1. Religion & Spirituality

Austin Cline

Divorce in the Philippines?

By May 23, 2005

Divorce is illegal in the Philippines and the Catholic church would like to see it remain that way, but many citizens appear to be tired of Catholic prelates assuming the authority to dictate civil laws. Thus, a bill that would legalize divorce is moving through the government.

World Wide Religious News reports:

The country's influential Catholic Church had thwarted all previous attempts, but the women pushing for this latest divorce legislation say prospects of it being accepted are better this time. ... Under the Philippines Family Code, only annulment restores a married couple to single status, allowing each to remarry.

But that entails proving in court that a marriage is void to begin with because of a pre-existing condition - physical or psychological - that makes one incapable of performing essential marital obligations. In other words, marriages that were valid at the start only to break down later technically do not qualify for annulment.

Josephine Nueno said: "Even when women are beaten and abused, we can't leave because we can't divorce!"

If this bill succeeds — and it will take a while — that would leave Malta as the only nation without legal divorce. At least, that's what the report says — somehow I doubt that the Vatican has divorce laws and the last time I looked, they qualified as a nation despite being so small.

It's interesting that the Catholic church would oppose the legalization of divorce. Do they sincerely think that non-Catholics in the Philippines should be bound by Catholic doctrine? Perhaps American Catholics should ask their priests what they think about it — are the Catholic leaders in the Philippines wrong or not? Would the Catholic church support making divorce illegal in other places, like America?

Read More:

Comments
June 3, 2006 at 9:11 am
(1) zoleta marano says:

legalization of divorce in the philippines will help a lot of women who already suffers for a long time. im one of them. thank you so much for Rep. Liza Maza

February 21, 2011 at 2:23 am
(2) christie says:

hmmh.. can u give me any explanation that divorce is illegalize in the philippines?

September 14, 2011 at 7:22 am
(3) marie says:

yeah. divorce is really needed. kawawa naman ung napakaraming battered wives…

July 18, 2006 at 3:15 am
(4) J says:

religion and politics…two deadly combinations

January 21, 2008 at 2:38 pm
(5) anon says:

Divorce is legal for Philippine Muslims they fall under Islamic Family Law

July 19, 2011 at 7:18 am
(6) Therese says:

They made It Legal just as A Sign Of Respect Of The Muslim Culture and religion Who Are In phils.

July 24, 2011 at 6:50 am
(7) philip says:

Islamic Family Law!!!!!!!!. that can not be. the Philippines has 1 law for all the peoples.

September 1, 2011 at 12:14 am
(8) asniah says:

yes.we have our own law it is sharia law. coz we always follow the law of quran.

March 13, 2008 at 4:56 am
(9) Manny Aquino says:

It is ironic that the Roman Catholic prelates have a say in marriage, a practise which they abhor and do not practise. What do they really know about marriage? Are they in any position to have a say in the matter? Hypocrites!

July 8, 2011 at 6:05 pm
(10) john says:

It is ironic that Doctors in the Hospital have say about Cancer when they are not even a cancer or survivors of that desease!

what do a Doctor knows about cancer when they are not even a cancer patiet themselves? how can can doctors advice a cancer patient about cancer if they themsleves are not cancer patient or survivors?

Are they in any position to have a say in the matter? you accuse the Church of saying something about marriage. Think of this thing too!

Tell me, Jesus is not married. did not even practice it- why do he say something about it?

August 22, 2011 at 3:58 am
(11) pilosopo says:

your argument is stupid. physicians undergo rigorous trainingSSSSSSSSSSS in order for them to be considered experts in their own fields. that’s why we have specialists (Oncologists) in cancer detection and management. the problem about mainstream “Pinoy” health care is, patients almost, mostly totally, do not have a say on their medical management. it is always the say of the relatives and the attending physician that matters. for you to generalize that “they in any position to have a say in the matter” is insulting to other nations who exercise Health Care delivery ideally. for you to generalize that “they are not even a cancer patiet themselves” is insulting to the millions of physicians and health care providers who are also victims of the disease. if you’re going to prove a point, polish it. and please hire an english critic, your grammar disgusts me. you just wasted your readers’ neurons you TROLL.

August 10, 2011 at 6:17 am
(12) faye says:

You know what sir? Your more hypocrite than the catholic church. The aim of divorce is too selfish. In the first place, before getting in to a married life, THINK FIRST! It is an individuals fault after all. That is why we need to practice the natural way of being in a relationship. What I mean is that “ligaw” should not be disregarded, and before saying “yes” to wedding proposals, THINK a hundred times of the consequences. I am just 16 years old. And I see this bill as a way of breaking the sanctity of marriage. If divorce would be implemented, look at how the other countries culture! So liberated, and they experience MORE abusive acts from their spouses. I am afraid that one day in my married life, my husband would just dump me in anytime he want. Because a LAW EXISTS! allowing him to remarry again and that is IMMORAL. Now tell me sir. who is more hypocrite? we should not let ourselves be trapped in a box with wrong beliefs. I am a woman, and I want to experience a happy Life. DIVORCE is not the solution. Married life is not easy to handle, but its part of it. that is the challenge of it! DEAL WITH IT! NO TO DIVORCE

August 11, 2011 at 8:59 am
(13) Eduard Osler :D says:

very well said faye.. may you can handle problems of a married life someday and not to think of a divorce that you once Loathed.

August 20, 2011 at 8:18 am
(14) Audie says:

Do you think faye you knew everything..Just like what happened to me..I was deceived for a long time( d ko na eelaborate)..My marriage is null n void..My ex keep it a secret for a long time.Now i am suffering, my case took time before i will be having my freedom.What will you do if your stepping on my shoes?

August 26, 2011 at 3:44 pm
(15) Mike says:

Faye! Your 16! What the hell do you know about life? I mean like WHAT DO YOU KNOW? Really….. Your 16, and inexperience. Probably has no REAL responsibility just yet.

It’s nice to know that we have young thinkers like you. But, one day you will understand. Why Divorce should be allowed in the Philippines. The so called “Sanctity of marriage” died a long, long time ago. Where is the “Sanctity of marriage” if you are separated from your spouse, or living with another guy/girl? Divorce with not kill the sanctity of marriage. Because it is already dead.

Everyone should have the right of choice. The right to be happy. The right to say “enough is enough”. The right to LIVE LIFE!

Philippines needs to stop living in the “Dark Ages” where the Church runs the country. (Churches opinion is too involved)

Oh yea. One more thing. Jesus never existed. The whole story of the “Virgin Birth” “Teaching in the temple” “Healing the sick” “Raising the dead”. Those stories has been around the Mediterranean for 2,000 years, before Jesus was supposedly was born.

September 13, 2011 at 9:25 am
(16) nathz says:

i’m glad we are in the same side…
for me… as a 17 y/o education major…
marriage is not like buying a product…
that you will return to the factory when you found out that it has defects hidden…

and basically… DIVORCE is UNCONSTITUTIONAL…

Article XV

Section 1. The State recognizes the Filipino family as the foundation of the nation. Accordingly, it shall strengthen its solidarity and actively promote its total development.
Section 2. Marriage, as an inviolable social institution, is the foundation of the family and shall be protected by the State.

July 12, 2008 at 6:46 pm
(17) i want to marry says:

im from the uk and i met some 1 from the philippines but she is married and her husband lives some where else with his new family! i want to marry her and she wants me how go we go about doing this? please help
thanx mike

September 22, 2010 at 4:47 am
(18) ruby says:

i think you tell to your partner she can apply first in the court for the annulment because of her valid reason…

February 18, 2011 at 11:18 pm
(19) secret love says:

if they married here in the philippines it is possible dat they will do their annulment in california? plz. help

July 22, 2008 at 11:35 pm
(20) bongga ka says:

i think divorce should be legalized in the philippines and i also agree that the church is to hypocrites to cbject divorcion cause they dont know what women really feels when they suffer from their marriage!!!

August 30, 2008 at 9:34 pm
(21) rosemahanie says:

i am married in Philllipines for ten years. Recently i converted and married with a muslim women in Malaysia. My question is what will be happen if my wife discover my second marriage? What should i do?

September 28, 2010 at 9:24 am
(22) anonymous.0728 says:

You shouldn’t have done that! You’ll break her heart when she finds out! :( She will most likely file a divorce and leave you.

September 16, 2008 at 9:35 pm
(23) divine gee calma says:

I DO AGREE WITH YOUR OPINION MANNY AQUINO……

October 10, 2008 at 12:39 pm
(24) Babegirl04 says:

hurray to Rep. Liza Maza! i think it’s time for our leaders to provide it’s people a way out of failed marriages. at least give us women (or men) who can’t afford an annulment a chance to move on and start our own life without the burden of being shackled to husbands (or wives) who took us for granted and haven’t been faithful to our marriage vows albeit being given all the chance in the world to do so!!!!

November 6, 2008 at 8:14 pm
(25) Singlesoon says:

The Philippine Catholic church should not dictate any family decision any person should make. Can they do anything to a wife being beaten daily by a drunk husband, and God forbid, get murdered by the drunk husband? These women’s blood is in the Catholic Priest’s hands. I feel for all the women in the Philippines that are victims of such brutality. What hope do these women have to rebuild their lives and have normal/legal relationships. Not moving on with the Divorce in the Philippines is an Injustice to us all women who are obviously classified as second class citizens.

November 26, 2008 at 8:50 pm
(26) Rory says:

I recently listened to a late night radio show where people were phoning in and asking for legal advice. Most of the people were women, asking if they could remarry. One woman, who sounded as old as my mother, said “My husband disappeared 20 years ago, and my children and I have never heard from him again. I have a man who cares for me very much, and I’d like to know, can we get married?”

“No, because you are not a widow and you are still married to your husband.”

There was a case recently where a husband had abandoned his wife, and she fell in love later on with an Australian. When the husband found out, he sued the wife for adultery. After having abandoned her for years, he still has the right to dictate her life?! This is insane.

And because of there being no divorce in the Philippines, or recognition of divorce obtained by Filipinos, I cannot divorce my husband, who I also have not seen in years, and move on with my life!

July 8, 2011 at 2:58 am
(27) marie kaisy says:

i agreed with you ,, those kind of man is purely stupid !! i had the same fate like that woman right now ,,, there should be freedom for women like us ….

man is not always the right one to do what he wants ,,,, we are all human .. and have equal rights as well ..

February 20, 2009 at 4:26 am
(28) ugly says:

im stil confused about my condition now with my boyfriend couse he have xwife and doughter. he is catholic and i am moslem. please give the solve about law of that cause i dont know how we can get married.

Tks,
im waiting

February 21, 2009 at 10:15 am
(29) anne says:

hi…

hope you can help my problem… my bf had a xwife as he said, we cannot get married for now because he did not yet done to cancel their marriage…..i can’t understand…what does mean. as he said the case is done. my bf is foreigner and his xwife is filipina as me.please advice thanks a lot.

anne

June 22, 2011 at 10:24 am
(30) renalyn says:

i think anne the best way that u could do is to ask God for help coz He knows better bout your problem…

October 7, 2011 at 4:00 am
(31) Dha-dha says:

Yes, that’s really true. Pray to God so that you will be enlighten anne.

March 3, 2009 at 8:01 am
(32) Jane says:

I am one of those married woman who wants to get out of this kind of situation. Divorce should be legalize in the philippines. Woman has the right to be happy and start a new life.

July 29, 2011 at 5:10 am
(33) Chelralinn says:

‘if divorce will be legalized here in phililipines,then what’s the use of marriage? 8s just like a waste if divorce will be really granted here.Besides,there is an annulment if the marriage doesn’t really work.

March 3, 2009 at 6:25 pm
(34) polv says:

why this process is so long and why if 2 people dont want to be together anymore, is not so easy to get the anullment or divorce or whatever … so they can get new life with the person they are in love!!!

March 10, 2009 at 4:28 pm
(35) lina says:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Good day! I am one of the Filipinos waiting for the result of the DIVORCE IN THE PHILIPPINES FROM THE SENATE.¨ I was very angry and sad knowing that there were 2(sorry not sure), opposes of Divorce.

Like me, I am now in Spain and been out in HK for more than 10 yrs., supported my children of 6 because of my irresponsible husband and only money he wanted from me. I was bitten if I am at home and no money to give.

Many reasons that I wanted to get out of our marriage, thou my eldest is more than 30 and 26 is the youngest.

I am fed up of many years since we got married being a father and a mother of my children and he is just a responsible free.

I asked one of the Filipino priest here in Spain.. that now.. the church is authorized to ANNUL the marriage if the latter will be proven of being unfaithful, with woman diseases and/or other grounds that will strong support of the ANNULMENT.

Sad to say, guys is willing to love me, IF..IF.. I am already divorced!

Filipino couples really have no chance to be happy and find a new life and happiness thou, one or the other is unfair?

I really can not remember the name of the Senator.. he is an actor who was also lost..

The OFW´s are asking for the divorce mostly because we the OFW´s knows whats difficulties we have with our partners.. only receiving money and spend. no care for how we earned and labor we have in foreign land.

If someone that has a courage to write the President of the Senate to come up again on the issue of DIVORCE.

I we all here, to support that person.

Thank you and God bless us!

lina

July 8, 2011 at 3:06 am
(36) marie kaisy says:

i am also hoping that this matter will grant us to get a divorce ,,,, i wil pray for all of us ,,,

March 10, 2009 at 5:04 pm
(37) sweetlady0051 says:

To my fellows asking for DIVORCE OR ANNULMENT OF MARRIAGE.

Sharing to you the COPY AND PASTED ARTICLES IN THE OTHER SITE. HOPE CAN HELP US FOR OUR PROBLEM OF MARRIAGE!! GOD BLESS!

Philippine e-Legal Forum
Philippine laws and legal system (JLP-Law blog)

Home JLP-Law Main E-mail Us About this Blawg Terms Contributors Register
——————————————————————————–

——————————————————————————–
« Employers’ duty under the Anti-Sexual Harassment ActPhilippine Constitution (1987) »
——————————————————————————–

Steps and Procedure in Annulment and Declaration of Nullity of Marriage
Published by Atty. Fred September 30th, 2006 in Annulment and Legal Separation and Litigation and Labor Law.
You thought you’ve found your perfect match. You thought your marriage is bound to last forever, or, at the very least, until the last breath. You’ve thought wrong, you say, and you now think of seeking legal remedy to end your marriage. Here are “steps” or suggestions in deciding whether to step out of the ring or not:

1. Make sure it is the last resort. As stated in a previous post, love and marriage are supposed to be forever. Try all options, like counseling, to make it work. If there’s no progress, weigh your options. On the other side of the scale is the reality that getting into another relationship or marriage, while the first marital bond is still existing, is a sure way of courting criminal liability (adultery, concubinage, bigamy). A subsequent petition for declaration of nullity/annulment of marriage is not a defense in the criminal action.

2. Realize that it will cost you. Getting out of marriage is sometimes more expensive than getting into one. Expenses include the fees for your lawyer or counsel, filing fees, professional fees for the psychiatrist or psychologist (if the ground is psychological incapacity), etc.

3. Discuss the custody of children, visitation rights, property arrangements and support. Custody over children and separation of properties in annulment are among the most bitter issues in annulment. As much as possible, discuss and agree on these matters beforehand.

4. Make sure to invoke a valid ground. Marriage is an inviolable social institution and any doubt is resolved in its favor. Hence, make sure there’s sufficient basis to go through the procedure discussed below.

The procedure provided under the Rules on Declaration of Absolute Nullity of Void Marriages and Annulment of Voidable Marriages is discussed below. Please note that a petition for “annulment” refers to voidable marriages, which are valid until annulled by the court, while a petition for “declaration of nullity” refers to marriages that are considered void or inexistent from the very beginning. There are other differences (e.g., legitimate status of children, property relations between the spouses, prescription and ratification), but let’s leave those for another day. For convenience, we shall refer to both petitions as “annulment”.

1. Preparation and filing of the petition. The petition may be filed, at the option of the spouse who filed it (called the “petitioner”), in the Family Court of the province or city where the petitioner or the other spouse (called the “respondent”) resides for the last 6 months prior to the date of filing, or in the case of a non-resident respondent, 7where he/she may be found in the Philippines. An Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) may file the petition even while abroad. Incidentally, upon filing of the petition or anytime thereafter, the court may issue provisional and protective orders.

2. Service of Summons. In simplest terms, this is giving notice to the respondent. Where the respondent cannot be located at the given address or the whereabouts are unknown and cannot be ascertained by diligent inquiry, service of summons may be done by publication. This is crucial because the court cannot validly proceed without service of summons.

3. Answer. The respondent must answer within 15 days from service of summons (or within 30 days from the last issue of publication in case of service of summons by publication). Unlike in civil cases, the respondent in annulment proceedings is not declared in default if no answer is filed, but the public prosecutor shall be ordered to investigate whether collusion exists between the parties.

4. Investigation report of public prosecutor. The public prosecutor prepares a report on whether there is collusion between the parties. If the court is convinced that collusion exists, it shall dismiss the petition; otherwise, the court shall set the case for pre-trial conference. The Rules dispensed with the requirement, as provided in Molina, that the Solicitor General issue a certification stating his reasons for his agreement or opposition to the petition.

5. Pre-trial conference. During the mandatory pre-trial conference, the court and the parties deal with certain matters, such as stipulation of facts, for the purpose of expediting the proceedings. The petition may be dismissed if the petitioner fails to appear during pre-trial. At this stage, the court may also refer the issues to a mediator who shall assist the parties in reaching an agreement on matters not prohibited by law (no compromise allowed in civil status of persons, validity of marriage or of legal separation, grounds for legal separation, jurisdiction of courts, and future support and legitime). The court may also require a social worker to conduct a case study and submit a report at least 3 days before the pre-trial conference, or at any stage of the case whenever necessary.

6. Trial. This is the stage where the ground for annulment is proved and opposed. The court may order the exclusion from the courtroom of all persons, including members of the press, who do not have a direct interest in the case.

7. Decision. After the trial proper, the court renders its decision, which is different from the Decree of annulment. A decision, whether granting or dismissing the petition, becomes final upon the expiration of 15 days from notice to the parties.

8. Appeal. The aggrieved party or the Solicitor General may appeal from the decision within 15 days from notice of denial of the motion for reconsideration or new trial.

9. Liquidation, partition and distribution, custody, support of common children and delivery of their presumptive legitimes. These are done upon entry of the judgment granting the petition.

10. Issuance of Decree of annulment. The court issues the Decree after: (i) registration of the entry of judgment granting the annulment in the Civil Registry where the marriage was celebrated and in the Civil Registry of the place where the court is located; (ii) registration of the approved partition and distribution of the properties of the spouses in the proper Register of Deeds where the real properties are located; and (iii) delivery of the children’s presumptive legitimes in cash, property, or sound securities.

11. Registration of the Decree. The Decree must be registered in the Civil Registry where the marriage was registered, the Civil Registry of the place where the court is situated, and in the National Census and Statistics Office.

SOME MORE.. NEXT PAGE..

March 24, 2009 at 2:42 am
(38) chabbies says:

its good when you know that one day you’ll end up your worries about your husband that is not good for you,abandon u and never become a responsible man to u..annulment is the only way…

March 30, 2009 at 9:20 pm
(39) Farkas says:

Does anyone know how much the whole annulement process would cost? Couldnt find anything about it in here. I`ve heard it would cost around 300 000 pesos,but to me that sounds like something most filipinos could never afford

April 21, 2009 at 4:57 am
(40) ponoiboi says:

Divorce will not only help women, it will also help a lot of MEN! PLS Help me!

May 11, 2009 at 3:54 am
(41) ARL (Communication student of Ateneo de Naga) says:

Marriage is a sacred life and there are more things to be considered before engaging on that serious status. So, it is the obligation of everyone to know deeper his/her partner before saying “yes” into marriage. So, whatever happens.. It is the fault of the individual and he/she must take the risk. If we will implement “divorce” in the Philippines, our Christianity will be degraded and more partners will not take marriage “seriously”. Because somehow, they know.. after a big fight.. they can leave their obligation.

June 19, 2009 at 5:29 pm
(42) lina says:

Hi guys!

Yes, we know the responsibility of having a marriage. But why still asking of divorce? Having a divorce will mean that,, both couple will respect, adjust to each other and being responsible of being a husband/wife. If you really do not want a DIVORCE,, you will stay both in a compatible situation, because you are aware of having a DIVORCE.
Yes, as I have research from the internet.. A FILIPINO BEING A FOREIGN CITIZEN, CAN FILE A DIVORCE.. TAKE NOTE.. DO NOT GET A DUAL CITIZEN, BECAUSE YOU WILL STILL BE A FILIPINO CITIZEN AND THAT FILIPINO IS NEVER ALLOWED TO HAVE A DIVORCE! DIVORCE WILL TAKE BETWEEN 1 YR. AND 6 MONTHS. BUT PAYING FOR 300,000 PESOS IS A MILLIONAIRES PRICE..CANVASS OR RESEARCH FOR THE PRICE. FILE A DIVORCE WHERE YOU ARE,, IN A FOREIGN LAND. THE PARTY WILL ONLY SIGN AND YOU WILL PROCESS IN THE COUNTRY YOU ARE IN. HAVE A LAWYER WHERE YOU ARE IN A FOREIGN LAND. IT WILL WORK EASILY AND CHEAPER. TRY.. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US. GOD BLESS!

LINA

July 29, 2009 at 8:31 pm
(43) annelie says:

i think the phil. should implement the divorce law.. one said that, if they implemented it, no one would take seriously and our Christianity will be degraded.

in my own opinion, there are many “married” couple who are separated from each other and one of them is committing adultery. and not every married couple were married in church. many were by the law. i mean if the couples were separated from each other and they both have relationship from other person. does this not degrade more our Christianity? so i guess divorce law should be implemented. :)

my opinion only

November 19, 2009 at 9:55 pm
(44) Mike J says:

Once again the Catholic heirarchy have ignored their own book- the bible- where Christ Jesus himself confirmed the provision of divorce as being allowable- if only on the grounds of adultery- Matt. 5:31,32; Matt. 19:3-9
No mucking around or “Pontificating” based on distortions of clear biblical text. Divorce is an unpleasant thing, but some provision must be made to let people get on with their lives.
Mike, NZ.

November 25, 2009 at 11:08 pm
(45) karl says:

Think about this.What will happen when after the implementation of the divorce? (They will leave their obligation

December 5, 2009 at 7:52 pm
(46) Orietta says:

I’m from Venezuela and i want to marry a filipino who is already married and want to file the annulment, after he do that, is it legal for him to marry me there in philippines? (we’ll live there)

January 15, 2010 at 2:16 am
(47) cute:) says:

divorce should be legalized..based on the bible,you can divorce your spouse if he/she committed adultery/fornication..it has emotional bearing to the aggravated party and he/she can decide whether to stay/leave the marriage..the law of the land should not contradict the law of god..divorce is a god given option!

“Christians should not condemn divorce just as god and jesus are not condemning it. This can be confirmed by Jesus’ words: “Whoever divorces his wife, except on the ground of fornication, and marries another commits adultery.” (Matthew 19:9) Jesus acknowledged that fornication is an acceptable ground for a Scriptural divorce—indeed, the only acceptable ground that allows for remarriage. An innocent spouse might decide to forgive the erring marriage mate. However, a person who chooses to use Jesus’ statement as a basis for divorcing an adulterous mate is not doing something that Jehovah hates. It is the unfaithful spouse’s deceitful conduct that is hated by God.”

January 17, 2010 at 1:04 pm
(48) riz says:

what kind of human are you!! i dont agree with this.. marriage should not have expiration!!it will only cost a mess. you should think about it before you get married and dont think for any separation!!

January 25, 2010 at 12:06 am
(49) clara says:

HI there, i want to know some advices, I have a bf now and we live together for 2yrs now. He is married to her ex-wife and they are 20yrs seperated already and her exwife who is US citizen already and filed a divorced in US and sent to him. He got a copy of approval of their divorced in US but they are married in the phil. Can we get married now since my partner been seperated for 20yrs already?

hope to hear some advz
tnx

January 28, 2010 at 5:02 pm
(50) mad world says:

well people around the world.. Marriage yes is a god blessed issue.. But what if heaven did not bless you? ‘m from singapore and I have a gal from manila.. But she’s still stuck with her old marriage even though at this moment she’s still filing for annulment.
In fact political issue should not be interfere by religious means. Tats human rights.

January 29, 2010 at 4:54 am
(51) aina says:

Why Philippines can’t legalize the”DIVORCE” A lot of people are suffered because of this, this is unfair,why we need to suffer in our whole life if our marriage is not successful,as a human we have a right to be happy,i can’t understand our catholic church WHY DON’T THEY OPEN their MIND AND EYES,a lot of couples are broke their family its because they are not happy and they are meant to each other,why Philippines government not allow us to be happy..only rich people in Philippines can afford the Annulment,How about the OFW,they work so hard to earn this money and they will spend co’z of annulment NO…NO…im very frustrated because of the Philippines law..

February 26, 2010 at 5:56 am
(52) propivorce says:

Our church leaders should start accepting the fact that divorce would create more happy lives and discourage more adulterous relationships and they should stop being so hypocrite about country’s morality.

In the ancient times, marriage was very important for womens’ welfare as they are restricted to stay at home and get no education so they don’t have the chance to get a career and survive outside marriage. But nowadays, men and women are equal in all opportunity hence women of current times would survive if not surpass what men can do.

We are so naive to say that all relationship are amenable and can be fixed. The reason why Philippines and Malta are the only two countries that don’t have divorce law out of 190 is because they have adapted to change and the effect to the whole nation isn’t bad if not improved the lives of its citizens as they have happier lives and happy citizens means happy economy.

The idea of having an unbreakable relationship gives too much security generally to the husband that leads to abuse of his wife. I believe that this is the primary reason why there are so many cases of battered wives in the Philippines as husbands are consiously or unconsiously know that their wife is stuck to him FOREVER. If they know that their spouse can leave them for good without too much hardship then abuse in most probability would not happen.

It’s time for the country to move on and stop being so hypocrite about it. Italy, Spain and Israel which are the source of the country’s main religion has divorce law, how come Philippines doesn’t??? Are the Filipinos that smart and religious that we have thought of something that they and the rest of the hundred more countries didn’t consider or are we that stupid???

Our church leaders might argue that the way to wickedness is easy and the way to rightneousness is difficult, is really God that unreasonable and has a child like mind that he would let the other 190 or so countries with billions of population to burn in hell for one single factor ie. having divorce??? Come on, your insulting God’s intelligence!

December 10, 2011 at 5:50 am
(53) hazel says:

i agree with you i am pro divorce too. i want divorce!!!

March 13, 2010 at 1:12 am
(54) bicolraider (T. Morada) says:

divorce for me is a very complicated thing, some people want it when relationship didn’t work well, to deny it to a person who suffer a lot of pain is to let that person live in hell, and one more thing, to deny it is to a deny a person to start a new life and to move on, to grant divorce may send a wrong signal to the society, they may enter a relationship without a foundation which is love, they might enter a relationship without thinking twice or thinking it carefully because they can end that relationship anytime they want. this thing can create a mess, a lot of trial and error relationship.for me divorce is like a cure to an illness that can be avoided, people should not marry if they are not sure of themselves.people should marry with a right reason, they must be tied by love…if love is the foundation of every relationship divorce has no bearing to it.

March 14, 2010 at 2:32 am
(55) alkhea says:

..divorce should be legalized cause lots of Filipino women suffered from their husband they are abused but then they cant live there husband cause divorce is not accepted in our country Philippines..

April 2, 2010 at 8:46 am
(56) Homer says:

i agree with divorce..the catholic church is controlling every peoples mind in our country and it shouldn’t suppose to be like that..if they care then they must do something but since they’re not doing something about the problem here in our country then i guess they should shut-up and let it be since we all got our own will.

April 15, 2010 at 11:02 am
(57) jennie says:

@ (28) riz: it’s not healthy to stay in an unhealthy marriage, so how dare you say “STAY MARRIED” to someone when you don’t even know half of what these people who want divorce legalized are going through.

what about those poor individuals who are suffering in the hands of their abusive partners just because they couldn’t leave a very abnormal relationship?

oh, yeah, “till DEATH do us part” nga pala tayo dito sa pinas!

yes, marriage is a blessed thing, but if you are living with a partner who abuses you, THAT is no longer “blessed.” furthermore, people always change, and through the course of time, some of them might’ve changed into the monsters that they are today, and their partners had no inkling of them turning into a mr. hyde before they got married. is it fair to tell them to stay married with the monster?

you might be happy with your partner, but there are A LOT of people who desperately want out, for fear of their safety and of their mental, physical, and emotional health.

so, yes, i think that the option of divorce should be given to them if that will make them regain their dignity and self-worth back, and if divorce could give it to them, then i say yes to legalizing divorce in the philippines.

June 22, 2010 at 8:31 pm
(58) jasmine says:

the catholic church is against divorce but what happens if your marriage was solemnized by a protestant church pastor?

August 4, 2010 at 9:28 am
(59) unknown says:

other countries in where we have addopt our religion have also divorce…
why can’t we have??

August 10, 2010 at 10:10 pm
(60) cherryblossom says:

Divorce should be legalized in favor to all men/women who were just forced to marry someone, blackmailed or under fixed marriage that didn’t even work out due to some reasons.

August 14, 2010 at 5:11 am
(61) gloria duran says:

I am so upset with the Catholic church because its against divorce. My marriage has been null and void from the start cos the curch issued a baptismal to my husband using a false name. Now that I filed for annulment cos of such ground(false name) it has been a year, still I have to wait for the decision.

August 18, 2010 at 7:09 am
(62) rica sy says:

divorce should be legalized in the philippines.. esp for marriage that are suffering.. and the couple just end up committing adultery because divorce is not allowed.. Philippines is not the only country that has Catholic priests.. so does this shows that all the other Catholic priests are wrong and only here in the Philippines that the priests are correct?????

August 18, 2010 at 8:59 am
(63) unknown09 says:

rosemahanie i think your wife would probably kill you.. hehehe.. kidding aside.. i guess you’ll wife would be angry of you, or happy if she doesn’t love you. she can file a case on you. i guess it’s bigamy if i’m wrong then i’m right..^^,

September 5, 2010 at 5:54 am
(64) bport says:

the Philippine catholic church is trying to control the marital union rights of the Filipinos!
why not try to give consideration to those who are not catholic but still suffer on deadly marriage just because of being a Filipino! see it?

September 8, 2010 at 11:41 am
(65) anita says:

QUESTION: my fiancee was married in Guam to a filipina.. Then had a divorce in Guam.. His filipina ex wife is now asking for a certified true hard copy of the final divorce decree to change her status from married to single… IS THE HARD COPY OF THE FINAL DECREE IMPORTANT OR REALLY NEEDED TO GET A STATUS CHANGE?.. i really need an answer… thank you…

October 7, 2010 at 4:59 pm
(66) karen says:

hi im married in philippines but already 3 years imm here in abroad ,my israeli bf and i got married in cyprus ,
i tlk to my husband in philippines to file divorece but ther is no divorce in philippines
what should we do,,
by the way we are married in civil wedding
pls help me ,

October 18, 2010 at 6:17 am
(67) henry says:

true religion allow divorce.

the bible supports that viewpoint.
at Matthew 19:1 Jesus states:
“I say to YOU that whoever divorces his wife, except on the ground of fornication, and marries another commits adultery”.

it is clear then that the innocent whose mate is adulterer, he or she can divorse his/her mate and marry a good mate for him/her if he/she chooses to.

November 22, 2010 at 8:48 am
(68) rose says:

i suffured a lot because of my annulment that already took 26months,my husband already remarried another girl under our first married, i want to move on,i still have 2 kids to raise in w/c my husband abandoned us. how i want divorce here in ph so other people can eassily move on their lives. i knew a lot of single mother like me mess up their lives bacause of unsuccessful marriages. Can anybody propose a bill of a force seminar of understanding married before having a ceremony? in my case, we just simply go to city hall and get married w/o any requirements but just pay a person who conduct the married ceremony and they asked me to sign another witness name…So sad…so easy tto get married, so very hard to go out from that marriage.And here i am shouting for a divorce

February 7, 2011 at 10:05 am
(69) J says:

Priest never experienced a married life…So they dont have the right to object…

July 24, 2011 at 6:54 am
(70) phillip says:

you are right

February 8, 2011 at 4:35 am
(71) wash says:

divorce should be implemented in order to help those relationships that are no longer stable but think a lot of what the children will feel about it.

March 30, 2011 at 6:32 pm
(72) bhing says:

devorce should be legalized in the philippines , catholic church and politics wont let them cos most of the politian is also one of them. politicians a lots of mestress and currupt

June 1, 2011 at 12:14 am
(73) james says:

divorce is not a solution…. kung hindi ka nmn tanga bkit ka kc mag aasawa diba kung hihilingin mo lng nmn ang divorce..
Bkit di nlng mkipaglive in kung divorce ang nsa uatak diba.. kung balak mo magkipagdivorce better mkipag live in k nlng

July 8, 2011 at 2:54 am
(74) marie kaisy says:

for filipino like us ,,,, mas maganda ang kasal dahil mas legal ang mga anak ,, kaya dapat me divorce dahil kung di maganda na ang pagsasama ng mag asawa , para na rin legal ang paghihiwalay ,,,
sagradfo nga ang kasal ,, pero sa puntong di fair ang relationship ,, mas maganda ang divorce,,,

June 6, 2011 at 1:21 am
(75) levi says:

As a catholic i’m not in favor of divorce.Pope Benedict XVI urged to courageous in defence of the tradiitional family. Our lawmakers should put laws all things that favour familes not separate them

August 11, 2011 at 4:10 am
(76) seth says:

I am American, I know if i go back to USA and file a divorce its possible for my soon to be x wife to to get married again in the Philippines after she partition the certificate thing, question is can i also get remarried in Philippines? I have 2 children, but i plan on coming back and getting married to the right women and also working and providing for both my families, or both kids. the other lady, don’t care about going to USA, she cares more of having a family.

August 28, 2011 at 1:23 am
(77) Maritess Dela Cruz says:

I believe that the Philippines should have a divorce, if the couple is no longer have an healthy relationship…

Even in the bible scripture, permitted the Divorce,

Matthew 5:31-32 [31] “It has been said, ‘Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.’

Deuteronomy 24:1-4 If a man marries a woman who becomes displeasing to him because he finds something indecent about her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce, gives it to her and sends her from his house

[And her second marriage also ends,] [4] then her first husband, who divorced her, is not allowed to marry her again

But Not for Any Reason

[32] But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.

September 13, 2011 at 9:19 am
(78) nathz says:

it is said on the constitution of the Philippines (art XV sec 1-2) that the state shall strengthen and promote in the total development of the family, and marriage, as the foundation of the family must be protected…

so based on my analysis…
HB 1799 is unconstitutional,,,

and besides… DIVORCE is not an answer to any physical, emotional violence…

September 13, 2011 at 11:23 am
(79) Austin Cline says:

DIVORCE is not an answer to any physical, emotional violence…

Right, because if you legitimately fear that someone might be trying to harm or kill you, it’s not an “answer” to actually try to get away from that person…

October 7, 2011 at 4:09 am
(80) Dha-dha says:

Divorce is not the answer!. What will happen to the children?. What will happen to their future life?.. NO to DIVORCE!. Think a thousand times before enter into marriage life.

October 7, 2011 at 5:10 pm
(81) Austin Cline says:

What will happen to the children?.

What will happen to them with an abusive parent?

NO to DIVORCE!.

Then don’t have one – but don’t presume to prevent others from having one.

December 10, 2011 at 5:58 am
(82) hazel says:

yeah i second the motion!

December 10, 2011 at 6:34 am
(83) hazel says:

I want divorce. For all the reasons said and for all the good and bad I will get from it… each one has the right to live his or her life the he or she wants it…. To all the anti Divorce we don’t ask you to follow us if you don’t want to… This cause is for our cause… You can give your opinion but please do not let us suffer the life when you yourself are not the one who lives it… It’s easy for you to say that DIVORCE is not a solution because you are not in the same position… You are not the ones who are dying slowly because of psychological, emotional and physical sufferings…

February 15, 2012 at 7:12 am
(84) anonymous says:

we love pls.. let us open our eyes and accept that divorce law should be approved in our country! more power to gabriela…. no to father DAMASO!

March 25, 2012 at 4:09 am
(85) destiny says:

I WANT DIVORCE!!! Life is not that long – that shud be wasted only to stay with the one who want to kick my ash. There is no worth living together just to show in public that family stay together, but actually it does not have any sense…pretending to be one – while actually inside is already broken.. I base my opinion to my own experienced.. – from this matter – u given us freedom

April 10, 2012 at 12:05 pm
(86) Jake says:

For me im not i favor of divorce ,, look at the western countries now… if you can see marriage has a little difference from being an unmarried lovers … they can easily broke up.. what’s the sense of marriage if they can’t stand and fight for it? in my opinion i would rather have a law that will make marriage harder like having testimonies that their love is true, implement some laws that gives penalty to those who can’t stand for it , and for me i think the government should be strict about fighting abuse.. divorce is not a solution.. what’s wrong with the society today is that they easily trust a person then marry him/her even he/she didn’t even know what kind of person is.. marriage is not just little things that can easily be thrown away… Know your lover before you get married ..

August 2, 2012 at 11:19 am
(87) budoy bubba says:

it is sad that the church say one thing then do anothet just like other churches…but my frienf husband left her 2-3 weeks befor she had their baby its been 21 years now but she cant afforid the money for the anulmint ,,what so sad is her brother is like a big time DA lawer ,,an the men dont pay child support its kinda like here in the us in the 30-60-s where the men preach dont fuck around but they do it an its ok but if the lady do it shes a whore ,,,,hummm an they all preach to God…..

August 2, 2012 at 7:35 pm
(88) Austin Cline says:

The majority of vaccinations today are as unnecessary as they are potentially dangerous and primarily used as steady income for big Pharma.

Prove it.

January 12, 2013 at 10:26 am
(89) che says:

pro divorse! open our eyes and heart! for all those women n ngsasuffer sa maling marriage nila…hindi nila ginustong abusuhin sila at matali sa walang kwentang lalaki…pero karapatan nilang maging masaya at malaya! Do u think theyr going to b hapi kng nakatali pdn cla?

February 11, 2013 at 7:33 am
(90) pure says:

One thing SURE: It’s better to have a DIVORCE than ANNULMENT because in divorce it is acknowledged that there was MARRIAGE at first but didn’t work so why make so many MARTYRS? while ANNULMENT – there is no marriage to SPEAK of. For people who are judgmental to those who advocate for DIVORCE be sure you’ve got lots of experiences in LIFE – 16 year old girl or boy versus a man or a woman in his/her 50′s? WHAT MORAL AUTHORITY CAN YOU GET AND WHERE IN THE WORLD YOU GET SUCH JUDGMENT? TIME HAS COME FOR FILIPINOS TO BE THINKING. LIFE IS SHORT AND YOU’RE PUNISHING YOURSELF WITH MARRIAGE THAT ALMOST KILLS ? COME’ON FELLOWS! THIS IS NOT JUST FOR CONVENIENCE!

February 20, 2013 at 10:14 pm
(91) Tom Magone says:

I am an American that was married in the Philippines while stationed at Clark AB. I divorced in the states and my ex wife remarried in the states to an American. She is filipina. I came back to the Philippines and wanted to get married but cant because I am still considered to be married here. Totally unfair. I even tried to get the courts to recognize my divorce, but because my ex wife was not here to comment on the preceedings, was disapproved.

March 7, 2013 at 8:43 pm
(92) lyn says:

Hi everyone..I’m very happy reading such deffirent opinions bout DIVORCE in the Philippines.Honestly I’m one of those women who suffered for failed marriage and as well a battered wife.I’m here now working abroad as OFW and my first reason why I’m here is just to save money for my annulment.Please I need some advice…Actually I married twice both legal and registered in LCR.The first marriage was last 2000 and I didn’t know it was legal and registered because as I remember we’re having license seminar for marriage then suddenly the LCR in charge called us and said the Mayor is now ready for the ceremony so we go to his office and start the ceremony my ist xhusbnd before was an army.After the ceremony we went in a separate ways because that time his having another lady and the purposed of that marriage is just for him to pay my bills in the hospital during my delivery because that time my bby was stuck in the hospital for almost 4 mos because the father abondoned us and e responsible and to marry him is the condition and for him also not to be discharged frm seevice but the story was the same for a short story he never help me at all and we separated already before we get that marriage ceremony.My 2nd marriage was 2006 in a Judge ceremony because that time I used my single name without declaring that I was married before rthinking that it was invalid coz I’m still young.The LCR never asked me a CENOMAR so the ceremony was done.After a marriage I discovered un acceptable attitude of my xhusbnd,bit me physically and was involved to another woman until ill file a case againts him in our barangay but sad to say still didn’t work so I decided to leave him for good and work abroad we don’t have a child.Please advice me what to do? I really wanted to have my freedom at all.please don’t post my email add. I’m hoping for the respond of my problem.I want to go for annulment but I can’t afford…thank u and God bless.

March 11, 2013 at 12:41 pm
(93) Tom says:

First things first, I respect how people think and believe.
But it’s not an agrument to just refer to a book or just say think before you say yes etc, I never hear good argument from people who are agains a divorce law.
Can people look in the future, can people never change, what is sacret about a marridge?
Abuse, abandon your wife and kids, never take care of them after it, alcohol abuse or drugs, adutery and so on..is this the sacret of a marridge?
Everyone in the Phillipines knows these things are happening and it’s common to, but still people are talking about the sacret of marridge, still think it can be polished away in time, still think they can look in the future. Just wake up people, it’s a law out of the stone ages, when women had no right at all no right to speak or think(and ghee also in that time all the things I mentioned occur). Ask yourself why the Phillipines is(beside the vatican) the only country in the world who hasn’t a divorce law. Ask yourself why so many Phillipines look for happines outside there country. Is it maybe because a certain group of men still wants the benefits and the pleasure of a woman, but not the duty’s and responsebility’s that comes with it ??…the stone age thinking ?? Well I don’t know..but it makes me thinking.

April 10, 2013 at 9:58 pm
(94) jonie says:

Much better if they will allow divorce herein the Philippines as much as possible… just like me I am forced to marry a girl because of her pregnancy.

May 21, 2013 at 5:25 am
(95) Joy says:

It’s really easy to say because your not the one experiencing being battered and emotionally tortured I agree with the divorce I hope it will be soon :/)

May 21, 2013 at 12:33 pm
(96) bebang says:

please pass the divorce law in the philippines… i was married july 2007 ( i was 20) but before then i really have no plan to married because i am pregnant and for my family dignity i was decided to enter the marriage life, but after 6 months my husband left us and i found out he live with another woman, so i came home with my family and decided to work to support my kid as my husband never ever give even a piso for us. and now he live his new family with their kid as well… please give me justice… i cant afford the annulment so expensive for me to who become a father and a mother of my child… SUPPORT THE DIVORCE BILL for those women who are injustice with a failure marriages.

May 31, 2013 at 11:44 am
(97) Donald says:

I have a problem with this and the problem is man are allowed to leave there wifes and find another and not divorce and leave the wife hanging with no support from the husband and these woman have to find a jobs which means they have to find on there yeah right, or leave there children and go to another county to work and leave there kids that is wrong. These man get other girlfriends and have new family and abandon there children. Inmost cases these kids end up in the streets. with no where to live. The word is no suppose you like that there and the church approves of this please. Lots of these woman end up working in bars which is a big business just because they have to try and support here kids. Lots of these woman have more then one child and it makes it every hard to support these kids. I know abandon kids end up in to crime there to support themselves. And, the crime rate is high in the islands and you wonder why get your head out of your but and smell the roses. The future in the Philippines isn’t looking good to me and I proud to be Filipino but until you straiten out this problem things will never change there for the good. I’m from the states and we have the “dead beat dads laws which assures that these children are given the support by forcing the fathers to support these kid or the law will get you. Doc there pay if needed and monitor then ti assure the kids are taken care of and have the financial support they need to survive. In California the law is expanded to assure that the kids are well covered in a divorce. And, that the responsibility is covered by both parents. If the church is part of this problem. They need to review this problem and correct it for these families NOW. Because this is a big mistake and it needs some help. You ladies vote and this should be your number 1 issue for all women concerted. Tell your government to reacted for there future now…The Manila Bulletin should support this bills for there people

June 27, 2013 at 9:38 am
(98) ALicia says:

We really need divorce in the Philippines. Yes it may destroy the sanctity of marriage but what is sanctity when even if there is marriage but there is no obligation that one of the parties should be responsible of. We may say that we have to think twice before going in to the married life but people Girlfriend/boyfriend life is really different because there are no rope that ties the couple. in a marriage there is already the rope that ties them specially the women. Divorce is not only for the happiness of the parties invloved but also for the safety of the children because a broken family in a bad situation for any child/parent but a whole family that is trying to pretend that everythinfis okay is even worse.

March 10, 2014 at 7:41 pm
(99) dan champoux says:

why is the church persisting on dictating our life when they are a bunch of pedophiles in a screw-up religion .don’t they get it wee don’t believe in there doctrines any more science has proven them wrong . the west is bailing out so they are after the poor and desperate .so if a couple wants a divorce its no business of the churches.