1. Religion & Spirituality

Proselytization is central to the religious faith of many evangelical Christians -- they will "share" their beliefs with anyone they come across if they are given half a chance. They believe they are doing a good deed, but from the other side it often doesn't appear very positive. This can be difficult for many Christians to understand because they accept without question the truth of their religion and are thus convinced that there is nothing wrong with sharing this truth with others.

Read Article: Why Do Atheists Object to Evangelism & Proselytization?

Comments
June 14, 2007 at 9:58 am
(1) Ron says:

I have an evangelical friend[the reason we are friends is because we have a common interest.We both play country guitar] So we spend a lot of time together playing music. Sometimes he forgets and begins to preach. Whenever he does this, I say, hey you old primate, do you christians still practice that primitive ritual cannibalism thing? I get a perverse sort of pleasure out of watching the expression that goes across his face when I say this.

June 14, 2007 at 10:48 am
(2) Elaygee says:

I ask how many slaves they have, how many sinners they have killed and when was the last time they beat their wife, as the bible instructs.

June 15, 2007 at 9:26 pm
(3) John Hanks says:

I just tell them I’m an atheist.

I admire the door to door people for their audacity. And, it’s freedom of speech! I did follow one preacher through my neighborhood to warn people about him.

January 1, 2010 at 7:34 pm
(4) deegee says:

Ironically, these are the same people who complain about any time atheists try to make their atheism known. Austin has posted pieces about the outcry about billboards and signs on buses, for example, and how the theists get all outraged about that. Can you imagine the outcry if atheists went door to door trying to convince theists to STOP believing in god?

January 2, 2010 at 11:30 pm
(5) tracieh says:

>these are the same people who complain about any time atheists try to make their atheism known.

One of my favorite things about working with AETV is hearing from young people who are atheists. I had the pleasure to speak to one boy, and later interview him, who had to go to a Jesus Camp at about 16. He was an atheist, but not ready to tell his mom. Rather than make it a week of torture, he shot video the whole time he was there, then posted it to Youtube anonymously as an anti-camp statement!

Just this past Sunday, a boy called in to say he and a friend decided to take cards and write “ATHEIST” on them. They pinned them to their shirts and wore them all day at school–to see what sorts of reactions they would get. The boy said he thought it was funny, but got nervous when it was time to really do it; but he ended up glad he did, and said it made him more comfortable about being “out.”

I don’t think I was EVER that creative as a teen. I love these kids. They give me hope for the future!

January 3, 2010 at 8:51 am
(6) sornord says:

Very simply, they can dish it out but they can’t take it.

November 13, 2012 at 2:27 pm
(7) Dean J. Smith says:

Google ‘Door to door atheists bother Mormons’.