1. Religion & Spirituality

Austin Cline

Deism vs. Atheism

By February 20, 2004

Sandia asks: Does anyone have much experience with Deism? Supposedly those that believe in that way think there is a sentient creator that is our there but no longer involved with the creation. I look at that philosophy and have to wonder what type of being could enjoy sitting back and watching all of us down here unless that said being is some sort of cosmic sicko who made us for his/her/it's own entertainment.... Was anyone on here a Deist before making the change to atheism or did most of everyone skip that step? Do we really want to hold onto the notion of a god for security reasons or out of habit?

Deism was originally developed as part of the movement to create a "rational" religion which could replace the traditional religions - generally viewed as being rife with superstition and nonsense. While deism might indeed more "rational" than traditional religious systems, does that really mean that it is reasonable? What would be the point in such a god? Read More...

Comments
May 3, 2010 at 1:23 pm
(1) dawn says:

What would be the point? There is no point. Sometimes I fall into the deist camp, and there is no point to the deist “god.” That doesn’t mean that they don’t think ne exists, but it’s not a deity like the Abrahamic God. To be honest, it makes much more sense to me than a god that would actually answer prayers and do miraculous things.

May 28, 2012 at 11:21 pm
(2) Rusty says:

I am a Deist to me the three rational theologies are Deism, Atheism, and Agnosticism. These theologies rely on reason which I have used to conclude that the universe is the product of an intelligent conscious universal force. But I have no knowledge of who God is or what attributes he has. I just use my reason I consider myself an agnostic Deist because I concluded that a Creative Force exists the term God is too anthropomorphic to me but I have no idea as to anything about the Divine Creator. To me it is simply a matter man cannot possibly understand as to find out who The creator is. As for Atheism no offense to anyone I just see Atheism as simple minded saying god doesn’t exist using science as it’s tool when science itself offers no evidence for or against the existence of any deity. As Albert Einstein said “Science without religion is lame, Religion without Science is Blind”. I of course don’t believe in revealed religions or organized religion I believe in spinoza’s god or the Aristotelian god. I hope this helps someone in figuring themselves out

February 19, 2013 at 2:32 pm
(3) Daniel says:

I am a Deist. I converted to Deism from Christianity. I rejected Christianity because I had a hard time rationalizing the Bible and other Christian beliefs. However, I cannot shake my belief in God, simply because I cannot look around me and convince myself that everything just happened randomly. The world and the universe are just too big and complex for that. Trust me, I tried very hard to reject the existance in God, but I just could not logically convince myself. That is why I am not an Atheist or a Christian, and am now a Deist.

March 5, 2013 at 10:10 am
(4) Grandpa In The East says:

To Daniel

Your name is itself suspect. Were you indoctrinated throughout your childhood?

Have you ever read a book on logic, reason, and the like?

You said, “The world and the universe are just too big and complex for that. [for everything to have just happened randomly. Too big? And it’s growing. Daniel, the bigger the universe the more likely a greater variety of “things”can happen. Even you.

Grandpa

PS The universe does not care what you cannot do,,,,Like shake your stupid belief in “God.”

March 6, 2013 at 6:59 pm
(5) VER says:

Greetings : Grandpa in the East

It’s amazing you mentioned “logic, reason and the like ” when in fact a lot of atheist such as yourself I suppose beiieve in ” something coming from nothing”, ” multiverse ” ,” prebiotic soup”, panspermia, puntuated equillibrium. Talk about reasons and logic. Can you comment on this without being rude but reasonable and logical ?

VER

March 14, 2013 at 9:06 pm
(6) Victoria says:

Daniel, just give it time. I am 57. I started out as some sort of Christian (not understanding it at all), then a born-again Christian for a couple of years in my 20′s. After that it was a secular mode, with a god lurking now and then in my brain. Then back into a god in the cosmos somewhere but not Christian. I read about Buddhaism, and others and tipped my toes into some new age stuff, back to a secular life and finally admitted that I just had no belief in any god at all – atheist, the happiest and most free I have ever been. What is really odd is that my whole life I have been a math and science person. I guess the two sides of my brain fought until the rational side finally won!