1. Religion & Spirituality

Austin Cline

Jewish Taliban Attacks Elderly Woman for... Something...

By March 9, 2012

In Jerusalem, a 70-year-old woman was robbed and brutally beaten by a gang of four thugs. It wasn't about money, though, it was about religion. They beat her with a metal rod, broke one hand, crushed one leg, and injured her face. They also used cell phones to proudly document the attack.

And why was she so monstrously attacked? That's not entirely clear.

On Monday night, a haredi man claiming to be a beggar came to her door and asked for spare change. Less than a minute after he left, she heard another knock on her door. This time, four masked men in gloves forced their way in, cuffed her and searched her home.

"They yelled, where are the video tapes, where's the computer," S. recalled. They didn't find any tapes, but took her laptop and her cell phone, and left.

S. managed to get up and get help, but when she stepped outside she realized the nightmare wasn't over. The assailants were still in the yard; they forced her back into her home and brutalized her.

"They yelled, you have a bad influence on our neighborhood," she said. "I knew there were rumors in the neighborhood that I'm a missionary, because they see non-Jewish women entering my home, but I'm only helping them convert to Judaism."

Source: Ynet

So she's helping non-Jews learn enough about Judaism to convert to Judaism. Normally, I'd think that devout Jews would approve of that. I guess the problem for these extremists is that by encouraging non-Jewish women to convert to Judaism, she's having non-Jewish women around -- i.e., the problem is the presence of non-Jews. Or maybe non-Jewish women who are insufficiently modest. Or something like that.

It's not entirely clear, though, because the comment from the thug -- "you have a bad influence on our neighborhood" -- could mean almost anything. They seem to hate just about everything, after all, and so just about anything could qualify as a "bad influence" in their warped minds. I honesty wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to beat an elderly woman for showing too much ankle while in public.

What do you suppose the Israeli government would do if a gang of Palestinians beat an old Jewish woman because she was a "bad influence" in their Arab-Muslim neighborhood? Yeah, it wouldn't be pretty. Witness the total absence of such a reaction when it's Jews doing it. Now, explain to me why the difference shouldn't be attributed to petty bigotry?

Comments
March 9, 2012 at 7:01 pm
(1) mobathome says:

Now, explain to me why the difference shouldn’t be attributed to petty bigotry?

From the context of the comment, I think you mean the behavior of the police. It may not be petty bigotry because it may be due to a possible “hands-off the ultra-orthodox Jews” policy of the Ministry of Internal Security, so it would be institutionalized favorable treatment of the ultra-orthodox, possibly to maintain a political coalition.

mobathome

March 10, 2012 at 3:08 am
(2) sornord says:

I lived in the Jerusalem area for three years – on both the Palestinian and the Israeli sides of the “Green Line” – while assigned to the US Consulate General from 1986 to 1989. I was amazed at the amount of prejudice and racism against non-Jews that was displayed by the Israelis, almost none of which ever made it into the US news reports. While the Palestinians are often their own worst enemies to their cause and don’t seem to realize it, the Israelis are also masters of media manipulation and spin.

March 10, 2012 at 10:09 am
(3) Randall Morrison says:

Sounds like this post is tending to simply being Anti Jewish.

And the anecdotal comments are just more smears on Jews.

Lets be careful atheists don’t get tagged with the Anti Semitic label; Dawkins already got pegged ranting about the “Notorious” Jewish Lobby…twice in TGD as a matter of fact.

March 10, 2012 at 2:11 pm
(4) Karen says:

I suspect it isn’t “petty” bigotry; it’s probably bigotry from the top all the way down to the local cop on the beat.

March 16, 2012 at 12:21 pm
(5) P Smith says:

It wouldn’t surprise me if the violent assault weren’t just a message to the victim, but to everyone in that community:

“We’ll do this to anyone for any reason. And nobody is stopping us. Remember what those nutbags did a few weeks ago to an eight year old girl?

I don’t see any difference between this and how the KKK used to operate openly in the US.

March 17, 2012 at 8:22 pm
(6) Mike Davidson says:

I bet you had to search really hard for this very un-substantiated incident.
Obviously all thugs are just that. You may want to seek reassurances from the local Rabbi, that this attack was totally deplored- or you may not wish to, in order to maintain your strong dislike of Judaism, or put another way, detestation and prejudice against these good-living people.