1. Religion & Spirituality

Austin Cline

El Dorado Chiropractic Fires Woman for Being an Atheist?

By May 21, 2009

Amanda Donaldson has been in treatment for breast cancer and, just to add to her burdens, she's allegedly been fired from her job at El Dorado Chiropractic because Dr. Scott Dawson doesn't approve of the fact that Donaldson and her husband Brant are atheists. Dr. Dawson has denied the story and tried to defend his actions as owner of El Dorado Chiropractic, but his story doesn't quite ring true to me.
The Donaldson’s claim that on March 26th “Dr. Dawson somehow found the site and blog and immediately began threatening her over her job” because of Brant Donaldson religious opinions posted on ‘The Cancer Chronicles’ blog. Brant goes on to say in his blog that Dr. Dawson “…threatened to fire her if I did not remove the religious part of the entries…”. For fear of consequences towards his wife, Mr. Donaldson removed his personal religious opinions from previously posted entries.

Brant also stated that Dr. Dawson “…would still pressure his religious viewpoint on her and threaten to fire her if she continued to be an atheist.” And that his wife “…has been told that she is being punished for her lack of faith.”

Source: AtheosToday

Can you imagine the outcry from Christian organizations if the doctor were an atheist who fired a Christian and told her that she is "being punished for her faith"? Can you imagine how such an incident would be used by Christian organizations to "prove" that there is anti-Christian conspiracy and that Christians must suffer oppression in America?

Yet here we have what appears to be a clear, unambiguous example of anti-atheist bigotry and anti-atheist discrimination. What's more, it's an incident that creates a significant amount of harm because not only did Amanda Donaldson lose a job in a bad economy, but she lost her health insurance as well — insurance which she needs more than the average person given her cancer. How likely do you think she is to get a decent job given how much time she has to keep taking off right now for treatment, and how likely do you think it is that a new insurance policy will do anything for her given all the exemptions for "pre-existing conditions" which they impose?

I don't think it would be to unreasonable to ask whether a case of discrimination like what this appears to be is ultimately also a case of trying to hasten a person's death simply because they don't share your religion.

In an interview with Kacey Cornell, Amanda Donaldson has further explained what happened:

What exactly happened the day you were terminated?

5/4/09- The day I was fired I was busy trying to straighten up the stuff he had just let pile up while I was recovering from my mastectomy. This included the front office/desk work, patient care and back office work as well as cleaning the office up (which I was not supposed to do due to the limitations in effect after the surgery. I needed to vacuum because he said, "Well you know I am not going to do it.") He had hardly spoken a word to me and I was all into getting things back in order for the afternoon. When he did start the casual how are you feeling conversation I told him I was hurting a little but I had some medicine in my purse I could take if it got too bad. He asked me about Brant, my husband, and I told him the good news about him finding a good job, 8-5, M-F with benefits.

He walked away and came back a short while later, approached me and said, “I cannot have negativity toward God associated with this place (indicating his office), it’s all I have.”

He pressured me once again to attend his church, which I had previously done as a requirement for my job (I did get paid for it) and I said thanks for the invite but I think I am ok. I then told him I was never negative nor did I have an outspoken attitude about my beliefs within his office to which he replied, "There is no place for your thoughts, opinions and beliefs on God in my office, please give me your key and leave.”

I then told him that no one but him even knew how I believed; I didn’t talk to the patients about it and never brought it up when the patients asked if they could pray for me. I told him that I had been very tolerant of his beliefs and those of the patients and asked why this was a problem. To this he replied, “You're never here anyway!” (referring to my being gone for surgery.)

He then proceeded to scream and yell at me, while I was trying to get the key to his office off my keychain and gather my belongings, demanding that if I would accept Jesus I would be ok and telling me there was no point in my being there anyway, since I was never there. I then proceeded to walk the four miles to my house due to the fact that we are a single-car family and my husband had the car.

Kacey also tried to talk to Dr. Dawson to get his side of the story:

He said that Amanda and her husband are just “bitter and angry” and stated that he thinks none of this would be happening if it weren’t for her husband’s influence. He claimed that he always knew Amanda to be a “woman of God” and that the idea she is an atheist was “new” to him. He said, “They were damaged before they met me,” because they had “hatred for the world.”

...Eventually Dr. Dawson mentioned not being happy with what Amanda’s husband was writing. When I asked him what he was referring to he said, “I found a blog 6-8 weeks ago. I wasn’t happy about the negativity in it and was afraid patients would be deterred. Amanda said she was keeping it ‘out of here’ but I didn’t want negative stuff associated with the office.”

He went on to make two other statements that are very important to Amanda’s story. He said, “It’s a Christ-oriented office, they (meaning employees) need to be on the same page I am.”

I asked if the orientation of the office meant he only treated certain people and he said, “No, I treat anyone, but I’m a person of faith, connected to God, and I’ll hire anyone who is qualified.” However, he then immediately added, “but I do not want to hire anyone with a different world view.” [emphasis added]

The emphasized passages really make it tough to believe Dr. Dawson's story — an employer who insists that they need a "Christ-centered" office, that they don't want "negative stuff" even "associated" with the office, and that they only want to hire people who have the same "world view" is an employer who is basically admitting that their policies are bigoted, discriminatory, and oppressive. This is exacerbated by the fact that Dawson seems to be just blaming atheism and the husband's atheism for all the problems — apparently, he's innocent of any wrongdoing whatsoever.

By now I'll bet you're thinking that Amanda Donaldson has a great legal case for illegal religious discrimination and will win a lawsuit — but you'd be wrong. Amanda has already gone to the EEOC and spoken with her state representatives and apparently Dr. Dawson could just state outright "yeah, I fired her because she's an atheist and I'd do it again" without having to fear any legal repercussions. Why? Because labor laws in the state of Texas don't entirely protect employees in companies that have 15 or fewer people working there. According to Amanda, any sort of discrimination — religious, racial, gender, disability etc. — is legal for small firms. She's trying to get the law changed, but even if she's successful that can't help her now.

Is it merely a coincidence that the people who perpetuate myths about Christians being oppressed and who perpetuate bigotry against atheists also tend to be the same ones who support the current system of health care and labor laws which are exacerbating the problems here? I don't think so because any effective system of oppression has to be able to exert pressure and create fear at multiple points in a person's life. You won't be as likely to submit to an employer's unseasonable demands, including immoral or illegal religious demands, if you aren't afraid of losing retirement and health care benefits if you are fired for standing up for your rights. Oppression doesn't work if it's easy for people to escape that oppression.

Comments
May 21, 2009 at 12:28 pm
(1) Mikko says:

I didn’t want negative stuff associated with the office

Fail!

May 21, 2009 at 12:29 pm
(2) Mikko says:

“I didn’t want negative stuff associated with the office”

Fail!

May 21, 2009 at 1:27 pm
(3) Mark Barratt says:

In even the most strident and “militant” atheist books, websites, videos on YouTube etc. I don’t ever remember seeing any atheist with complete certainty in a simple “atheists good theists bad” view of the human race.

I’ve never seen an atheist who won’t happily admit that theists can be decent people. I’ve never seen an atheist deny that theists can give to charity and help people. I certainly don’t deny it. And I’ve never seen an example of an atheist employer sacking a theist employee merely for their theism, regardless of how they behaved otherwise. It’s been said often enough that the worst thing an atheist can think about a theist for their theism is that they’re wrong about an issue of fact. Theists are capable of far more hideous views of atheists thanks to their insane metaphysical beliefs.

Here we see this f***wit, who holds so tightly to the converse, to a “theist good atheist bad” attitude, and will even do everything he can to destroy an innocent woman’s life simply because she’s an atheist, simply because she DISAGREES with him about something and has the nerve to be married to somebody who expresses similar views publically. This is not the first example of this attitude from theists that I’ve seen either.

And yet they have the NERVE to claim that we don’t know right from wrong, and that we deserve to burn forever for whatever perceived slight we’ve committed against their imaginary friend. They actually PROMOTE this attitude in public! And when we dare to complain they scream persecution!

I don’t know what point I’m making. This story just really disgusted me.

May 21, 2009 at 2:33 pm
(4) Stephan Goodwin says:

Get the ACLU on this crap if it is true. Texas law may not cover it, but Federal law does.

May 21, 2009 at 2:37 pm
(5) Joseph says:

Normally I’d express outrage how anyone involved in medical science could be so backward, but he’s a chiropractor, that’s hardly a legitimate field.

May 21, 2009 at 4:30 pm
(6) Ol'Froth says:

Chiropractic is essentially a faith-based practice with little foundation in science, so I guess that’s why he needs a faith-based office. Interesting how a so-called christian is making money in a fraud-filled field.

May 21, 2009 at 4:55 pm
(7) Drew says:

I posted this link and the donation site on atheistnexus.com, after making a donation myself. If you can donate to an ad on a bus, you can donate $5 to this woman.

Find the website:

May 21, 2009 at 4:58 pm
(8) Drew says:

Oh, and for Joseph and Ol’Froth . . . there is nothing “faith based” about how a bad back feels before and after a chiropractic visit. I wish that mere “faith” improved how my back feels when it needs an adjustment. Studying the physiology of the body at university for a few years, and getting the “doctor” honorific is very different than quakery. It’s interesting the medical profession tars it’s legitimate competitors – midwives and chiropractors – with the same brush it (rightly) tars illegitimate competitors with.

May 21, 2009 at 7:29 pm
(9) AL Jeremy says:

Drew- For the most part you are correct. There are aspects of modern chiropractic that’s effective. However, those are generally the same as one would receive in a typical physical therapy session. Also, it is likely being done by a person that is unlicensed to perform such therapies. The reason why most chiropractics (and some mid- wives) receive such negative attention from medical professionals is because there are loads of ineffective, absurd and sometimes dangerous methods involved with the practice in much of its incarnations and any tarring they receive is well justified.

May 21, 2009 at 9:21 pm
(10) Joseph says:

Drew: as far as back problems go, I’m not disputing it’s possible effectiveness. What I find suspect about chiropracty is their belief that spinal manipulation can cure any other ailment. Especially then it’s done on children, who’s spines haven’t fully developed.

May 22, 2009 at 4:34 pm
(11) Dean says:

This is a sad case, and I hope the employer learns that turning out a sick employee is ‘negative stuff associated with his office’. However, I doubt that opressing atheists is a factor in opposing changes to our health care system.

May 27, 2009 at 11:48 am
(12) starbrite says:

Mark, I love the way you put it, “I don’t know what point I’m making. This story just really disgusted me.” There are so many directions to go on this, it’s hard to streamline it all into one linear argument without going off on tangents.

As a Christian myself, I have to say that I’m personally disgusted by and ashamed of Dr. Dawson’s behavior, attitude, and mindset. He is exemplifying the very opposite of that which Jesus teaches – compassion, love, family, fellowship. We talk about Satan, we talk about the influence of Evil in the world, and immediately point to anyone and everyone who isn’t “just like us;” we get so focused on the speck of dust in everyone else’s eyes that we are blinded to the great big plank in our own, and we fail to see that we are, in effect, doing the very work of the Devil that we are accusing everyone else of!

I’ve seen self-proclaimed Christians turn their eyes away from the homeless, hungry, hopeless and destitute, with justifications ranging from, “I don’t have time or money to get involved,” to, “Their sins put them there, God is punishing them;” and in the same blink of an eye I’ll see a Buddhist, a Jew, a Wiccan, a Zoastrian, a Native-American Shaman, an Atheist, an agnostic, bring food, clothing, companionship, and conversation to these people who so desperately need that which Jesus himself emphasized in His teachings.

Most of us are familiar with the parable of the Good Samaritan. Some dude was mugged and robbed, and I think in some interpretations may have even been raped. He was left bleeding, naked, broken, and broke on the side of the road. Several pious Jews (citizens of Jerusalem) variously came upon him along their travels and immediately moved to the other side of the road in disdain and disgust. They didn’t want to be contaminated by this dirty, naked guy – who knows how he got there! Surely he had done some sort of wrong that God was punishing him for, and who are we to interfere with God’s wrath upon the wayward and unrepentant sinners of the world, right? Maybe he was a drunkard. Maybe he was a thief, and had met with his just end. Maybe he was a baby-killer. Maybe he was a child-molester. Maybe he was “possessed by demons” (i.e. schizophrenic, bipolar, multiple-personality, etc.) Or maybe – blasphemy! – he was a GENTILE! (Egads! The horror! He’s not one of us!) Who knows? Let’s keep on walking, before he comes to and sicks his filthy influence on us, or asks us for help. So much for exemplifying the Love of God. So then a Samaritan happens by – and, btw, for any of you who aren’t familiar, the Jews and the Samaritans got along about as well as the Serbs and the Croatians – sees this filthy, beat-up, God-forsaken soul lying on the side of the road; doesn’t ask of himself (or of the man) where he came from, how he got there, what he did to deserve such treatment; he just busts out his own supply of linens, clothes, food and wine, and proceeds to care for this guy – cleans him up, dresses his wounds, feeds him, then puts the guy on his donkey and takes him into town, gets him a room, and leaves enough money with the innkeeper to make sure the man is taken care of until he can get back on his own feet. The thing we don’t know here is, maybe the bum-rushed dude WAS a child molester! Maybe he WAS a con artist! Maybe he WAS a drunkard! Maybe he WAS being “punished by God!” Maybe he DID “deserve” to be jumped like that! The Samaritan didn’t let any of that get in the way. All he saw was someone who needed help. He acted out of compassion and love, which is what Jesus teaches that we must do with one another, and which is exactly the OPPOSITE of what Dr. Dawson did in his treatment of Amanda. It should make no difference whatsoever what she believes or doesn’t believe – especially given her circumstances! What Dr. Dawson has done is no less than what the original group of muggers did to the one dude in the first place!

My apologies for the sermon – my point isn’t to proselytize, it’s to point out the stark hypocrisy of Dr. Dawson’s behavior (which is undoubtedly not lost on anyone here) with relation to the “faith” he professes. If he wishes to truly exemplify a Christian attitude – if he wants his office environment to be truly Christ-like in atmosphere, he would’ve accepted Amanda with love and treated her absolutely no different from anyone else. Instead, he has undermined the very faith he SAYS he’s trying to promote, and essentially sentenced a woman to death. If anything can be said to be the “work of the Devil,” this is absolutely it. (Whether you believe the “work of the Devil” to be the actual, metaphysical influence of a supernatural entity, or simply a social attitude propagated by mindset and behavior.)

May 31, 2009 at 10:49 pm
(13) bryan says:

Let’s just say that we were planning on dinner out tonite, but after what I read we decided to help Amamda out with $25 and we stayed home and raided the freezer instead.

Best wishes to you guys. And thanks to those of faith as well as non-faith for their very excellent responses in this regard.

June 26, 2009 at 7:26 pm
(14) Howard says:

i hope the ACLU will defend her and sue that rat bastard chiropracter. if it were any other group that was discriminated against a lawsuit would already have been filed. this is unacceptable behavior and should not be tolerated. this good christian fired someone who will surely die withouth medical care merely because she doesn’t believe in the supernatural.

July 13, 2009 at 10:41 am
(15) Helen Bascom says:

I am sick of theists crying foul every time someone disagrees with them. They can believe whatever fantasy they want to believe, just don’t try to force the rest of us to believe in your invisible guy in the sky.

July 14, 2009 at 11:39 am
(16) Sam says:

Just another typical theist crying obstruction of justice at their godless employees.I miss the theists I grew up with, where you could believe in the pink juju under the sea and they wouldn’t care.

July 14, 2009 at 2:26 pm
(17) Calamity says:

How the hell does he get away with firing her for being an atheist? I’m in the UK, I don’t know much about US law, but it can’t allow this kind of discrimination based on faith or lack of, surely?

Besides that, the “Dr” is an arse, does he know so little about his faith that he thinks coerced conversions are worth anything? Dipstick.

ps, Sam, I think maybe I’m more the kind of theist you grew up with, people like this back cracker do my head in.

July 14, 2009 at 2:37 pm
(18) Carmenego says:

@Starbrite

Really well said! I’m an atheist now, but I was brought up a Catholic (even taught Sunday school sometimes) and it really makes me sad when people claim to be Christians without even thinking for a second about Jesus and the things he did and said in the Bible.

Have you seen Religulous? It’s a bit heavy on the baiting, but raises some genuinely interesting points as to the delusions some people will have in order to convince themselves they are acting as God wants.

July 14, 2009 at 3:33 pm
(19) Tim says:

Unfortunately, this seems to be a very Christian(tm) outlook. It’s too bad that so many Christians(tm) seem to be so far off from what Jesus himself actually taught (which was to help those less fortunate). Jesus himself would probably donate to Amanda.

What an a-hole. I hope that Dr. is looking forward to the judgement that he believes in.

Most of the atheists I know are truly better followers of Jesus’ real teachings than any of the Christians(tm) I’ve met.

On a personal note, Breast Cancer claimed 1 of my aunts, and a cousin’s wife is currently battling it, and my mother is in remission. 6 years free of the Beast.

I donated to Amanda. If everyone just takes 1 day’s lunch money and donates it, we can help this struggling woman with her battle(s).

July 14, 2009 at 3:55 pm
(20) Roc says:

This is crap.. what does this have to do with her being an ‘atheist’.. she lost her job because:

1)she was probably terrible at it
2)economy is bad?
3)Bad luck?

What?.. she does not believe in God.. but she can’t believe in bad luck?

:-)

July 14, 2009 at 5:01 pm
(21) Sharon says:

This is appalling! There is no way that discrimination of this sort can be tolerated.

Also I truly hope that this doesn’t lead to cruel stereotypes of Christians or theists like those atheists presume theists have of them.

No one deserves to b treated the way Amanda has been. And I hope that the ACLU steps in and goes after the Doc with everything they have.

July 14, 2009 at 11:53 pm
(22) Boris says:

@Starbright: Well said. I may disagree with your religion, but it’s nice to see that there are still some rational people who hold to it.

July 15, 2009 at 4:34 am
(23) myrtle the fertile turtle says:

chiropractors are all quacks anyway. every single “therapeutic” act performed by a chiropractor is a fraud. the only thing they’re good for is running up special damages in a personal injury case.

July 15, 2009 at 4:10 pm
(24) Dr. Robert Tomson says:

Don’t believe it.. always look at both sides, never believe any one sided argument. we all know there is more to this. I’m no sucker, and don’t buy into one sided story’s no matter if they side to my liking or not. if it was 100% true and the other guy has no explanation, (highly doubt it) they the guy is a nut, goes without saying, DON’T believe everything you read online people..thanks.

July 17, 2009 at 10:39 am
(25) Eric says:

I for one AM a Christian, and I’ll say this again like I say about alot of things that happen. The first thing I see here is a person who CLAIMS to be a Christian but doesn’t act like one. A true Christian would not use threats or negative actions to bring someone to Christ.

HOWEVER, as I agree that this doctor acted WRONGLY in firing the woman who rightfully believes as she wishes to believe, I also have to state that you CANNOT judge the entire Christian community on the actions of a few bad people. I don’t just all atheists on the actions of a few bad people, I’ve met some very kind and gentle people who simply don’t believe in God.

I ask that everyone keep an open mind and remember, if you are going to judge at all (as if anyone in this room has feet big enough to start pointing fingers at anyone else), judge the one man, and not “Christians” because of HIS actions. I don’t think he was right in firing the lady, in fact, it’s illegal, and this man should be prosecuted as such. Of course I would scream bloody murder if someone did this to a Christian, but I am screaming bloody murder because this Christian did this to an Atheist. It’s an outrage, and for that, I openly rebuke this man claiming himself to be a “Son of Christ”. He most certainly doesn’t act like it.

Please forgive him for his actions, I know that may be hard to do, or even fathom, but I would do, and have done, the same for anyone in the opposite situation.

-Eric

July 24, 2009 at 6:47 am
(26) Pete says:

@Eric
“A true Christian would not use threats or negative actions to bring someone to Christ.”

This is around us everywhere, and this is exactly what got the Atheist Bust Campaign going
(Full story of how it started here http://www.atheistbus.org.uk/faq/ ), with threats of everlasting damnation in the fires of hell. Threats of eternal suffering bring in more doubters than true Christians, does the church need to be attended by people who only go through fear of their immortal soul?

These threats amount to little more than terrorism, but now we’re seeing employers bullying people into church, or firing them if they don’t. Thankfully this couldn’t occur in the UK.

August 10, 2009 at 2:56 am
(27) Paul says:

As horrible as this story is, and it is horrible seeing as this blatant bigotry is being perpetrated at the cost of this poor woman’s health, I believe if someone owns a business they should be able to hire and fire as they please no matter the reason. Just as I am free to choose not to do business with them because of their bigotry.

August 10, 2009 at 6:34 am
(28) Austin Cline says:

Allowing racists and bigots to behave in this manner only serves to help entrench current bigoted and discriminatory power relationships.

The simple fact is that owning a business comes with restrictions imposed by the community — if you want to open a business to the public, you have to abide by the public’s expectations in how the business is run. One of those restrictions is to not discriminate in certain ways.

If associating with blacks, Hispanics, women, gays, Catholics, or atheists is so horrible that you just can’t bear to have them as employees, then don’t open a business. That way, you can remain free to avoid them in your private life.

August 14, 2009 at 9:17 pm
(29) Angela says:

Unfortunately it seems there are a number of professed Christians that are anything but. I have been stabbed in the back at least 3 times by practising Christians to the point that I am distrustful of them. Give me an atheist any day!
Nothing surprises me in Texas but I would think Federal Law gives Amanda some redress.

November 29, 2009 at 11:25 am
(30) Reverend Jeremiah says:

I have run across this several times in business. When I was an apprentice electrician if i refused to go to my Journeymans church with him I got more crappy work dumped on me than others, thankfully I didnt have to work for the same Journeyman all the time and would wind up getting a more liberal believer as a teacher. I also learned quickly when I went into flipping homes that the ones who spoke of Jesus and blessings and had Christian symbols were usually the first ones to stap you in the back and screw you over. I once broke out a calculator in front of one of them and did the math right in front of him. He was saying I would make a great profit from his deal, I did the math i my head and realized he would take 100% of the profit and dump 100% of his problems on me. He kept saying that he was correct, but when I broke out the calculator and showed him the differences, he didnt argue anything with me because he knew I was correct on all counts. He merely smiled at me and handed me the papers to sign, which I flat out refused.
In some states they have “right to work laws” which basically mean the employer can hire and fore for ANY reason. So if these people want to get a lawsuit going, they need to contact ACLU. The problem is that her husband may very well be fired for his being married to someone who is bringing a lawsuit against a company.
Another thing I thought was this Chiropractor probably did a successful move. I disagree with what he did, but many in Texas do not. In fact look at the benefits he has gained from this:
-Free publicity of his business
-Free publicity of his extremist beliefs that are popular in Texas.
-Saving money on payroll by removing a sick employee.
-Saving money on insurance by firing a sick employee.
- He will more than likely get MORE business now from those “Christian Nationalists” who refuse to do business with anyone who isnt extremist Christian like they are…and from what I hear Texas has quite a few of them.

This article sickens me. I will look into giving to the charity as well.

November 29, 2009 at 11:46 am
(31) Rosita says:

What an arsehole. So much for the myth of Christian charity. This is one of the worst cases of Christian prejudice I have ever heard. Religion at its insidious worst.

December 12, 2009 at 7:29 pm
(32) AtheistsAreUs says:

A bit of clarification on the American Legal system, and why Dr. Dawson cannot be sued for discrimination: individuals have civil rights, including the right to be prejudiced. If Dr. Dawson was running a large corporation or acting as a civil agent (through government or a government funded corporation/school, etc) then he muct comply with federal laws regarding discrimination. He owns and runs a very small office, sounds like Amanda was his only employee, thus, just as if he was renting a room out of his home, he has the right to act discrimatorily. Its ugly and disheartening, and I very much feel for Amanda and her family, but its a fact. The same constitutional rights that grants me the right not to beleive in gods also protects him from hiring and firing anyone he wants for his office. It is his personal right to hire or fire whomever he likes.

December 12, 2009 at 8:24 pm
(33) Austin Cline says:

I hate to break the news to you, but small businesses are forbidden from discriminating on the basis of characteristics like religion, gender, and race. People who rent rooms or apartments are also forbidden from engaging in such discrimination.

That’s almost exactly the opposite of what the actual law on these matters is.

August 2, 2010 at 10:59 am
(34) dave says:

This is why religion has got to go. All of it. Start focusing on fucking science and real shit. DAMN.

November 30, 2012 at 11:08 pm
(35) verde says:

This is absolutely appaling. I cannot understand how some people can be so narrowminded and spiteful despite believing in something that ought to make them accept everyone. At least that’s what they preach, no? I am disgusted by this, it just goes to show that while atheists are accepting of everything and just want their share of free choice, christians are simply evil and I’m sorry to say this, but stupid.