1. Religion & Spirituality

Austin Cline

Forum Discussion: Are we angry at God?

By May 23, 2012

It's common for Christians to say that atheists are just "angry" at the Christian god, as if atheists really believe but are engaged in some sort of rebellion against a parental figure. It's a ridiculous assertion since atheists can't be mad at something they don't believe exists.

But setting that aside for a moment, wouldn't anger at the Christians' god be justified? If it did exist, why shouldn't people be angry at it?

A forum member writes:

As atheists do we hate God? I mean if there was someone responsible for all the suffering, hatred and death it would be God right? Many preach that when a family member dies that its all in God's Plan, well who else believes that it is a little stupid when Christians argue that God gave us free will only to include and kill us in his grand stupid plan?

If he is up there I think he should retire, he hasn't really done anything worth while, well ok according to Christians God created everything, but where is he now? What kind of a merciful being would allow the amount of atrocities that have been committed in his name? So what if it was done by humans, we used him to justify it.

We implemented God in almost every massacre and war that has taken place in our history. We do not worship him, we use him to gain power and justify our actions, yet he seems to not care. After all that theists call us ignorant and stupid, at least we understand that *if* he was there, he doesn't care anymore.

What do you think -- are atheists just angry at God, or does it not make any sense to be "angry" at a being that doesn't exist in the first place?

Add your thoughts to the comments here or join the ongoing discussion in the forum.

Comments
October 8, 2006 at 1:45 pm
(1) SANDY says:

WHY DO YOU BLAME “GOD” FOR EVERYTHING WRONG WITH THIS WORLD? HE CREATED YOU WITH “FREE WILL” SO IT IS YOUR CHOICE WHETHER TO ACCEPT OR REJECT HIM. IT SOUND LIKE YOU REJECT AND THAT REALLLY SADDENS ME. IT IS YOUR CHOICE WHETHER TO CHOOSE GOOD OR EVIL AND IF YOU LINK UP WITH THE DEVIL YOUR REWARDS WILL BE REAPED BY THE DEVIL. UNTIL YOU SINCERELY IN YOUR HEART ACCEPT GOD AND JESUS AS YOU SAVIOR YOU WILL ALWAYS BE TORMENTED. READ YOUR BIBLE. IN THE END HE GIVES YOU MULTIPLE CHANCES TO BELIEVE IN HIM AND ACCEPT HIM BEFORE CALLING HIS PEOPLE HOME AND JUDGEMENT TO THE REST OF THE WORLD. MY FATHER AND BROTHER DID NOT BELIEVE EITHER, UNTIL THEY WERE ON THEIR DEATH BEDS AND THEN THEY CHANGED THEIR MINDS. OPEN YOUR MIND AND HEART TO THE LORD AND YOU WILL BE SURPRISED THE MIRICLES THAT WILL HAPPEN IN YOUR LIFE.

October 8, 2006 at 2:37 pm
(2) atheism says:

Since I don’t believe in any gods, I don’t blame any gods for anything. That would be like blaming elves for the weather. Your post makes no sense.

May 23, 2012 at 8:25 am
(3) Dr. J says:

Life itself is a miracle. Living it is mostly enjoyable (versus the alternative). How many gods have you rejected Sandy? What’s your point other than to say you KNOW and others do not?

May 23, 2012 at 9:55 am
(4) Tom says:

Agreed. No god, no reason to be mad at god.

May 23, 2012 at 2:00 pm
(5) The Sojourner says:

@SANDY:

Where is the “free will” of a child starving in the midst of a famine and a baby born with AIDS? Please don’t speak to me of a loving God and free will. It explains nothing! Nor does Satan, for your God has allowed Satan to run rampant. Your omnipotent God could snuff Satan out with the snap of the fingers. If he doesn’t, then God is as flawed as the humans he supposedly created. I believe in neither God nor Satan, heaven or hell. As I said, your belief explains nothing.

By the way don’t you know all caps is considered rude and like shouting? Perhaps web etiquette 101 would be of more use to you than your so-called Holy Bible.

For a bit more:

May 24, 2012 at 10:47 am
(6) Grandpa_IN-The_East says:

“No god, no reason to be mad at god.

Yeah, but that Big Bible Bastard is something else. He has all the qualities of the infinately Mean.

Grandpa

May 26, 2012 at 3:28 am
(7) The Sojourner says:

Austin:
It would seem that my comment on this subject has gotten lost in limbo again. It’s going on the third day since I commented on this. I know I’m not the only commenter here. I do think however that I may start considering whether I should bother to contribute at all. By the time the comment gets in or shows up, the article is days old and I’m not sure if anyone is really paying any attention.

If the article isn’t current and the comment was submitted when it was fresh, why comment? Anyway, I’m still going to be a reader, as I enjoy your site, but I’m not too sure about adding comments in the future.

May 29, 2012 at 12:26 pm
(8) Gerald Vanderhoff says:

In order to be angry at the Judeo-Christian-Islamic deity, I would have to believe that such a being exists, which would make me a theist, not an atheist. QED.