1. Religion & Spirituality

Austin Cline

Judge Roy Moore: Secularism Leads to Sharia Law

By June 10, 2012

Is Roy Moore ignorant about secularism, or is he just a liar? It's tough to tell, but I don't think there are any other alternatives to explain why he's telling people that secularism leads to Sharia law.

Roy Moore Testifies
Roy Moore Testifies
Photo: Matthew Cavanaugh / Getty

He did this while being interviewed by Steve Deace on his conservative talk show -- and Steve Deace didn't challenge Roy Moore on this, which should probably tell you something.

Of course, maybe it's a mistake to assume that Moore has to be either ignorant or lying. Both could apply, right?

"I firmly believe that only God can heal our land and he is waiting for the American people to wake up to what's going on around them about a government that is denying God and in doing so is bent on taking away those rights and liberties and freedoms given to us by God, in contradiction to the very organic law from which we are based," Moore explained on Friday.

"I never regretted what I did, I did exactly what I knew I was to do and that is to stand firm and not let some federal judge tell me to remove a monument, which he had no right to do anyway."

"What they fear most is my acknowledgment of the sovereignty of God," he continued, adding that the federal judge had "violated not only our Constitution but the case law of the United States Supreme Court which says our religious freedom comes from God, and if it doesn't come from God people have to realize we will lose it and that is happening in our country today with Sharia law and the allowance of religious practices for other groups but not Christians."

Source: Crooks & Liars

Roy Moore's focus on "the sovereignty of God" is very important -- and it's also why he should be ineligible to hold any public or government office. In America, the people are sovereign. The sovereignty of "We the People" is the foundation of our government and political system. Anything which weakens, undermines, or denies that is necessarily contrary to an indispensable element of what makes America, America.

Yet this is precisely what Roy Moore is doing. He is appealing to the sovereign power of the people (by asking them to vote for him) in order to promote an agenda which explicitly denies the sovereign power of the people. It's hypocritical, it's dangerous, and it really is anti-American. Roy Moore is the sort of person you vote for when your desire is to eliminate democracy.

The Alabama Court of the Judiciary voted unanimously to remove Moore from his post as Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court, but he's running for that post again:

"The Alabama Republican Party stands firmly behind Judge Roy Moore to serve as the next Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court," Alabama Republican Party Chairman Bill Armistead said earlier this month. "Judge Moore embodies the conservative values and beliefs of the citizens of our state and the Republican Party in Alabama stands behind him 100 percent."

So the Republican Party stands firmly behind the rejection of popular sovereignty -- a rejection of the essential foundation of democracy. OK, that's good to know. This admission should be plastered all over the nation so people can know exactly what the Republican Party stands for: the destruction of the sovereignty of the people.

Comments
June 10, 2012 at 1:27 pm
(1) Gaius Sempronius Gracchus says:

Power of evil cranks rising in the land.

Would Obama in full presidential campaign dare to admit liking the film “Inherit the Wind”?

Assuming he does, of course.

I found it too soft on liberal religion, myself, through the fake Darrow character.

June 10, 2012 at 3:07 pm
(2) Karen says:

There does seem to be some correlation (note “some” and “correlation”, not “causation”) between secularization of formerly Christian countries and expansion of the use of Sharia courts to settle noncriminal disputes. (Which is terrible; Sharia is grossly unfair to women.) I’m not up enough on politics in those nations to understand the situation(s) there. I can see at least one slippery slope that leads to it: the notion that if a woman were to take a claim to Sharia court, she might get _some_ justice (hah!) whereas family pressure would hopelessly inhibit her from taking the same issue to civil court. Of course, Roy Moore could never understand the subtleties of the statement I just made…

June 11, 2012 at 2:06 pm
(3) Dean J. Smith says:

Usually when you hear Sharia law has been instituted in a secular state, the reality is that the state is following its own laws which have provisions for taking other law into account. For instance, why should the state care if a Muslim family wants to follow Islamic practices of inheritance or arbitration, when it allows for Jews and Hindus to do the same? Sharia law isn’t a deal breaker in a court case unless it is AGAINST the prevailng laws. There is no secular state that has adopted stoning of adulterers or apostates, for instance.

June 11, 2012 at 5:50 pm
(4) Ron says:

I am not a lawyer, BUT, my bet is that if the Muslim person is unhappy with the sharia law verdict then He or she could still turn to a civil court.

June 12, 2012 at 4:20 am
(5) P Smith says:

“Anti-American”? No, he’s very American.

US policy both foreign and domestic, has always been predicated on “might makes right” especially when religion is involved (e.g. the treatment of Native Americans, US occupation and puppet government in foreign countries). Moore is no different. It’s only when the secularists and other reasonable minds are heard that there is change for the better (e.g. Lincoln, Kennedy).

The term “anti-American” is both jingoistic (as if the US somehow knows better than everyone else) and a form of name calling, inferring that those who disagree are “traitors”. Calling someone “anti-American” is like christians saying “He’s not a TRUE christian!” after a crime or atrocity comes to light.

And no, I’m not claiming my country is perfect.

June 16, 2012 at 7:37 pm
(6) Bob Clarke says:

Someone once said “When fascism comes to the U.S., it will come with a New Testament in one hand and carrying the American flag”.

June 17, 2012 at 1:10 pm
(7) Gerald Vanderhoff says:

I’d say Judge Moore is just plain ignorant.

He seems to believe that sharia law is an inherently bad thing. I wonder: What does sharia law say should happen to those who, like Moore’s supporters, urinate on courthouse steps?

June 17, 2012 at 7:48 pm
(8) harry says:

the way I see it he broke the law that he was suppose to inforce so he should not even be allowed to run for public office at all.