1. Religion & Spirituality

Austin Cline

Catholic Bishop: UNESCO Conspiring to Make Half the World Gay

By January 20, 2012

In Spain, Bishop Demetrio Fernández of Córdoba has alleged that UNESCO is trying to make half the world gay. Remember, this isn't some fringe political or religious figure; no, this is a respected leader of the Catholic Church. Is he afraid that UNESCO is trying to make him gay?

"The Minister for Family of the Papal Government, Cardinal Antonelli, told me a few days ago in Zaragoza that UNESCO has a program for the next 20 years to make half the world population homosexual. To do this they have distinct programs, and will continue to implant the ideology that is already present in our schools."

Source: El Pais

So I guess the UNESCO plot doesn't involve brain-washing beams (which means that tin-foil hats won't help) nor does it involve putting more fluoride in the water. It's all about "ideology", not "biology". Pretty standard fare from ignorant bigots, right?

I don't know which would be more disturbing: that Cardinal Antonelli knows that he's selling a load of crap but thinks so little of the intellectual capacity of Catholics in Spain that he thinks he'll succeed anyway, or that he sincerely believes that this conspiracy is genuine (in which case, his own intellectual capacity is seriously suspect).

You don't have to be religious to believe in nutty conspiracies, but it seems to help and the two often seem to go together.

Comments
January 20, 2012 at 12:41 pm
(1) Grandpa_In_The_East says:

Bishop Demetrio Fernández of Córdoba may be following the example given by the Apostle Paul: lying for the benefit of “God.”

Check out

This is a pdf publication by Charles Ulz. I haven’t been very lucky in finding material on Mr. Ulz nor any books by him on Amazon.com, but I have to admit I like the way he says:

“The rise and spread of homosexuality is a wholly natural and predictable consequence of the rise and spread of monotheistic religions such as Catholicism and Mormonism.”

It makes sense.

I would appreciate any comments from others, including Austin. Particularly information about Charles Ulz. And about his other works.

Grandpa

January 20, 2012 at 7:48 pm
(2) Karen says:

The Catholic Church may have more secrets than the pedophilia scandal. Just exactly what drugs are these bishops doing???

January 23, 2012 at 12:38 pm
(3) Chuck Mielke says:

I’ve copied and read the article by Ulz. It is not “research” in any respectable sense; it is argument by analogy. In his “Readers Digest” summary, Ulz assumes an increasing prevalence of homosexuality among humans. This assumption is refuted by broad surveys which find the prevalence of homosexuality among humans to be well within the average variation of this behavior within the rest of the animal kingdom.

January 24, 2012 at 12:21 pm
(4) Grandpa_In_The_East says:

Chuck

“In the end, Ulz’s summary is nothing more or less than an adoption of the notion of a “meme” and running with it to put forth a patently inadequate “explanation” for two facts of life that Mr. Ulz seems to dislike: monotheism and homosexuality.”

Do you mean he was trying to kill two birds with one stone? I didn’t quite see that. I saw it more like trying to shed a little light on one of the unsuspected side affects of religiousity and the social pressures which come there from.

Guess I had better read it again.

January 24, 2012 at 12:29 pm
(5) Grandpa_In_The_East says:

OH! Chuck,

The “broad surveys” that you spoke of, do you have a link?

Thanks,

Grandpa

January 24, 2012 at 7:12 pm
(6) Grandpa_In_The_East says:

Well Chuck,

I have read http://origin-of-religions.org/Origin_of_Homosexuality_revised.pdf a third time to see if I could confirm any nuance “that Mr. Ulz seems to dislike: monotheism and homosexuality.” as you reported.
I could find no evidence what-so-ever of such dislike toward homosexuality or homosexuals. I found him quite objective in regard to to religion. However, I admit to bias in this regard as I consider religion of the 21st Century, useless at best.

Perhaps you should read it again. If you have, indeed, read it at all. It’s less than 10 pages in large print.

Grandpa