1. Religion & Spirituality

Many Christians in America insist that Christmas is essentially a Christian religious holiday which belongs to them alone. It's true that there are many ways to celebrate Christmas in a Christian manner, it's also a fact that many of the most popular elements Christmas celebrations today have nothing whatsoever to do with religion or Christianity. These secular elements of Christmas have become at least as important as the religious ones. So if you want to celebrate Christmas, you can do so without religion.

Read Article: We Wish You a Godless Xmas: What's Secular, Godless About Christmas Holidays?

Comments
December 19, 2006 at 3:48 pm
(1) Lynn Hamilton says:

*ahem* Disrgarding the fact that xmas was originally a **Pagan** celebration… just wanna say that not only do I love xmas, I also love Easter for it’s plush bunnies and cadbury creme eggs… the treat that is oh so deliciously secular!

December 20, 2006 at 6:43 pm
(2) John says:

Yes, and nothing is quite as decadent as biting the head off of a creamy milk chocolate bunny.

November 22, 2007 at 7:39 pm
(3) Gotweirdness says:

But what if the bunny doesn’t turn out to be a chocolate one? Wouldn’t be a little crunchy?

November 27, 2008 at 1:33 pm
(4) vjack says:

Of course it can be celebrated in godless fashion. In fact, even self-professed Christians often do just this. Personally, I just don’t see the point of celebrating it at all.

December 18, 2009 at 3:47 am
(5) Eric (4tunate1) says:

The irony here is that many very conservative religious groups refuse to celebrate Christmas (or refuse to celebrate the traditional aspects of the holiday) because they consider it too pagan.

Santa Claus, Christmas Trees, Mistletoe, Elves, Exchanging Gifts, Egg Nog and Sweetmeats, Stockings over the Fireplace, Yule Logs, Reindeer, Wreathes …

None of those things strike me as particularly Christian in theme.

December 19, 2009 at 9:42 pm
(6) Sara Frazier says:

I do not celebrate because not only am I not a theist-but all the wasteful consumerism, and dead trees make me sad.

December 25, 2010 at 3:51 pm
(7) Sundragon says:

Atheists have no idea how arrogant their position is. They presume to claim to know everything about the entire universe, from the moment of the Big Bang (a theory that was first put forward by a Catholic priest, btw) to now, and that’s why they think they can say that “there is no God” etc etc.

At least Christians preserve mystery, even if they do dress it up in tales like the nativity

December 25, 2010 at 4:49 pm
(8) Austin Cline says:

Atheists have no idea how arrogant their position is.

You have no idea what atheism is, which makes your assertions arrogant.

No, we don’t.

and that’s why they think they can say that “there is no God” etc etc.

No, it’s not.

No, they don’t – remember, Christianity is predicated on presuming to know that a god does exist, what that god wants, what it intends, and what’s more that they as humans were created in their god’s image. How is that “mystery”? How is that not “arrogant”?

January 4, 2011 at 9:19 pm
(9) Pinpinello says:

Hello, everybody,
I do agree wholeheartedly with Sundragon that atheists have no clue, they do not know the first thing. I am doing research about atheists and the other day I watched youTube to hear a guy called Bill Ma… oh, I forget those names all the time, but anyway, he said, can you believe it, he said, “I don’t believe in the speaking snake”. This is absolutely reliiculous. A few months ago, our TV brought a documentary (I forgot the title, it started with “Ha…” )featuring a boy, an orphan, who went to a zoo and had a conversation with a boa. Yeah, these are the facts, and these facts prove there is a higher authority, right?. Things happen you wouldn’t dream of, so please, refrain from doubting everything, like the virgin birth or the bodily ascent to heaven (this did not only happen to Jesus and Mary but Muslim e.g. claim that their prophet achieved similar skills, too). Or, there is a tendency, I observed, to doubt the existence of Santa Claus. Can there be anything as outrageous as this. Santa is a symbol of our way of life and putting his holy works into doubt is endangering not only the souls of our children but also our economy. Another proof for a higher authority: In this country we have only about 1.2% Xians, but at X-mas Santa is everywhere! Isn’t this boosting our economy the best proof of divine providence? Still any doubters? May the Flying Spaghetti-Monster punish you! And may the wreath of god fall upon your head!

January 6, 2011 at 7:34 pm
(10) runty_cactus says:

Bravo, Pinpinello! *claps* =]

January 6, 2011 at 11:41 pm
(11) Adrift says:

The wreath of god fell on my head so I hung it on my front door … has a Santa head in the center too!

January 13, 2011 at 12:06 am
(12) Beatnik Bob says:

Sara Frazier (#6) shouldn’t feel bad for the dead trees. They are grown on Xmas tree farms for one purpose – to be Xmas trees. A lot of these farms are on sandy soil which is good for growing evergreen trees and not much else.

Growing something, chopping it down, and then using it is called farming.