1. Religion & Spirituality

Austin Cline

Atheism Basics: Are Atheists in Denial?

By May 20, 2009

Some people are so sure of the existence of their god that they have trouble imagining that someone else could honestly not feel the same way. Some may also imagine that the existence of evidence for their god is so abundant and so overwhelming that genuine disbelief cannot exist. It may be possible for a person to be confused as to what the 'real' God is, but not that God does exist. Read Article: Are Atheists in Denial? Myths About Atheism: Atheists Know God Exists and are Lying to Themselves
Comments
June 7, 2006 at 11:27 am
(1) Chuck says:

ARE Atheists ARE in Denial? [HUH?]

Austin, who does your proofreading? I think that title has been that way for some time, now…of course,…I could be wrong! “I mean no harm!”
[Kidding!..."and have a nice day!" (insert smiley face?)]

May 20, 2009 at 4:43 pm
(2) The Sojourner says:

By the way, WHICH god are we supposed to be in denial over? Just askin’… Zeus, Shiva, Thor, Odin, how about Poseidon? There’s certainly a lot of choices… Just sayin’. Of course you get the drift. ‘Nuff said.

May 20, 2009 at 6:35 pm
(3) Punktual says:

I think this article neglects to factor in that when making a claim the’burden of proof’ is placed upon the person making the positive claim.

I can create in infinate number of things that ‘might exist’ so it is therefor it is more usefull and logical to assume things do not exist until evidence can be proven otherwise.

A theist can say to me “prove the abrahamic God does not exist” I can simply counter this with “prove to me that any of the hundreds of other gods of other cultures do not exist”

Stephan F. Roberts said :
“I contend that we are both atheists… I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” -

May 20, 2009 at 9:31 pm
(4) Ron says:

Punktual says: (A theist can say to me “prove the “Abrahamic” God does not exist.) That’s an easy one. Simply point to the evidence for evolution, and the “Abrahamic” God is blown completely out of the water. The theist who denies this is in a state of denial. It is that simple! Now, as to how the original seed of life got planted on earth 5 billion years ago? That is another matter. The only thing that humankind can do is postulate. Does anyone wonder why I claim to be agnostic?

May 21, 2009 at 12:10 am
(5) Punktual says:

That is of course another way, however I find the ‘prove other religions dont exist’ a method that is easier for the religiously inclined to get thier heads around.

As for how life started (allthough it’s a bit off topic) you might want to read this:

RNA Created in lab.

May 21, 2009 at 9:32 pm
(6) Ron says:

Punktual
Thank you for the link. So, here is what must have happened. At some time in our future we invent a time-travel machine. We then travel back in time to plant the RNA, and here we are!