1. Religion & Spirituality

Austin Cline

Catholicism: Married Catholic Priests

By April 7, 2012

You aren't likely to hear a great deal about married Roman Catholic priests, but they do exist. They are Roman Catholic priests and many are married - so many, in fact, that some estimates place their number at around 20% of all Roman Catholic priests in the world. This would mean that 20% of all Roman Catholic priests are officially and legally married, even though celibacy continues to be a requirement.

Read Article: Married Catholic Priests

Comments
March 19, 2009 at 4:49 pm
(1) Beth says:

I was raised Episcopalian and when I was in high school, our married-with-three-kids priest shocked us all by saying he was leaving our church to become a Catholic priest. He had decided that the lifestyle-type rules of the Episcopal church were a little too loosy-goosy, but he liked the ceremony aspect, so Catholicism made the most sense for him (although I suspect his wife was less than happy about the switch). I have several Catholic friends who have not believed me when I told them this story – they think I miss understood and that he converted but did not remain a priest. It feels good to have some vindication.

March 20, 2009 at 7:54 pm
(2) jon says:

It baffles me why those outside the Church would have such a strong opinion about whether or not its priests can marry. I mean, why would it matter to you? Polls conducted of priests show that the MAJORITY of priests are happy.

March 20, 2009 at 10:39 pm
(3) Austin Cline says:

It baffles me why those outside the Church would have such a strong opinion about whether or not its priests can marry. †

It baffles me why adherents of a religion that keeps interfering in politics and culture would be baffled when people comment on or form opinions about that religion.

I mean, why would it matter to you? †

Because you don’t keep it to yourself?

Polls conducted of †priests show that the MAJORITY of priests are happy.

Including the married ones?

March 20, 2009 at 11:01 pm
(4) jon says:

March 20, 2009 at 11:59 pm
(5) Joseph says:

It also says something when an order of celibate men try to speak as the foremost authority on human sexuality, don’t you think?

March 21, 2009 at 12:06 am
(6) jon says:

OK, prove it. Reference for us where you find a priest saying that HE is “the foremost authority on human sexuality.”

March 21, 2009 at 3:20 am
(7) keoni says:

Jon,
Of course priests do this all the time in couples’ counseling and when advising about birth control and sexual behavior. Most recently, the comments by Pope Benedict XVI about condom use and the spread of AIDS in Africa is an example of someone speaking as THE FOREMOST AUTHORITARIAN.

These men speaking as authority figures about human sexuality effects ALL OF US (followers and non-followers). That’s why I’m interested in that group of men and what they say and do.

March 21, 2009 at 7:32 am
(8) Austin Cline says:

This reasoning you put forth is blatantly specious and sophomoric. ††

Then you should be able to show how.

I mean, really, why should YOU be interested that a group of men CHOOSE not to marry? †

Because their organization interferes in politics and culture.

All I can say is that something personal like this should be none of our business unless a man is contemplating the priesthood. †Otherwise you are incompetent to talk about this.

So no one but priests and people who are thinking about becoming priests should discuss this? I look forward to your supporting this position.

I assume you are capable of offering reasoned arguments rather than just substance-free indignation.

March 21, 2009 at 12:57 pm
(9) jon says:

keoni, that the Pope’s words concerning sex should affect non-followers is bunk! Show me a non-follower who heeds religiously the Pope’s words. Please don’t varnish your points with rhetorical nonsense.

Austin Cline, your reasoning still doesn’t make sense. If you are disputing a denomination’s politics, then why the heck would you bother with its internal disciplines with regards to its priests, which is a personal matter to these men only?? Your insistence on speaking about a personal matter that these men have chosen for themselves only makes your position laughable.

March 21, 2009 at 1:12 pm
(10) jon says:

And keoni, the last time I checked these priests including the Pope speak concerning morals and faith only out of the authority of the tradition of their Church which includes the Bible. No Catholic priest, apart from Church tradition and scripture, presents himself as the authority on morals and faith. Yours is a “caricature” of their practice. And not a very informed caricature at that.

March 21, 2009 at 4:23 pm
(11) Austin Cline says:

If you are disputing a denomination’s politics, then why the heck would you bother with its internal disciplines with regards to its priests, which is a personal matter to these men only?? †Your insistence on speaking about a personal matter that these men have chosen for themselves only makes your position laughable.

First, the celibacy of priests have an impact on how priests behave, act, and interact with the rest of society. Second, it is based on doctrines, traditions, and beliefs which are also the basis for many other positions which have even more impact on the rest of society. Both mean that clerical celibacy is far more than just a “personal matter.”

Calling it just a “personal matter” entails smuggling in the assumption that it has no impact or relevance to anyone or anything outside the personal lives of the priests, something which is manifestly untrue.

The Catholic Church is an institution which exercises power in the world in ways which affect both Catholics and non-Catholics. Not only is there nothing wrong with people commenting on such an institutions doctrines and practices, but it is incumbent upon them to do so. The only ones who object to this are those who have something to lose if the power and authority of that institution are challenged or undermined.

March 21, 2009 at 11:12 pm
(12) Steven says:

Jon,
I think it can be safely said gay mariage does not effect priests yet they have determained to place thief religious teachings into law. If your argument is to hold true invoke yourself only in matters which effect you then these moral leaders need to get out of the bussiness of making religious teaching into secular law. If they can not then I feel fine poking my nose into thief business anytime it pleases me. I think you do well with your comments to expose the hypocrasy of theists.

March 21, 2009 at 11:46 pm
(13) blackmetalworkshop says:

jon

“If you are disputing a denominationís politics, then why the heck would you bother with its internal disciplines with regards to its priests, which is a personal matter to these men only?? ”

“Your insistence on speaking about a personal matter that these men have chosen for themselves only makes your position laughable. ”

Ask your self these questions, then try to figure out why YOU are HERE.

Also lets see how easy it is to apply your own questions to your self:

“This reasoning you put forth is blatantly specious and sophomoric. I mean, really, why should YOU be interested that a group of men CHOOSE not to marry? Amazing. All I can say is that something personal like this should be none of our business unless a man is contemplating the priesthood. Otherwise you are incompetent to talk about this.”

“This reasoning you put forth is blatantly specious and sophomoric. I mean, really, why should YOU be interested that a group of PEOPLE DO NOT BELIEVE IN YOUR GOD? Amazing. All I can say is that something personal like this should be none of YOUR business unless YOU ARE contemplating the BECOMING AN ATHEIST. Otherwise you are incompetent to talk about this.”

So is that it jon, are you thinking about abandoning your faith?

March 22, 2009 at 3:45 am
(14) jon says:

By the way, let me tell you, that your blogger host has threatened to delete my responses because I dared to challenge and question his reasoning. Check his post on Vatican Diplomacy. If a free exchange of viewpoints and opinions is disallowed in a blog catered to atheists, then it only gives credence to the opinion that atheists are merely a group of isolated thinkers who can’t stand any kind of challenge to their point of view. The last resort of a closed mind is the delete button!

March 22, 2009 at 7:33 am
(15) Austin Cline says:

Correction: I warned you that I would start deleting your comments unless your comments started to include support for all your accusations and assertions rather just indignant invective, attacks, and unsupported claims.

And that’s just what I’m doing, except I’m adding to the list of reasons the fact that you feel such a strong need to lie, as demonstrated by the above. I have to wonder what else you’ve been lying about.

A free exchange of viewpoints and opinions is encouraged here and that’s precisely why you are no longer welcome to join: that goal is undermined when juvenile writers start injecting attacks and outrage without being interested in supporting what they say. Unless and until you demonstrate an interest in and ability to support your claims, you are not only incapable of having a substantive, serious discussion with others, you only end up preventing the adults around you from having such a discussion amongst themselves.

The last resort of a closed mind is the delete button!

It is indeed a last resort, because you were given multiple opportunities to improve your behavior. There was no chance of misunderstanding what you needed to do but you clearly chose to continue with the same inappropriate behavior. Even worse, you chose to lie about it. This says a lot about you, none of it good. I have to wonder if you actually want to get kicked out ‚ÄĒ perhaps because you know you can’t meet the basic standards of substantive discussion but can’t admit it and/or don’t want to walk away on your own? I really don’t know, but it’s a pattern I’ve seen before and I always find it rather sad.

March 22, 2009 at 1:23 pm
(16) blackmetalworkshop says:

“then it only gives credence to the opinion that atheists are merely a group of isolated thinkers who canít stand any kind of challenge to their point of view.”
Multiple times multiple people have clearly and concisely refuted this claim of jons. This is NOTHING more than conjecture on jons part, he has no data to back this up, yet he says it over and over ignoring every single request to prove it. This is just a single sentence from his latest post. It was so easy to find an example of this kind of unfounded claim, because his comments are riddled with them. I personally have asked jon to support several of his claims (as I have dealt with him at length), and as yet he has not even ATEMTED do support a single one.
Could it be that he, like the leaders of his cult expect that people will not read the posts for them selves, and will just swallow whole every thing he tries to feed them? Maybe, but I think it is more likely that Austin Cline hit the nail on the head, jon never had any interest in supporting his accusations, only to come and bad mouth those who disagree with him, failing to take even his own claims seriously.

What should anyone expect from a person who claims it is none of our business, and in fact says it isn’t even his business, weather or not catholic priests get married, knowing full well, that we all know how he votes when it comes to gay marriage.

Last I would just like to point out the ease with which one can go through the archives and find examples of people who challenge and question Mr. Cline’s reasoning and in fact even suggest Mr. Cline is dishonest, among other false accusations, yet are allowed to continue posting, because some of them actually, no matter how irrationally, try to support those accusations. A glaring spotlight on jon’s dishonesty.

March 24, 2009 at 10:06 pm
(17) wilmar says:

yes, i am and i believe that there are roman catholic priests who are being married but one thing i want to comments about is that their conscience will judge them if their deeds are rigth or wrong.. ” you will judge by what you do or done”

March 26, 2009 at 11:20 am
(18) Ray says:

The Eastern or Byzantine rite churches allows their priests to be married. There are thousands of married priests serving in the states and Europe, many from the Ukrainian and Ruthenian Catholic rite. This is nothing new or earth shattering. The only rule is that they must be married BEFORE they are ordained. Once ordained, they cannot marry. Also, bishops and higher clergy cannot be married.

April 4, 2009 at 12:02 pm
(19) Timothy says:

>”It baffles me why those outside the Church would have such a strong opinion about whether or not its priests can marry.”

Um, Catholic priests cannot marry; however, married men can be ordained priests and live celibately with their wives and family. Big difference.

September 5, 2012 at 12:00 pm
(20) R Blake says:

Actually, there are 23 rites in the Roman Catholic Church and the Latin Rite is the only one that had celibacy.