1. Religion & Spirituality

If secularism opposes the public support of religion or the presence of ecclesiastical authorities simultaneously exercising public authority, what role is left for religion in a secular society? Is religion doomed to a slow decline and attrition? Is it relegated to a web of quaint but unimportant cultural traditions? Such are the fears of opponents to secularism and secularization who argue that religion is too important to be eliminated in such a manner and blame atheists for their woes.

Read Article: Religion in a Secular Society: What Place or Role can Religion Have?

Comments
May 18, 2007 at 10:54 am
(1) Paul Frazier says:

I have some information that God has shared with me, about the times we live in. I can show you May-14-1948 June-10-1967 and Sept-11-2001 in the Bible. It even spells out Manhatten in Rev-17-5. There are a lot of things about the bible you should know about. I’m not trying to change your mind or preach tp you. BUT!!If you would like to know what the Bible shows as far as the last generation goes, e-mail me at iamhossboss@yahoo.com

May 18, 2007 at 9:39 pm
(2) Ron says:

Matt 24:34 Amen, I say to you this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place. Also, Matt 16:28. Looks to me like the second coming was 2000 years ago, and nobody noticed

August 28, 2009 at 7:20 pm
(3) Leon says:

Paul,

Rev 17:5 And upon her forehead was a name written, “Mystery, Babylon the Great, the Mother of Harlots and Abominations of the Earth.”

Where do you see “Manhattan” spelled out?

August 28, 2009 at 8:13 pm
(4) Ron says:

Leon asks: Where do you see “Manhattan” spelled out?
Here is rev 17:5 again. Loo at the letters that are capitalized, and you will see the word Manhattan.
That was an easy one! :)
rev 17:5 And upon her foreHeAd was a name wriTTen, “Mystery, bAbylon the great, the mother of harlots and abomiNations of the eArth.”

August 29, 2009 at 1:57 am
(5) Joseph says:

Um, which version has random letters capitalized in the middle of worlds like that? If you just did that yourself, then you could use it to “predict” anything you want if you spend enough time looking. It doesn’t even need to be the Bible. Go through all the Harry Potter books and you could probably find a paragraph that contains the letters O.B.A.M.A.W.I.L.L.B.E.K.I.L.L.E.D.
I.N.M.A.Y.O.F.H.I.S.S.E.C.O.N.D.Y.E.A.R.

“Prophecies” are usually discovered after they allegedly occurred. Any attempts to make them beforehand always fail, unless they’re vague enough and someone gets lucky. Nostradamus made thousands of predictions, yet he’s famous for the dozen or so that were “close enough”. Ohmygosh, he wrote “Hister”, that’s kinda like “Hitler”! Magic man is magic!

August 29, 2009 at 10:05 pm
(6) DaveInLV says:

Manhattan wasn’t spelled quite correctly though. Instead, using Ron’s technique of random selection (#4), one could spell places like Atlanta, Dallas, Miami, Austin and even Berlin, Oslo, London, Delhi and Bethlehem, names like Sarah, Obama, Hannity, Notre Dame and Wal Mart and also find some less enlightening terms like A Hog’s Ear, A Dummy’s Rant and An A**h*** with greater precision.

Still, it would be all for nothing because I am told that in the original Hebrew text it reads Religious Bulls**t.