1. Religion & Spirituality

Austin Cline

Chick-Fil-A Sponsoring Homophobia

By January 16, 2011

It's not a secret that the fast-food chain Chick-Fil-A is owned and operated by conservative Christians. It shouldn't be a secret that the owners of Chick-Fil-A see their mission as spreading Christianity. What's new is that Chick-Fil-A is working with right-wing "family" groups to spread hatred and fear of gays in order to ensure that they are treated as second-class citizens. That's what you're funding when you buy food at Chick-Fil-A.

The recent revelations involve an event that's cosponsored by Chick-Fil-A and the Pennsylvania Family Institute, the state's leading homophobic organization. The homophobia of the Pennsylvania Family Institute is no secret because one of their major causes has been a constitutional amendment that would ban same-sex marriage. So Chick-Fil-A knew exactly who they were getting in bed with.

The February event co-sponsored by Chick-fil-A is called "The Art of Marriage," and it's intended to be a launching point for Pennsylvania to return to "the biblical definition of marriage." Given the work of the Pennsylvania Family Institute, it's hard not to see where this event is going to go -- straight for the jugular of anyone who supports marriage equality for same-sex couples.

The Pennsylvania Family Institute has been a leading opponent of marriage equality, and has condemned the expansion of civil rights for same-sex couples. Speaking to the Philadelphia Inquirer, the group's president, Michael Geer, said that gay marriage is not moral, and should be put up for a vote rather than decided by courts or legislatures.

"The only way that we can get the people to decide this issue is through the ballot box," Geer said. "Marriage as defined as between a man and a woman has proven to be the best for the health, education and welfare of children."

And that's a mild statement coming from Geer. As more and more states have moved to legalize same-sex marriage, Geer has stated that unless Pennsylvania adopts a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, it could be forced to accept same-sex couples as equals.

"Newspapers across the commonwealth editorialized -- and many legislators said -- we don't need an amendment, we already have a law [banning gay marriage]. This [ruling] makes clear that the law is insufficient," Geer said, after California's Supreme Court ruled in favor of marriage equality in 2008. (That ruling was eventually overturned by the passage of Proposition 8.)

Source: Gay Rights

It's true that this particular event in question does not appear to directly promote homophobia, but when it comes to groups like the Pennsylvania Family Institute, you cannot separate any "family" event from the entire "family" ideology.

It's all part of the same overall goal of fostering just one vision of what a "family" and what a "marriage" can be. If you support any one piece of that ideology, you effectively support the entire package. If you sponsor any "family" event of theirs, then you are sponsoring their vision of what a "family" can and cannot be -- and that means sponsoring their vision of a world where gay couples, gay marriages, and gay parents cannot exist. Indeed, it's arguable that their vision is one where gays don't exist at all.

Some of the other anti-gay positions of the Pennsylvania Family Institute include saying that same-sex couple could no more be "married" than a dog's tail can be it's "leg" and alleging that western civilization itself took a "direct hit" when Judge Vaughn Walker ruled Proposition 8 unconstitutional.

The Pennsylvania Family Institute seems to believe that discrimination against gays and gay couples should be perfectly legal because homosexuality and same-sex couples are biologically "wrong." They've also insisted that gay marriage is a threat not just to civilization, but also to children, families, and would effectively punish our entire society because it would mean caving in to a "radical sexual revolution."

After the outrage first erupted, the Chick-Fil-A name was removed from ads promoting the event, but nothing has been said declaring that Chick-Fil-A has definitely withdrawn. And even if they have that doesn't entirely excuse them because there was ample evidence for what they were getting into from the beginning. If they only do the right then when caught, then they aren't doing it for the right reasons.

Do you still buy any food at Chick-Fil-A? If so, why? If so, do you intend to stop and let them know how you feel?

Comments
January 16, 2011 at 1:07 pm
(1) IndianaJohn says:

So, Chik-Fil-A got caught showing their bigotry. Target got caught. It seems to me a lot of other large companies are probably run by people with bigoted points of view whose bigotry hasn’t become public yet. The best bet seems to be to do business, whenever possible, with locally owned, ethical businesses.

I have already quit going to Chik-Fil-A, but that is because I am sticking to a healthier, vegetarian diet, and that’s a whole other story.

January 18, 2011 at 12:41 pm
(2) Preacher'sKid says:

It sure would be nice if all Christians would return to what Jesus taught and love all people regardless of who or what they are. Interesting that Jesus hung out with the prostitutes, lepers and tax collectors (the outcasts of society), but some Christians shun the same people that Jesus would have welcomed with open arms.

January 28, 2011 at 8:52 am
(3) Melmue says:

You are the first person who claims to be a Christian that actually IS a Christian. No judging, no condemning–I appaud your faith and understanding of God and his intention for the people of the world. Thank you.

January 21, 2011 at 3:21 pm
(4) George Gauthier says:

As I remember my the Bible, “the biblical definition of marriage” includes multiple wives not to mention all those concubines, er hand maidens. Of course that only applied to those rich enough to afford more than one female consort.

January 28, 2011 at 8:48 pm
(5) Perino says:

Lot of “non-judgmental” people on this blog exhibiting a lot of judgmentalism. I plan to eat more Chik-fil-A.

January 28, 2011 at 9:53 pm
(6) Austin Cline says:

Lot of “non-judgmental” people on this blog exhibiting a lot of judgmentalism.

Who claimed here to be “non-judgemental”? Attributing something to people that they never said or claimed is arrogant at best. At the very least, it expresses an inability to deal with what people actually write.

I plan to eat more Chik-fil-A.

So you want to support and fund the oppression of gays, the denial of equal rights for gays, and perhaps the elimination of gays from society. That runs about average for Christians in America, it seems, but it ranks at the bottom of the tank for basic morality and decency.

January 31, 2011 at 12:18 pm
(7) GTS says:

I will still buy Chick-fil-a without hesitation. I believe they have every right to give their food to anyone they choose. Personally, I agree with their stand, but regardless, I still go to Wal-mart or to gas stations when I might not agree with everything THEY do.

Its funny how people want to criticize conservatives saying they are not being “tolerant” yet that is exactly what the pro-homosexual crowd is doing…not being tolerant. Why is tolerance only one-sided? Tolerance is simply allowing someone the right to believe differently than you do. In fact, its not really having to show tolerance when they AGREE with you.

America is great because we should be able to disagree without being disagreeable. I should have the right to be for or against whatever I have a conviction about.

And for the record, George, that is NOT the biblical definition of marriage. The first marriage mentioned in the Bible that God instituted is found in Gen 2:24, “Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.” It speaks of one man and one woman. Sure, there were some in the Bible who had multiple wives, but is simple a record of what happened, not God’s approval of it. Just like there are stories of those who murdered int he Bible, that doesn’t mean God endorsed that behavior. In fact, you will find that those who had multiple wives always had problems as a result of it.

Bottom line: I believe a person or business should have the right to be for OR against whatever they feel is right for their conscience and if they are persecuted by others for exercising that right, then we are no longer living in THE LAND OF THE FREE.

January 31, 2011 at 2:38 pm
(8) Austin Cline says:

Right – objecting to the funding of groups that want to deny you basic civil equality is “intolerant” in the same way that trying to deny you basic civil equality is “intolerant.”

In this way, the bus boycotts by the Civil Rights Movement were just as “intolerant” as forcing black people to sit in the back of the bus.

And Chck-Fil-A is being allowed to fund bigotry and discrimination.

Right, there’s nothing disagreeable in the tone or attitude of the Christian Right groups towards gays.

Right, because refusing to purchase from a business that funds bigotry is “persecution”.

Do you even comprehend what words like “persecution” and “tolerance” actually mean? I have to ask because you sure don’t use them correctly.

January 31, 2011 at 4:10 pm
(9) jb says:

Thank you, GTS. Saying that people who eat at Chik-fil-a hate homosexuals is one of the stupidest things I’ve heard in awhile. Pepsi and Home Depot, to name a couple, sponsor their Gay Pride parades and that’s fine, but let someone try to practice their religion, and they’re the scum of the earth. It’s ridiculous that this is even an issue.

January 31, 2011 at 7:59 pm
(10) Austin Cline says:

And no one has said it. That position is a creation of your own imagination. Which means that the stupidest thing you’ve heard is your own creation.

Really? Cite someone saying this.

It’s ridiculous that this is even an issue.

No, what’s ridiculous is people making up nonsensical ideas and attributing them to others.

January 31, 2011 at 9:11 pm
(11) David says:

Why do we always stop short of remembering and pointing out that Jesus said to the woman who he saved from stoning “now go and sin no more.” He loves us all and wants for us the eternal life that we were created for- in God’s image and for God’s purpose, which includes pro-creation. Amen. Selah.

March 22, 2011 at 2:40 pm
(12) Jordan Gustaitis says:

Yes this is the land of the free,and we should all be allowed to agree or disagree with anything and everything we want. But there is a difference between disagreeing and persecution. You don’t have to agree that I should be able to marry my leabian wife. But you should agree, as a christian believing in an all loving jesus, that my sexuality should not be grounds to deny me my rights alotted to me as a proud US citizen.

July 21, 2011 at 9:43 am
(13) Ann says:

Yes I support Chick Fil A, and oppose giving gays the same rights as heterosexuals, in marriage and approval of that lifestyle choice. The Bible teaches us not to hate, or do evil, we are to love the sinner, but hate the sin. The biggest fear most Christians have, is that future generations will have no moral compass, if all they see around them is “do what you want”. Christianity and the Bible are being taken out of America.
I support Chick Fil A, and their efforts to spread the word of God, and do what their moral compass tells them.
This country is in bad shape, alot of it is caused by godless leadership, and we all are reaping what has been sown.

July 21, 2011 at 3:00 pm
(14) Austin Cline says:

And so you do hateful things to fellow citizens. Yeah, makes sense.

Yeah, like approving of interracial marriage.

Christianity and the Bible are being taken out of America.

No, they are being taken out of American law – which is appropriate given the fact that American law belongs to and applies to all Americans, not just Christians.

If you want to live in a Christian theocracy, build a time machine and return to the Dark Ages.

Isn’t that what the KKK does, too?

The implication of that is that your god punishes innocent people for the “sins” of others. This would make your god a moral monster, unworthy of even minimal respect never mind worship.

July 27, 2011 at 10:26 pm
(15) amber says:

but oh those chicken sandwiches are so delicious…omg.. and it sucks cause my best friend who is a lesbian told me how she doesnt eat chik fil a anymore and it was in part to what her partner discovered about them being a homophobia supporter. I have TOO many gay friends plus a gay brother to feel like these guys deserve anymore of my $$… its gonna be serious withdrawal..lol.. but worth it!!

August 19, 2011 at 5:56 pm
(16) John Thomson says:

I’m proud of your support of your friends. It’s usually difficult to do the right thing.

August 20, 2011 at 7:39 pm
(17) Zack says:

I really like their food, too. Really, really, really like it.

But I am going to try to abstain. Damn it.

August 15, 2011 at 7:45 pm
(18) tiredofitall says:

Why is it when someone disagrees with gays they are label homophobic? People who don’t agree with the gay lifestyle is not afraid of them, they just disagree. I believe that each person has to stand in front of God and account for what they do. Therefore, do what you want to do but do not push your beliefs on me nor will I you. But if you ask me what I think expect the truth and deal with it. I don’t agree with the gay life style and never will but that is their decision.

August 16, 2011 at 7:26 am
(19) Austin Cline says:

Why is it when someone disagrees with gays they are label homophobic?

They aren’t, necessarily.

Being gay isn’t a “lifestyle.” There is no single lifestyle that is common to all gays any more than there is a single lifestyle common to all heterosexuals.

Including being bigoted?

If you think that gays are “pushing” their “beliefs” on others more than conservative evangelical or Catholic Christians are doing, then show how.

But if you ask me what I think expect the truth and deal with it.

Don’t you accord the same standards to others?

I don’t agree with Christian bigotry, but that’s your decision.

August 19, 2011 at 8:10 pm
(20) retiredwheezer says:

Type “Chick-Fil-A” into Google and you will find 67 pages of fluff stories about franchise recipes and franchise community activities. Anyone seeking information about the gay controversy has to dig through a lot of chicken sandwich camouflage to find details.

August 25, 2011 at 6:43 pm
(21) A says:

Much, much better Gay Livestyle then the anti-gay death style. There is too much forcing the anti-gay death style on Gays. Much, much better Gay Promotion then the anti-gay demotion. There is too much anti-gay demotion. The anti-gays are just trying to trick us. Don’t be fooled. What the anti-gays are doing is HUMAN SACRIFICE! If one believes in God, then, Human Sacrifice in not needed at all. The anti-gays are just trying to pull Gays down to their level, and this is so true. The anti-gays are dirty cowards too. Yes, the anti-gays force their death style, and their demotion on Gays. Gay Liberation is that Gays are protected and left alone! O.K.

March 7, 2012 at 4:05 pm
(22) Sage says:

Austin Cline, your arguments are valid, well-thought out, logical, and true. You rock. Thank you. I never ate at this place and never will and I’m spreading the word of what they’re doing.

July 26, 2012 at 12:29 pm
(23) Kay Ellis says:

Using intimidation to change one’s beliefs does not work.
Why does tolerance go only one way?
What one chooses to do in the bedroom is no one else’s business.
I have never eaten at Chick-Fil-A, but I will now.

July 27, 2012 at 2:46 pm
(24) Austin Cline says:

Using intimidation to change one’s beliefs does not work.

Who’s being intimidated?

Why does tolerance go only one way?

Why is it always the bigots preaching intolerance who plead for others to show deference to bigotry?

I have never eaten at Chick-Fil-A, but I will now.

Because you value and support anti-gay bigotry and discrimination.