1. Religion & Spirituality

Austin Cline

Forum Discussion: A Unifying Atheist Motto?

By August 4, 2010

One issue which provokes a lot of discussion among atheists is the question of unity among atheists and atheist groups. It's obvious to anyone who looks that there really isn't any unity -- atheists and atheist groups all follow their own paths in their own separate ways and only come together when they find some common cause to work on. But should there be more unity, even if it's only about stated values and principles?

A forum member writes:

[M]y suggestion is that every independent Atheist group adopt the same, single motto: "Veritas Omnia Vincit", which in its antiquity is not copyrighted, and can speak for any godless/atheist philosophy. Having a UNIFYING image to present to the religious world would give each and every group, Atheist Alliance, Secular Humanism, Freethought Society, far more perceived power, strength in numbers, yet allowing for individuality necessary to different regional turns of mind.

All the different christian groups can sport the same "cross" as an insignia. VERITAS OMNIA VINCIT, declaring that Truth Conquers All, is a non-combative, clearly stated stand on integrity. ... I sincerely believe that it is counterproductive for atheists to lack a visible identity, even though each atheist bases the rationalist philosophy of life on different experiences in different cultures. However, Veritas Omnia Vincit applies.

Do you think that atheists need to be united by a single slogan? If so, would the above work or do you think that there might be something better out there? Add your thoughts to the comments here or join the ongoing discussion in the forum.

Comments
April 5, 2008 at 10:01 pm
(1) MJJP says:

It is surprising that it took so long for someone to comment but let me be the first. I think the phrase is appropriate and I will adopt it as mine.

November 24, 2008 at 2:59 am
(2) Kytus says:

Atheists need create a church like gathering place. The whole point would be become a unify as s political entity to stand against oppressive religious organizations, you know who I’m talking about….all of them.

We seriously need some branding, and an adwords campaign.

VERITAS OMNIA VINCIT
Truth Conquers All

January 27, 2010 at 8:12 pm
(3) Chruch? says:

A church would destroy the point of atheism, to not believe anything. A church would also create a target for aggressive anti-atheists. I would say thats a bad idea.

May 3, 2011 at 9:02 pm
(4) Logan Jess Brown says:

idiot. atheism isn’t believing in nothing. its not believing in religion. youre thinking of nihilism. for fuck sake just google it next time, instead of making yourself look like a completely ignorant jackass.

August 4, 2010 at 11:21 am
(5) vjack says:

I like the idea of it, but I am not sure what it has to do with atheism. It also makes me feel a bit discouraged because if there is one thing that religion has proven over the years it is that humans tend to prefer lots of other things to truth.

August 4, 2010 at 11:43 am
(6) P.E. says:

I think Kytus meant to focus on “gathering place”, which church people have as a physical gathering place, but what do we have? So, yes, perhaps as an internet gathering place, we could have a motto to rally around and unify us. I like the Veritas omnia vincit. I googled on it just to read more about it. The search also came up with “Amor omnia vincit”, “Love conquers all”, and I like that too, as in opposition to hate groups, esp. those masquerading as religious groups.

August 4, 2010 at 12:01 pm
(7) ZoeK says:

Why not just a normal building?
Political parties don’t form in churches. They have little offices where they get together and get stuff done. Having a desk, printing press, and organized building sounds a lot more useful than an odd church.

Plus, even if us being atheists in a church seems like good pay back… note that offending someone is the fastest way to make them distrust you. Atheism would do some good to un-convert people, as I call it, rather than offend them.

Oh and, why would a church beat the purpose of atheism? I don’t see the point of us needing one… but to be difficult: Many religious people never go to church, but they are still religious by their claims.
I don’t think setting foot in a church would make my foot burst into flames while I scream “I RENOUNCE MY ATHEISM FOR (INSERT MAJOR RELIGION HERE)” ;P

August 4, 2010 at 10:38 pm
(8) frankjg says:

I do believe that atheists are growing in numbers especially in the more developed countries of Europe and America. I have read that modern day culture and morality is more atheistic than religous.
If this is so, then probably, in the future, atheism will be in the majority.

August 5, 2010 at 11:52 am
(9) Aleksandr says:

“What kind of political structure shall the majority atheists prefer to have then ? Democracy, socialism, communism, monarchy ?”

I apologise if I’m mistaken but did you imply that Socialism and Communism are contrary to Democracy? Even Monarchy and things like Neopotism aren’t contrary as long as you have Democratic components. Although I should add also that Socialism is not a political structure – it’s an economic structure.

August 10, 2010 at 3:58 pm
(10) Todd says:

i don’t want any groups, buildings, slogans or symbols. i feel that such grouping devolves into groupthink which is one of the things i loathe about religion. Why emulate the worst aspects of what we reject?

Having some witty comebacks and references to cite in a debate is fine, but having any sort of dogma makes us vulnerable to the old “athiesm is an religions to LOLOLOOOLO!!eleven!1″ attack. i don’t want to have Antipope Hitchens’ picture on my wall.

Better to grind away at them with republic democracy. Vote. Debate. Discuss. Eventually religion will be regarded as some quiant backward habit some isolated people have.

August 10, 2010 at 4:21 pm
(11) Dean says:

Nice motto.

As far as actual churches, some Unitarian Universalist congregations are effectively humanist, there’s also Ethical Culture, though they’re hard to happen to live near.

Thanks to Meetup.com and Facebook Groups you can combine internet and physical location. My group, the Freethought Society of the Midlands (FSM) is having our ‘Sandhills Heathens’ meeting tonight at a local restaurant. It’s like we’re everywhere!

August 12, 2010 at 1:04 am
(12) Zack says:

“Truth Conquers All” is too vague. It’s hard for me to see how a slogan that a theist could comfortably wear on their T-shirt can also serve as a useful identity for atheists.

If we just have to have a slogan, I prefer to crib from groups like the NRA, who have shown they know how to frog-march their local congressman up to the microphone when it’s roll call on a bill that matters. I want a bumper sticker that reads:

I AM AN ATHEIST AND I VOTE!

August 16, 2010 at 6:19 pm
(13) seathanaich says:

Veritas Omnia Vincit is a good motto.

My personal one is Chan i Buaidh Gun Onair – There is no Victory Without Honour. Cheers.

January 2, 2014 at 12:57 pm
(14) Karl Junker says:

That’s an effete motto. We need a motto that means what we believe that there is no god or gods. Do not try to hide behind the real principle by clouding in in some banal message of veracity. Stand for the wisdom of our groups membership and embrace Cogito, ergo deus no est “I think, therefore god does not exist”