1. Religion & Spirituality

Austin Cline

Mailbag: Christianity Under Attack

By January 20, 2013

From: "Boon"
Subject: Christianity Under Attack
Unfortunately, you are a carnal-minded person, who really needs to seek God for yourself....If you think that my statement was suppose to make you see, you are sadly mistaken. You need Jesus, He doesn't need you......Remember that.

My response to all of the above is "no." You don't know me, and certainly can't judge me. This is, however, the only time I have ever been called "carnal-minded." I'm not quite sure if that is a compliment or an insult. At any rate, I don't experience any particular need for a Jesus. If Boon needs Jesus, fine - but why assume that everyone else does as well?

More selections from the Agnosticism / Atheism Mailbag...

Comments
August 8, 2007 at 11:55 am
(1) FrumiousBandersnark says:

Well, there’s no arguing with logic like that. .

Of course we’re carnal-minded. What does he think brains are made out of? Post-digested communion wafers?

August 8, 2007 at 3:40 pm
(2) George says:

“You need Jesus, He doesn’t need you……Remember that.”

If Jesus doesn’t need anybody then what’s Jesus’ purpose? It seems that Jesus would need ‘sinners’ to justify his very existence.

August 8, 2007 at 4:29 pm
(3) Bob Howard says:

I think your last few words say a lot as to why religions are so pervasive and long lived. People seem to need someone to depend on or to guide them. When we are babies we need our parents. I have often felt that God takes the place of parents for adults. That is why fundamentalists in particular won’t listen to logical criticism of religion because it would undermine their security.

August 8, 2007 at 10:14 pm
(4) Kent says:

“Boon” assumes that everyone else needs jesus just like him/her because mental illness likes company.

August 9, 2007 at 9:04 am
(5) Linda Lee Hubacek says:

I am Pagan – neither Christian nor Atheist, and your site is a breath of badly needed fresh air!

August 9, 2007 at 8:31 pm
(6) John Hanks says:

All religions are protection rackets. Christianity is one of the worst. They scare you, protect you, and fleece you. (Just like the 911/Iraq stunt)

October 3, 2007 at 2:30 pm
(7) John Hanks says:

Religion starts with make-believe. Mental laziness and cowardice takes care of the rest.

October 4, 2007 at 9:46 am
(8) Joan says:

One of my high school students, upon learning that I was an atheist, came to me very interested to know, “Where do you all meet”? It would seem that organized religion offers a fellowship that many people desperately need. I myself, find it refreshing to break free of those bonds of theism and organized religion.

February 25, 2008 at 6:16 pm
(9) Boon says:

yes, my name is also Boon and I have a completely different POV…Jesus never actually existed!!! That’s right, if you ever try to do any true research, in all the actual historical records there is never any actual mention of him…all everyone knows of him is based off the Egyptian Book of the Dead, where Rah takes his place…and Rah was made up too! All it refers to is the sun…do some research and you’ll see

September 5, 2010 at 3:18 am
(10) MikeM says:

“You need Jesus, He doesn’t need you……Remember that”.

Jesus pouts?

January 27, 2013 at 3:31 pm
(11) Deucalion says:

Under attack? I wish! If Christianity itself was a person, I would knock him/her out with a blackjack, stuff him.her into a 55 gallon drum and kick it into a lake, then claim self defense. So yeah, under attack? Not hardly, just being subjected to the rigorous demands for proof that any other claim made is expected to undergo.

“You need Jesus, He doesn’t need you…”
I need nothing from your bastardized godhead. I get everything I need from my own nonexistant invisible buddies… Isnt that right, Thor? Uhhh, Thor? Where’d you go? Oh wait, he’s in my head… I forgot.

January 30, 2013 at 9:11 am
(12) JTL says:

Boon is right: The Romans recorded EVERYTHING, and there is no mention of Jesus ANYWHERE! Remember, the best fiction is just shy of reality. Herod, Pontius Pilate, etc. are all mentioned in Roman history, but NO JESUS! Big-time bible scholars are now saying that Jesus probably never existed. It’s all bullshit, folks—there IS NO GOD!