Lambert Dolphin quotes from something attributed to Mark E. Petersen:
1. Never touch the intimate parts of your body except during normal toilet processes. Avoid being alone as much as possible. Find good company and stay in this good company.
Better yet, wear thick gloves just to be extra sure.
2. If you are associated with other persons having this same problem, you must break off their friendship. Never associate with other people having the same weakness. Don't suppose that two of you will quit together, you never will. You must get away from people of that kind. Just to be in their presence will keep your problem foremost in your mind. The problem must be taken out of your mind for that is where it really exists. Your mind must be on other and more wholesome things.
Yes, it’s tough to quit masturbating when you hang around with people who constantly talk about masturbating, compare masturbation techniques, and recount especially good masturbation sessions. With folks like that around, quitting the habit just isn’t likely.
3. When you bathe, do not admire yourself in a mirror. Never stay in the bath more than five or six minutes -- just long enough to bathe and dry and dress and then get out of the bathroom into a room where you will have some member of your family present.
Better yet, invite a family member to stand around in the bathroom while you bathe — especially an older, wrinkly family if you can find one. That can have a very depressing effect on any masturbation desire you might have. Should such family members not be available, photographs of Margaret Thatcher and Richard Nixon have been reported to help.
4. When in bed, if that is where you have your problem for the most part, dress yourself for the night so securely that you cannot easily touch your vital parts, and so that it would be difficult and time consuming for you to remove those clothes. By the time you started to remove protective clothing you would have sufficiently controlled your thinking that the temptation would leave you.
If you’re really serious about quitting the masturbation habit, you can enlist the aid of family members to simply wrap you up mummy-like each evening. While ensconced in tight bandages, you won’t even be able to pick your nose or scratch your butt, much less masturbate. In this manner you may be able to put an end to several bad habits at once!
5. If the temptation seems overpowering while you are in bed, get out of bed and go into the kitchen and fix yourself a snack, even if it is in the middle of the night, and even if you are not hungry, and despite your fears of gaining weight. The purpose behind this suggestion is that you get your mind on something else. You are the subject of your thoughts, so to speak.
Of course, if you think about masturbation a great deal and thus end up eating a great deal, you will gain so much weight that masturbation may become physically impossible. While this is not necessarily a recommended way to stop masturbation, it is certain preferable than not stopping at all.
It is a habit that is totally self-centered, and secretive, and in no way expresses the proper use of the procreative power given to man to fulfill eternal purposes. It therefore separates a person from God and defeats the gospel plan.
What if you masturbate publicly? What if you get together with friends from #2 and masturbate in a group? Then it’s not so secretive anymore, is it? And if you help your friends masturbate, it’s not self-centered, either.
This self-gratifying activity will cause one to lose his self-respect and feel guilty and depressed, which can in the extreme lead to further sinning. As a person feels spiritually unclean, he loses his interest in prayer, his testimony becomes weak, and missionary work and other Church callings become burdensome, offering no joy and limited success.
Just a thought, but if people weren’t continually told that masturbation is bad, then perhaps they also wouldn’t feel guilty and depressed when they do it. Maybe if they were told that masturbation is healthy and natural they wouldn’t be any more bothered by it than they are by other natural functions of the body.