1. Religion & Spirituality

Austin Cline

Austin's Atheism Blog

By

Bible Commentary: Disobedience and the Bible: What does the Old Testament Say about Disobedience?

Tuesday October 2, 2007
God's focus upon obedience was certainly not limited to children following the commands of parents. This god handed down a lot of laws - some of which even today appear reasonable and others which, as we have seen, are beyond any modern merits. So what was this god's policy towards those who might question or even disobey his commands? What happens to someone who thinks that maybe women, children, and even strangers should be treated a bit better than this particular god decrees?

Read Article: Disobedience and the Bible: What does the Old Testament Say about Disobedience?

Comments
October 2, 2007 at 3:55 pm
(1) tracieh says:

My favorite apologetic response is: “But that’s the Old Testament.”

It’s as if it never happened and none of the people who suffered as a result of any of that matter. Yes, a lot of people were stoned at the city gates…but that was THEN. Whatever my god did back then gets a pass. I’m sure he had to do it–and that they deserved what they got (for crimes like wearing mixed fibers in their clothing, eating shellfish, or not screaming loud enough to attract help if you’re being raped).

Killing people for wearing poly-cotton is not a good thing to do. Eating clams isn’t a sin. And if a woman is raped, she shouldn’t be stoned to death for not screaming (with a knife likely at her throat). My favorite horrendous old law is making the raped girl marry her rapist. I bet that’ll teach him a lesson! Can you imagine trying to make that law today? “Hey, how about if when a virgin is raped, we make the rapist marry her as punishment instead of jail time?”

Deuteronomy 22:28-29

October 5, 2007 at 8:11 pm
(2) John Hanks says:

The New Testament is just as bad. It just uses more false hope.

October 8, 2009 at 8:22 pm
(3) ApostolicTexan says:

Excuse me? If there wasn’t a God, there wouldn’t be one for you not to beleive in!

October 8, 2009 at 8:41 pm
(4) Austin Cline says:

I don’t believe Bigfoot exists.

But if Bigfoot didn’t exist, there would be not Bigfoot for me not to believe in.

Therefore, Bigfoot exists!

Yeah, that’s about the quality of reasoning necessary to believe in your god, right?

October 9, 2009 at 5:45 pm
(5) AT says:

Big foot is just a hairy ape that talks like a cave man. Duh he doesn’t exist. I’ll pray for you that Jesus turns your life around!

December 1, 2009 at 12:40 pm
(6) hazel says:

Deuteronomy 22:27-28 lets us know if a man have sex with a virgin not rape her. He is required to marry her but if he violate her rights which is what happen to Tamar king David’s daughter, he didn’t want her neither wanted to marry her. Kind David didn’t do anything about this and his other son had him the rapest killed and by taking things into his hands Absalom was also killed after rebelling against his father David. Due to this actions people would have their own man and woman. Why violate someone life if you aren’t planning on being there for them.