1. Religion & Spirituality

Multiculturalism can mean a lot of things, but it's usually incorporated with the idea that minority cultural traditions and practices should be given a more equal status alongside majority cultural practices. This presents challenges to those who prefer the majority cultural practices, but sometimes they find a way to make it work for them. One example is the attempt to defend explicitly Christian celebrations of Christmas in a multicultural context.

Read Article: Christmas & Cultural Diversity: Is Secular Christmas Antithetical to Diversity?

Comments
November 24, 2007 at 7:24 pm
(1) Jenna says:

96% of Americans celebrate Christmas…yes, the “religious meaning” of Christmas is DEFINITELY being suppressed.

If I were trying to suppress the religious meaning of Christmas, I’d be doing something more effective than I am now.. like burning Christmas trees or toy Santa figurines in my yard.

I’d definitely get more attention doing that than celebrating Christmas in a secular fashion.

November 25, 2007 at 4:43 pm
(2) Jenna says:

of course i wouldn’t really burn Christmas trees or figurines in my yard..joke

however, i don’t see why anyone would not consider boycotting Christmas (as Austin suggests) if this annoying culture war on X-mas doesn’t stop

November 26, 2007 at 12:54 pm
(3) Jenna says:

urgg. forgive me. i am new to atheism.

all i really meant to say was…

burning things…bad idea (and a joke)
boycotting things..good idea!

and now i look like a loser for commenting three times on different days

November 26, 2007 at 8:21 pm
(4) Ron says:

Hi, Jenna

December 20, 2010 at 2:21 pm
(5) Dean says:

The bar for appearing to be a loser is set fairly high around here. You’ve got a ways to go yet, Jenna.

December 9, 2011 at 4:51 pm
(6) Karen says:

Why is it so hard to understand that we non-Christians don’t give a fat rat’s behind about how Christians celebrate Christmas, as long as they don’t do it on our dime?

Put a nativity scene on your front lawn, in your business’ front window, in front of your church — we don’t care. (Mind you, my neighbors put up a ghastly nativity scene that makes it look like Vikings, rather than people from Palestine, were Jesus’ parents — but that’s an esthetic observation only.) Play exclusively religious music in your house and in your office, but don’t inflict exclusively religious fare on the visitors to your local government offices. Go to midnight services if you want, just don’t hold a loud conversation outside my bedroom window when you get home; in return, if I throw a holiday party, I’ll make sure we keep the noise down. Greet me however you want to greet me; if you give me “Merry Christmas” I’ll probably return the greeting. If you give me “Blessed Christmas”, I’ll probably say, “Merry Christmas” in return.

Keep your nose out of my business, I’ll keep mine out of yours, and we’ll get along splendidly. It’s easy!