1. Religion & Spirituality

Atheists often criticize religion, so a perception develops that atheism must be anti-religious - but this is not quite true. Atheism is just the absence of beliefs in gods and can thus occur inside or outside the context of religion. Thus, an atheist might be devoutly religious, devoutly anti-religious, or completely apathetic with regards to religion - exactly as with theists. It all depends on the individual and what ideas, beliefs, or principles they have aside from atheism.

Read Article: Myth: Atheism is Anti-Religion, All Atheists Hate Religion, Say Religion's Evil

Comments
January 4, 2010 at 3:53 pm
(1) Leah says:

Exactly. I still consider myself spiritual, even though I don’t believe in any gods.

January 4, 2010 at 4:32 pm
(2) Larian LeQuella says:

I find it sad that we have to keep explaining this over and over again to theists… Are they really that dense?

January 4, 2010 at 4:57 pm
(3) Liz says:

I think many theists – esp. Xians – cannot imagine being atheist. It is such a part of their identity and their worldview. Atheism is seen more as Satan tempting a soul away from the “right path” – god and Jesus. Satan has “tricked” atheists into not seeing the revelation of the lord, etc. The lack of imagination that Austin talks about in other posts explains their position really well. They really cannot conceive of being atheist.

January 4, 2010 at 5:10 pm
(4) Liz says:

The “it” at the beginning of my comment is “religion” – religion is such a part of their identity and worldview.

Critical thinking – not so much…

January 6, 2010 at 7:10 pm
(5) nina says:

Athiest do not have to actively attack religion.

Beleivers tend to be so sensitive that you merely not beleiving what they do is deemed to be an attack.

January 10, 2010 at 12:23 am
(6) P Smith says:

The most anti-religious people are not atheists.

The most anti-religious people are those who already have a religion and seek to prevent any others from being practiced.

Look at the history books: the most anti-religious states have always been those with a state religion, those whose government is based on a religion or all of its members share or belong to a religion.

The religious tell many lies to sell their products, and one of the biggest lies is “secularism is atheism”. If they told the truth, especially about themselves, they would never be able to sell (read: force) their beliefs onto others.

January 17, 2010 at 2:21 pm
(7) J says:

I’m an atheist and I am anti-religious and I hate religion. I have no problem admitting these things.