1. Religion & Spirituality

Austin Cline

Voting Closed: Agnosticism / Atheism 2011 Readers' Choice Award for Best Social Networking Site of 2010

By February 11, 2011

Note: Voting has closed for this Readers' Choice Poll. Winners for all the polls will be announced on March 15. We have internal checks in place to detect fraudulent voting activity, and in some cases the poll results shown during voting may not reflect the accurate final counts used to determine winners.

Social networking is one of the primary ways people use the internet today and so of course atheists have created their own social networking sites. Here are the five social networking sites most nominated by readers. Click on a link to visit them and vote for your favorite in the poll.

Finalists:

Other Agnosticism / Atheism 2011 Readers' Choice Awards Polls:

Comments
February 11, 2011 at 11:26 am
(1) HOPE T/A WINS says:

Austin, i always love your articles. Thank you for being a strong voice out there for us all, spreading reason, rationality, and actual truths! yay!

I hope ThinkAtheist wins, yes, Atheist Nexus IS big, (not sure what % of their members are actually active posters)but, it is not nearly as well moderated as ThinkAtheist, in my opinion. The ‘atmosphere’ on a/n was not as rational, not as friendly, in my opinion.

I’ll probably get slammed here, but, A/N does have a lot of immature, angry white boys running the halls, who are sexist, racist, etc, kinda ruining that site…. If one stands up to them, that poster is called a ‘whiner’. The A/N community seems far more tolerant of bigotry than many online communities are…(shiver).

Think Atheist has freedom of speech, but, stops short at allowing ad hominem attacks on members, and if one does post a remark slamming an entire group, ie a racist or sexist remark, that community on T/A will respond and stand up against that kinda garbage…which is one of many many reasons i am an ex-pat of A/N, and love Think Atheist instead.
HOPE T/A WINS, dispite AtheistNexus mass emailing it’s members to vote for A/N….

February 11, 2011 at 10:00 pm
(2) Laura says:

You’ve said it all. I agree whole heartedly with your evaluation of the two sites. Anger and animosity won’t help us find a solid common ground. I look forward to reading and relecting on the many rational and intelligent contributions by T/A’s members.

February 18, 2011 at 2:54 pm
(3) Enrique J says:

i have to disagree been a member of Atheist Nexus for almost two years and i have never seen any “bigotry.”

and yea there is a lot of talk about people being “sexist, racist, etc,” but thats the clergy men and politicians. we just comment on there actions or the things they say.

February 11, 2011 at 3:53 pm
(4) Mina Virtue says:

I wish there were fewer sites, that way we’d be a larger network of people & be able to find one another easier.

February 11, 2011 at 11:25 pm
(5) Paul Feldman says:

I agree. Atheist Nexus was the first and I often wonder why Think Atheist and the newer ones just copied it. Think Atheist even copied every single group.

It would serve our community so much better if they all would have worked together. No telling what impact we could have on the world.

February 11, 2011 at 5:02 pm
(6) Paul Feldman says:

I always wonder why people need to start trashing each other. If an trouble people show up on any site, they are kicked off. As a gay black man, I am offended when people throw around words like bigotry or racist.

Atheist Nexus has helped me meet other nonbelievers that I didn’t know lived around me. And I know it is probably true for others.

Yeah, I got the email to vote from Nexus. But I also got one from Think Atheist. Big deal.

February 11, 2011 at 7:36 pm
(7) get real says:

This is a farce. These noble experiments have been epic failures. Maybe the smaller players are different, but the big fish, Atheist Nexus and Think Atheist are the result of little more than a lovers quarrel and bitter divorce, each standing in an opposing corner and spitting venom at the other. I have given up trying to work out who is the aggrieved party – both are as bad as each other. Both have the repugnant habit of enticing new members, making them feel special and then grooming them to venture into the other’s territory as spies to gather dirt. The filth reached appalling lows when they started registering variant domain names of each others sites and redirecting traffic back to their own – all using subscriber donations. They are sealed communities that positively reinforce their own nonsense and punish heresy with expulsion. Management is shrouded in secrecy and there is no transparency whatsoever. In short, they are horrid, corrupt mirror images of the theist communities they hate. It sickens me to see atheism represented as such banal stupidity. It does more harm than good.

February 11, 2011 at 11:20 pm
(8) Paul Feldman says:

What in the world are you talking about? Both sites have helped the newer atheists connect with local groups and get support. Atheist Nexus in particular has helped connect people than any other site or organization period.

February 11, 2011 at 8:19 pm
(9) The Greatest Atheist on Earth says:

Vote for AtheistSocial. It’s not the biggest, but it is the best. The main reason is because you can search for singles better than on those other sites. The Motto of AtheistSocial is: Make Friends, Date Singles, Form Groups and Be Merry. It has email, chat, blogs, a forum, games, events, listings, videos, movie & TV videos from Hulu, music & talk radio, daily quotes, and member discounts on the Our Friends page. You can search for people by: name, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age range, height, body type, race, eye color, city, state, country, and do you smoke or drink?
Checkout their Darwin Day Theme.

February 11, 2011 at 11:22 pm
(10) Paul Feldman says:

Nice commercial. Too bad AtheistSocial is nothing but a lame copy and dating site.

April 8, 2011 at 3:45 pm
(11) Newbie Atheist Socializer says:

I’m rather new to Atheist Nexus; I haven’t yet even had a chance to peruse any other atheist sites. I also received an email asking me to vote for AN but, alas, I failed to read it before it was too late to vote. Speaking for myself, I haven’t witnessed any of the spying or grooming for sides mentioned above. Of course, as I stated, I am still new to this realm. I do think it’s a wonderful thing to be a part of, if for nothing else than to show “the others” that atheists can be respectful, beauty-loving, articulate, and maybe even spiritual, but in a less dogmatic way. This is not to say that I believe this is all there is to offer. In fact, I believe sites such as Atheist Nexus have only just scratched the surface of the positive influence that might be exerted on society through sensible, meaningful discourse. I suppose it’s already apparent I’m an optimist. But I am also on the constant lookout for such things as insincerity, outright hypocrisy, and scams… and, so far, I have seen no evidence of these among the members and moderators of Atheist Nexus.

And there you have my two-cent comment;-)