1. Religion & Spirituality

Via Dolorosa in Jerusalem Via Dolorosa is Latin for the 'way of sorrows' or 'way of pain.' It is an important pilgrimage route for Christians in Jerusalem to commemorate the path taken by Jesus when carrying the cross to the site of his crucifixion. There are 14 devotional sites along the way where people stop to pray, none of which existed in the earliest centuries - they are products of medieval Christian practices.

Read Article: Via Dolorosa in Jerusalem - Did Jesus Walk Here to his Crucifixion?

Comments
September 25, 2007 at 3:54 pm
(1) tracieh says:

Next you’ll be claiming the Grand Canyon wasn’t carved by Paul Bunyon dragging his axe?

While I don’t mind myths and even associating them with real external things and places (like the Paul Bunyon stories), I do find it sad when people actually believe these things are true/real.

Even at the fundie church I used to attend, I recall that we had a few “holy land” presentations, and they were always sprinkled with disclaimers about how this is just local custom and not _really_ the tomb or whatever that was linked to Jesus.

Still, I’m sure some don’t even think about it. I’ve seen television specials that irresponsibly represent these events/places as actual, without disclaiming or with the mildest of disclaimers (that are overshadowed by the pomp surrounding the event/place presentation).

September 25, 2007 at 7:54 pm
(2) Ron says:

TRACIE! where have you been? It is common knowledge that the Grand Canyon was a result of Noah’s flood!

September 26, 2007 at 7:25 am
(3) tracieh says:

Ron: You’ve claimed that flood thing before–but you still haven’t proven that the canyon ISN’T the result of Paul Bunyon dragging his axe.

September 26, 2007 at 2:15 pm
(4) Gotweirdness says:

What? You mean the Grand Canyon wasn’t caused by the giant who lived in the clouds accessible only by beanstalk when he fell to the earth?

September 26, 2007 at 2:39 pm
(5) Chuck says:

You “guy’s” are totally whacked…I love it!

Tracieh, are you serious about people (fundies) actually needed to hear that (X) wasn’t real? WOW these people are doomed to ignorance.

September 26, 2007 at 5:41 pm
(6) tracieh says:

Chuck: To be fair, I think it was more of a disclaimer by the people showing the presentations. It was there way of showing the Holy Land–but pointing out, “OK, I know this isn’t really the road Jesus traveled…” and so on.

It would be like me giving a hypothetical and saying, “OK, let’s say I earned a million dollars a year–I mean, I don’t earn that much–but let’s just say…”

I do, however, think that there were some in the group who might have believed it otherwise. But grasping how many people still fall prey to the Nigerian e-mail scam…maybe that’s just speaking to a reality about people in general and not just religious people?

October 1, 2007 at 5:43 pm
(7) John Hanks says:

Idolatry is idolatry. Holy places have only mental magical powers.

February 7, 2010 at 5:44 pm
(8) sornord says:

I was assigned to the US Consulate in West Jerusalem in the mid-1980′s and lived in Beit Jala, just outside Bethlehem. VERY FEW, if any, of the so-called holy sites are the real thing. We were told at the time that Roman Emperor Constantine’s mother came to the area and pointed at this and that location and declared through revelation that the spot was where whatever happened occurred. She was jokingly labeled history’s best archeologist because she ALWAYS found what she was looking for. It was our understanding that these sites she identified became associated with the various biblical events through the centuries, reinforced by crusaders, the building of ever gaudier memorials and buildings through the medieval times, etc.

I didn’t give a rat’s backside for the religious connotations of any of it (in fact, I snickered at the constant bickering between the various sects who are caretakers there aways griping about who gets to take care of what) but I did enjoy the history and architecture of the Church of the Nativity and especially the graffiti carved into the walls by the exit stairs of the grotto of the Nativity. Most were names and dates, some of them going back several centuries.

February 13, 2010 at 2:28 pm
(9) AtheistGeophysicistBob says:

As a geophysicist, I agree with tracieh; Grand Canyon was definitely carved by Paul Bunyon dragging his axe.