1. Religion & Spirituality

Santa Claus is a Lie
Image © Austin Cline
Original Poster: Library of Congress
One of the most significant changes to Christmas has been the integration of Santa Claus into the holiday. At one time Santa had nothing at all to do with Christmas, especially when it was celebrated as a primarily religious and somber date. In modern America, though, Santa has become the very symbol of the entire holiday season -- and at the same time that Christmas has become secular. This is not a coincidence. The secularization of the Christmas has required sidelining Jesus, creating a vacuum at the center of the holiday which had to be filled. Santa fills this role admirably.

Read Article: Santa Claus is a Lie: We Can Destroy Christmas if we Destroy Myths like Santa Claus and Jesus

Comments
December 9, 2006 at 10:17 pm
(1) DeGeorgetown says:

That little girl is so cute it’s sickening…

December 12, 2006 at 2:42 am
(2) Dano says:

Ah yes Santa Claus. I do believe history tells us he was a Christian.

His name, “Santa Claus” is an Anglicized form of the Dutch Sinter Klaas, which in turn means “Saint Nicholas.” Nicholas was a Christian bishop in the fourth century who apparently attended the Council of Nicea and supported the doctrine of the Trinity(Father, Son and the Holy Ghost)

The tradition that he was especially kind toward children, even giving them gifts, is very likely based on fact. Thus Christians might justifiably look to the real Saint Nicholas as a hero of the Christian faith.

December 12, 2006 at 6:43 am
(3) Austin Cline says:

Ah yes Santa Claus. I do believe history tells us he was a Christian.

Not really.

November 18, 2007 at 6:25 pm
(4) Ron says:

November 19, 2007 at 11:46 am
(5) Contrarian says:

Of course, none of this is in the New Testament, and as such is irrelevant to discussions of the foundations of Christianity.

November 19, 2007 at 12:43 pm
(6) Austin Cline says:

Of course, no one was discussing the foundations of Christianity. It’s also irrelevant to discussions about the the acting talents of Brad Pitt, but so what? Your insinuation is an attempt to misrepresent what’s going on — just as you have done when posting under the names like “Skeptical Skeptic” and “Frank Walton Fan.”

November 19, 2007 at 4:54 pm
(7) Whatever says:

So what?

I make my own rules.

November 19, 2007 at 5:16 pm
(8) 411314 says:

“It’s also irrelevant to discussions about the the acting talents of Brad Pitt…”

Austin, I admire the way you can make a point with dry humor! By the way, do you celebrate Christmas?

November 19, 2007 at 5:40 pm
(9) Austin Cline says:

So what?
I make my own rules.

November 19, 2007 at 5:42 pm
(10) Austin Cline says:

By the way, do you celebrate Christmas?

In a fairly limited way to please my wife, for whom the day holds a lot of memories and meaning. Personally, I’d just let it pass more-or-less unnoticed — as I would with every other holiday. I recognize the significance they can have for others, but just can’t muster any concern for them of my own. I even feel that way about my own birthday.

November 19, 2007 at 7:10 pm
(11) Gotweirdness says:

I just think of Christmas as secular holiday since I don’t see anything inherently religious in decorating a tree, eating a turkey or ham, giving presents, and spending time with family. Granted many of the practices had pagan roots to them but they’ve been buried under the commercialization of Christmas in order for for it to appeal to a broader audience. Christmas is even celebrated in Japan which is primarily Shinto/Buddhist. Besides, its one of those few times of the year when stick Santa hats on the cats and take pictures of them.

A little bit off topic. Anyone notice that Memorial Day tends to focus on the WWII veterans? At least it seems to be that way for the past few years due to the 60th anniversary along with many of the veterans being in their 80′s whom there are less of each year due age-related deaths.

November 19, 2007 at 7:23 pm
(12) Ron says:

Gotweirdness

November 20, 2007 at 6:29 am
(13) Blairs Boys says:

Austin is a little sensitive.

Atheists are hilarious! They just KILL me!

November 20, 2007 at 7:00 am
(14) Austin Cline says:

Austin is a little sensitive.

About what, exactly?

For example?

November 20, 2007 at 12:55 pm
(15) Reverend Red Mage says:

I’m sorry, I can’t resist this.

“Not on this site, you don’t. Your posts are now just posturing, not any attempt at conversation. Since dialog and conversation are what the comments section is for, your posts are no longer welcome. Good bye.”

*ahem* OWNED!

“But that is what is amusing about atheists. After telling us there is no God to tell us what to do, THEY want to tell us what to do.”

You’re damn straight, Blairs. You WILL assimilate.

*rolls eyes*

November 20, 2007 at 1:26 pm
(16) Gotweirdness says:

Ron:

“Teach the cute little girl there is a Santa Claus. Later on,when she finds out she has been had, she will be better prepared to face the real world when she grows up. Little boys like put together toys. Give them toys that no matter how they put them together, it’s WRONG. Same reason”

I agree. It a good thing to allow kids them to believe in Santa Claus. When they get older, they will figure out that Santa Claus is an imaginary figure along with the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, Sandman, and Lucky the leprechaun. Its a way to use imagination to trigger the thought process.

Still, it escapes me why adults, a group whom should be emotionally, mentally, and physically mature continues to believe a magical sky man is watching over them. I gave up the imaginary friend a long time ago.

“You are right We need festive occasions. If we got rid of the christmas holiday what would we replace it with? I am a non-believer, but I nevertheless enjoy the holiday with family.”

November 20, 2007 at 1:47 pm
(17) Ron says:

Another favorite day just passed. Halloween! On Halloween night, I like to put on my W. C. Fields costume and roam the sidewalks stealing candy from little kids1

November 20, 2007 at 3:46 pm
(18) tracieh says:

>It could be replaced with a day of getting drunk and partying hardy. Wait! We already do have a day like this called New Year’s.

I thought it was called Saturday?

November 20, 2007 at 6:14 pm
(19) Gotweirdness says:

“I thought it was called Saturday?”

There is also Friday and Sunday. For some people, each day of the week is an excuse to drink and party…usually college students.

November 7, 2008 at 9:46 am
(20) David says:

I do get together with friends on Christmas, but it is entirely secular. They happen to be atheists too, but they decorate the house with a x-mas tree, and other festive things.

As for Santa, it kind of reminds me of this
coaster design.

December 10, 2011 at 8:28 am
(21) Grandpa_In_The_East says:

@Comment (1) – “That little girl is so cute it’s sickening”

I thought the poster to which she/he was referring was quite nice. I think: “How lucky such a child is to have a father worthy of trust!”

Grandpa

December 15, 2012 at 9:06 pm
(22) Cory R says:

I begin reading this article nodding occasionally and generally questioning whether I would personally tell my children, if I have any in the future, that Santa Claus does not exist. My first reaction was: well, maybe wait until they show a little skepticism first. Children need to at least be old enough to decide for themselves. While I disagree with lying to children for no good reason other than “everybody else is doing it” in our culture, in a weird way, I think doing so may help to actually foster skepticism for widely held beliefs in children. Upon learning that Santa Claus is not real, they are not angry or upset… they feel more mature. They know something now that younger children do not. This may in fact be a very important lesson in helping children to learn to reflect on what they see as commonly held beliefs, and make decisions based on their own evaluations rather than what they are told by society.

June 15, 2013 at 6:47 pm
(23) Jeanne says:

What is stopping people from celebrating Christmas as a religious holiday? I have to wonder how many Christians who are complaining about the commercialization of Christmas are doing their complaining from the mall.

Personally, I don’t care if someone wishes me a “Merry Christmas” or a “Happy Holiday”. Either way, they are not wishing something bad on me.