Sidon's famous Sea Castle is one of the most prominent archaeological cites in the city. Built by the Crusaders in the 13th century, the Sea Castle was an impressive fortress on a small island connected to the shore by a narrow causeway. The current causeway is of later construction; the original was heavily fortified to help protect the fortress itself. Crusaders used Sidon's Sea Castle to protect the city's harbor and ensure that troops from Europe could land safely.
Today all that remains of Sidon's Sea Castle are two towers connected by a single wall. Mameluk forces had the fortress destroyed completely after the fall of Acre in order to ensure that Crusaders would not have another chance to land in the Holy Land and renew their conquest of the region.
Sidon was a contested city during the Crusades. Crusaders captured and sacked it in 1108 and Saladin recaptured it in 1187. Crusaders would attack it many times but were never able to retake it from the Muslims. Control would later go to the Mamluks in 1291.