1. Religion & Spirituality

Austin Cline

Paul Broun: Doctor, Scientist, Young-Earth Creationist, Republican

By October 8, 2012

Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA) is a medical doctor, describes himself as a scientist, and sits on the House Science and Technology Committee's panel on investigations and oversight. He's also a Young Earth Creationist who believes our planet is only 9,000 years old and thinks evolution was created to keep people from becoming Christians.

Paul Broun, 2012
Paul Broun, 2012
Photo: Paul Morigi/Getty

These beliefs were expressed at the 2012 Sportsman's Banquet at Liberty Baptist Church, in Hartwell, Georgia and there's no question about misinterpretations or nuance. He was quite clear in what he believes and this should make it just as clear to everyone else the quality of the minds they get when they elect conservative Republicans to represent them in the government.

Of course, when he said these things he was applauded because these beliefs are rather popular among Americans, or at least the Americans who are impressed enough by the minds of conservative Republicans to keep electing those Republicans to represent them in government.

"God's word is true. I've come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell. And it's lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior.

You see, there are a lot of scientific data that I've found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth. I don't believe that the Earth's but about 9,000 years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That's what the Bible says.

What I've come to learn is that [the Bible is] the manufacturer's handbook, is what I call it. It teaches us how to run our lives individually, how to run our families, how to run our churches. But it teaches us how to run all of public policy and everything in society. And that's the reason as your congressman I hold the holy Bible as being the major directions to me of how I vote in Washington, D.C., and I'll continue to do that."

Source: The Daily Dolt

Although it's unusual to see anyone outside the clergy or the Creationism Industry express such beliefs so directly, these ideas really aren't all that uncommon in America. Nearly half of all Americans deny evolution and basic science and admit to believing that the earth was formed at some point in the last 6,000 years ago. This belief is even more popular among Republicans than among Democrats and Independents.

The fact that Paul Broun allows for the earth to be 9,000 years old almost makes him progressive. Of course Paul Broun won't pay any kind of political price for comments like these. Not only are they popular among his constituents, but he doesn't even have a Democratic challenger in his re-election race this year.

Comments
October 8, 2012 at 2:40 pm
(1) Dean J. Smith says:

There are certain classes of scientists that seem particularly prone to these beliefs, and they tend to be scientists more involved in applications than experimentation. Physcians are in this group. For the most part, they don’t practice science, they practice medicine. You don’t need to understand evolution to keep up with the medical journals on the latest treatments. You do need to understand evolution to develop certain categories of treatments. I’m sure the man is a good doctor, but he’s more damaging to real science as a poor scientist than he would be as a carpenter.

October 8, 2012 at 5:41 pm
(2) deegee says:

I now have a partial answer to the “doctorS” fellow House Science and Technology Committee member Todd Akin referred to in his horrible TV interview about rape and pregnancy: Congressman Paul Broun!

I wonder who the other “doctor” is that Akin heard this from?

Pretty scary that these two theocratic clowns are on a SCIENCE committee, for sure!

October 12, 2012 at 7:03 pm
(3) Bette says:

“…as your congressman I hold the holy Bible as being the major directions to me of how I vote in Washington, D.C., and I’ll continue to do that.”

Another liar for Jesus. This man took an oath to “preserve, protect and defend” the U.S. Constitution, not his bible. I’m sick of christians who think it’s their duty to impose their beliefs on everyone else, and especially so when we pay their salary.

October 12, 2012 at 11:48 pm
(4) bill walker says:

Absolutely incredible ! A creationist who calls himself a scientist !

October 13, 2012 at 12:14 pm
(5) Spencer T says:

“there are a lot of scientific data that i’ve found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young earth.”

Anyone else notice how he conveniently leaves out any examples of his “findings?” As if people are supposed to blindly believe it’s true. Oh wait, a lot of people do that…

October 13, 2012 at 6:56 pm
(6) Stephen Gray says:

Broun can believe in a young earth only by completely ignoring much of science. He does so because of an unacknowledged emotional commitment to his superstition. If he cared more about truth and less about ancient myths, he would develop a severe case of cognitive dissonance-which he fully deserves. His position is best described by the phrase “mind cancer.”

October 14, 2012 at 3:55 pm
(7) Dave Y. says:

there is NO such thing as a fundie scientist!

thats just a fundie agreeing with retard fundies for money!,

this should be the dictionary definition of Fundie Scientists!!

October 15, 2012 at 1:31 am
(8) Shreekant says:

As an Indian from Mumbai, I am shocked & repulsed to know that 50% of Americans believe in the mumbo jumbo of creationism. I am unable to reconcile the world’s most innovative & technologically advanced country having most regressive minded politicians occupying important public positions

October 15, 2012 at 4:51 am
(9) Sally says:

Wait, wait … what century is this again?

October 16, 2012 at 8:05 am
(10) tsahina says:

this person is no scientist. he is a moron. idiot. and so is everyone who believes what he believes. i am sorry i wasted my time on his bullshitting. sorry for my language. i have the right to be rude,if he has the right to crap publically and hold an office. america is a sorry country.

October 16, 2012 at 8:10 am
(11) tsahpina says:

i am ashamed i belong to the same species as he does

October 20, 2012 at 4:38 pm
(12) David says:

IF religious people were open minded there would be no religious people.

September 30, 2013 at 10:09 pm
(13) edwapa says:

i just got done with austin’s mormon blog and now this idiot. what a 1-2 punch to my brain. are we sure this guy isn’t an idiot mormon, too? how does the human species keep going with this “thinking”? hey, rest of the world, it’s up to you to carry the species forward.

September 30, 2013 at 10:11 pm
(14) edwapa says:

sorry Austin i should have capitalized your name in the last post. but like i said my brain was hurting.