1. Religion & Spirituality

Austin Cline

Rick Santorum: We Are Obliged to Make America a Christian Theocracy

By April 10, 2011

Are there any major Republican political leaders who aren't theocrats? I'm not sure there are, though some are more open about their theocratic intentions than others. Rick Santorum is especially honest about his intentions. When he filled in for Tony Perkins on the American Family Association's program "Today's Issues," he tried to argue that Shariah law is incompatible with western civilization while at the same time Christian Shariah is necessary for western civilization.

Jesus said "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's" and that huge piece of wisdom has really set the course for western civilization where you have civil laws and have civil penalties - we exact justice in a civil fashion - and then we have higher laws, we have God's law.

Now our civil laws are supposed to comport with God's laws but sometimes they don't, and so it is always the obligation of those, for example, the issue of abortion - the civil law does not comport with God's law, in my opinion and I think the opinion of many people in this country and it is our obligation to continue to try and change that law. We have to live under the civil law, we have to obey that law because it is the civil law but we need to continue to try to change it to make sure that these laws, the laws our country, comport.

In the Islamic world, that is not the case. Mohammad did not say "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's" because the civil law in Islam and the sacred law are one in the same. Shariah is both a civil code and a religious code.

Source: Right Wing Watch

Rick Santorum starts out making an argument that you'd normally hear from a Christian defending church/state separation: some things belong to God and some things belong to Caesar, so don't mix the two. Santorum is correct in noting that this separation has been important to western civilization where civil authority and religious authority have been kept separate (at least ideally, though not always in practice).

Then, sadly, Rick Santorum goes right off the deep end by asserting that civil laws must "comport" with God's laws. That's the antithesis of separating church and state. He asserts that we must obey civil laws, but then he insists that those laws must be changed to match "God's laws." What are "God's laws"? They are the Christian equivalent of Shariah. So why must we follow his god's laws?

I don't think that Rick Santorum has enough of a sense of irony to realize the contradictions in his words. People capable of a bit more introspection might notice that they were condemning one set of religious laws while endorsing the imposition of another set of religious laws -- but I've never seen Santorum demonstrate anywhere near that level of self-understanding and I've had to watch him for years now.

Comments
April 10, 2011 at 2:33 pm
(1) Joanaroo says:

Rick Santorum is a RWNJ who talks out his a**. He was a Senator for long enough that those of us in SE PA know he’s a crooked, lying, faux-Christian-money worshipping, selfish piece of shit!

April 10, 2011 at 4:19 pm
(2) donald doug says:

Sick Rantorum…nough said.

April 10, 2011 at 8:46 pm
(3) Ron says:

Joanaroo. WOW! Your accurate description of Mr Santorum leaves me all choked up! Thank you .I needed that!

April 11, 2011 at 6:22 pm
(4) A. Nuran says:

Santorum produces yet another frothy mix…

(look it up)

April 15, 2011 at 3:06 pm
(5) gahdc says:

Do your part to support “Santorum”

Whenever you are online, google “santorum” and select the appropriate choice at least once to maintain this perfect description (and animation) as the top online definition for “Santorum” where it has been since launched in 2003 by activists. He deserves this honor.

April 15, 2011 at 5:23 pm
(6) Brian says:

There’s a reason he was a one-term senator. The better the people of PA got to know him, the less they liked him. He is universally loathed in Pittsburgh.

April 15, 2011 at 8:58 pm
(7) IndianaJohn says:

Technically, Senator Santorum never says he is opposed to Sharia law. Nor does he say he agrees with “rendering unto Caesar.” He does point out that western civilization developed with a separation of religious rules and civil laws, but he never says, at least in the parts quoted above, that he is in favor of the separation of church law and civil law or that he is opposed to the replacement of civil laws with Sharia law.

April 16, 2011 at 12:38 am
(8) Borsia says:

Needless to say I won’t be voting for anyone who wants to drag their religion into government policy.
So I don’t see any GOP that I could support.
I normally vote my party, Libertarian, but in 2008 they ran Bob Barr, not a Libertarian. I fear that the republicans have infiltrated the party and corrupted it.
If any of the extremists run, and look like they have a chance, I will vote the opposite ticket even if I dislike them.
I expect the 2012 election to be the usual choice between very bad and possibly worse.

April 17, 2011 at 12:05 pm
(9) Yossarian says:

As one of the voters in the SE PA who voted out this clown, I still scratch my head wondering how he got elected in the first place. Then again Bucks County voters just put that A-hole Fitzpatrick back in office. Will we ever learn?