1. Religion & Spirituality

Austin Cline

Daily Poll: Religious Monuments in Public Areas

By September 14, 2006

Many people fight to have religious monuments installed in public areas, like parks and court houses. All these monuments are, coincidentally, Christian in nature - there's no outcry for Muslim or Hindu monuments. Do you think that these monuments should exist and, if so, should they only be Christian?

Christian & Religious Privilege:

Mt. Soledad Cross
Image Source:
Wikipedia

Ten Commandments:

Comments
sparky(1)

If people are so dead set on having publicly visible religious monuments, let them set the things up on the grounds of houses of worship. That way they’ll have a public witness that no one can touch, and the rest of us won’t be paying for it.

I’m a Christian of a decidedly liberal stripe. I suspect I might not object so violently to religious displays on public property if I didn’t know—or disagree so vehemently with—the twisted theology and blatant political agenda of the perps. But the Religious Right wingnuts give all of us Christians a bad name!

September 20, 2006 at 4:46 pm
GrandmaVickie(2)

People are free to display religiousmonuments or symbols. They can display them on their lawns, on church property, on the bumpers of their cars, on jewelry on T-shirt etc. Goverment agencies cannot display them on government property. There is a difference. As far as being publicly visible, churches are visible, T-shirts are visible, lawns are visible. Not good enough?

September 22, 2006 at 3:23 pm
Ricardo(3)

Between GrandmaVickie and Sparky, there is no doubt which has the better ability to think: Grandma. Sparky is emotional without a thought to support his emotion. Granny sticks to the facts.

What would be nice would be to get all churches off the “free” list of all taxes: property, income, etc. This is something the Fairtax.com would do. They all would be happy.

September 22, 2006 at 3:55 pm
JayFTL(4)

It’s clear to me that Sparky’s post states that he opposes religious displays on public property and that such displays would be better off on church grounds. I’m puzzled as to how GrandmaVickie and Ricardo came to think otherwise. Perhaps they saw “I’m a Christian” in Sparky’s post and jumped to their own conclusions.

September 24, 2006 at 9:57 am

Was Grandma even responding to Sparky? Her post makes sense as simply a response to the poll question & issue.

I think that Sparky’s comment is quite right and appropriate. I wish that more Christians thought like Sparky.

September 24, 2006 at 10:23 am
sparky(6)

First: sparky is a she. =grin=

Second: Yes, I am passionate about the issue, and that passion shows. But that doesn’t mean I haven’t thought long and hard about the issue. In fact, I’ve had to think about it, since quite a few times I’ve found myself having to defend my views in arguments with fellow Christians.

If there’s anything “emotional” in my post, it’s that I find the Religious Right, with its bad theology, bad politics, and underhanded tactics, truly terrifying. Those people are dangerous. And they do give Christians a bad name.

It seems to me that Grandma Vickie and I said pretty much the same thing, just in different words. I certainly don’t think she was arguing with me.

Peace, folks.