government and its supporters does not make a one anti-the people. Anti-Hitler and his supporters would not make one anti-German. Anti-the Palistenian Government and its supporters does not make one anti-Palistenian. Anti-the Israli Government and its supporters, as I am, should not make me anti-semite; if it does, I am proud that I am anti-semetic. I cannot see how the Israli Government should hold a more favored position than any other.If the Israli government were atheist and all the inhabitants were atheist, with the same policies as Israel now promotes, I would be anti-Israel, but not-anti-atheist.

October 8, 2009 at 8:53 pm
(10) Tom Edgar says:

Watch it AGB. We’ll be accused of forming a mutual admiration society.

As usual you have analysed succinctly. I have long deplored Australia’s sycophantic American relationship
with our unquestioning obedience to that nation’s dictates and by extension to Israel. This doesn’t mean I am in anyway a traitor, nor anti Australian, or for that matter anti American. I THINK for myself.

Unlike some Australians I can’t be anti Japanese for the
atrocities of WW2 nor anti German in spite of that country having bombed my home and injured my family. I forgive both and hate the idea of having anybody saying that is “Christian” of you. It was damned Christians dropping the bombs.

In any case the above is ancient history, and generally, the ordinary people have no say in what their political masters decide or, alternately, are so brainwashed they are unable to make an independent evaluation and then are compliant (both sides).

Being anti any nation because of colour, culture, religion, past activities, or even in some cases, present ones, is the product of a closed mind and limited intelligence.

The first thing that the military inculcates into the mind of gullible recruits for any war is a moral, intellectual, religious, physical and philosophical superiority to the enemy no matter their nationality or the legality of the situation.

It is no different for non military. Unforgivable. They should be able to think a little more clearly.

Billy Graham. Nixon et. al. were bigots and hypocrites.
My late wife’s Meeting House wanted to have Nixon removed from his professed Quaker membership. How much more of a hypocrite can you be. A war promoting Quaker. Once again another war loving Politician who made sure he would never be personally involved.

October 11, 2009 at 6:54 pm
(11) Adolph says:

It is factually true that Jews dominate politics, big business, finance, the issuance of money, news and entertainment. That can’t be healthy for any country. That Israel gets most favored nation status proves this outrageous parasitical predatory reality.